Notify
Tools

Launch Light
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
In Div 1 NHRA using that style of launch RPM device does it have to be spring loaded so you have to hold it or does it lock and you have to release it?

it's spring loaded and therefore has to be held.

I'll post a video of it being used late next month.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Ed, Yes, post a video of how you use it in your car. If you can post one of it actually being use in the race it’d be even better.

I watched much of the Loose Rocker St. Patrick's Classic, March 16-18 @ VMP, 5/10/5 Top & Footbrake race, and while watching some of the FB cars, could hear the rpms up perty high after lighting the stage light.

I wish we had this class in my area so I could learn and use this technique.

Posts: 2472 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've seen similar to that made with a Prostick, just wasn't sure if it locked or was spring loaded to return to neutral position and had to be held.

Posts: 1466 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Ed, Yes, post a video of how you use it in your car. If you can post one of it actually being use in the race it’d be even better.

I watched much of the Loose Rocker St. Patrick's Classic, March 16-18 @ VMP, 5/10/5 Top & Footbrake race, and while watching some of the FB cars, could hear the rpms up perty high after lighting the stage light.

I wish we had this class in my area so I could learn and use this technique.

The video will be in use, while staging.

Quite a few footbrake cars here in the NE have Dan's stage controller.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Where in div1 rules is it written that this controller is Legal, only thing I can find is throttle control by drivers foot,and no other device can affect throttle operation,just asking

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ed Quintell,

Posts: 51 | Location: SAN LEANDRO CA | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Many factory carbs had fast idle solenoids mounted. Many racers still use them.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
they have been illegal in NHRA Division 1 Pro Eliminator for about 20 years.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I used a lighted toggle switch on my dash to enable the circuit for the brake line pressure switch/RPM limiter. It was only turned on after the burnout, and flipped off during the run.
Here is why I used the setup: Back when I was running Div V, in the Sportsman ET class, it was considered "No E", (meaning no box/no brake), but you could use a single stage rev limiter: Your choice of whether to use the stage/launch limiter, or the max RPM limiter. (That rule may have changed in the past 10 years). So you could pull your high end chip and use the stage/launch limiter.
I have always staged at idle, then raised the RPM up to launch. It is much easier to stage very precisely at a lower RPM, taking smaller bumps into the beams. After pure footbraking for many years, I could easily bring up my RPM's to within +/- 50 of my target by ear, without taking eyes off the tree to look at the tach. But I always had to aim for a 20 light, (just in case I was 50 or so high on my launch), to avoid bulbing it. In a game of precision, the limiter was another legal tool that allowed me to shave my average R/T range much closer to .01x-02x.
When I moved to Texas in 2008, I found out quickly that things are strictly footbrake down here, so the switch was only used in N/E Quick, and later during my 3 year assignment in Denver.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1041 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I did the toggle switch deal and I would forget to shut it during the run or forget to shut it all together. Then doing a burnout next pass it would only rev to launch RPM. What can I say, it's just me. The button on the wheel made it easier. I also have a very small LED on the dash that lights when the 3 step gets power on the launch circuit so I know it's working and I have enough brake pressure.

Posts: 1466 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I'm low buck so I made my own controller. I used a parachute handle and mounted it to the side of my shifter. The bolt is to adjust the rpm.

It cable hooks to a bolt on the bottom of the throttle linkage and can be used to set the rpm while staging and doubles as a safety (pull the handle) in case of a stuck throttle. (I also have a toe loop on the gas pedal) Linkage never goes over center as seen in the video.

https://youtu.be/zwsZzZHQhYk

Not gonna win best engineered with it but it serves it's purpose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomR,

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I also have a very small LED on the dash that lights when the 3 step gets power on the launch circuit so I know it's working and I have enough brake pressure.

Yep. I originally wired mine with fused 12V to the N.O. pressure switch, then ran the switch output to the lighted toggle on dash, then to the ignition box. So the toggle switch only lit up with brake line pressure. That hydraulic switch was super reliable, so I rewired things to light the switch whenever it was "On". That is what always reminded me to swat it off going down track.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1041 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bracketracer-78
posted Hide Post
Ed is right with this one. I know quite a few guys running a similar set up with the hand throttle. Any electric devices used in staging here in div 1 is not legal. Quite a few guys were using the hand throttle setup down in Virginia the other week.

Posts: 143 | Location: Stevens, PA | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Found this today looking for another rule so I thought I would post it here for those thinking the hand controller was illegal.

http://promod.nhra.com/Userfil...dments_3-21-2018.pdf

SECTION 4A: SUPER PRO, PRO, SPORTSMAN, ELECTRICAL: 8 STARTING
LINE CONTROLLERS (Add new section after MASTER CUTOFF) (Page 7)
(12/4/2017)
Only pneumatic starting line controllers permitted in Advance E.T. and Super Pro
only. Only mechanical starting line controllers permitted in Pro and Sportsman
only. Use of mechanical device must be completely in driver’s control. Release of
mechanical device must be spring activated only (released on full throttle
activation). All other forms of starting line controllers prohibited in all E.T. classes.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
^^^

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed, the cable mount at the bottom of the picture is off center about a sixteenth of an inch or so. Let’s get that corrected as soon as possible.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that's it, no more photos. NahNahTounge

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So by the rulebook, these devices were illegal until December 4th 2017.

Posts: 523 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Didn't think of that Wrong

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The rulebook is wrong?

Posts: 523 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the rule above shows it was revised in 2017, however these manual starting line controllers have been legal in division 1 for over 2 decades, since they made idle solenoids illegal