Find
Notify
Tools

Launch Light
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
many times p u s s y

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
All talk and no proof to back it up.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Banjo why not just use a choke cable? Many do. Oh glad you back on here.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! this train really went off of the tracks!
I always wanted to try using an MSD window switch to see if it would be accurate enough to turn the light on and off with chips set close to each other.
Anyone try it?

On the manual lauch RPM setup it has to be spring loaded to be legal, doesn't it? I've seen people do the choke cable deal and forget to push it off, lots of fun at the shutdown!

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
It usually does, here.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Section 4B NHRA Rulebook
quote:
DELAY BOX/DEVICE
Permitted in Advanced E.T. and Super Pro only. Pneumatic
starting-line enhancers are permitted in Advanced E.T. and
Super Pro only. Any other type of (mechanical, electric, or
other) starting line aid prohibited in all ET classes. See General
Regulations 8:2.

just sayin'

What Ed has in his car and what I made only controls the staging rpm. It is not an SLE by any means. No different than using the choke cable on a holley carb. Just bumps the idle up to a pre-set RPM.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of N/E 434
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Banjo why not just use a choke cable? Many do. Oh glad you back on here.

I used a choke cable with a solid stop in my first racer, had it mounted where I could find it easy in the dark. It worked like a charm.

Posts: 2 | Location: San Angelo, Tx | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a choke cable is no comparison to this two stage RPM controller...

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
Originally posted by B Williams:
Eman what do you use for a brake pressure switch? and how is it wired?

I use a simple brake light switch that works on pressure, I can't remember the part # but I can look if you need it. It's a simple 2 terminal with 1/8" pipe threads. I know Jegs sells them but I bought it at the local parts store. Use bullet connectors that just push on the 2 terminals. I run 12v to it which activates the 3 step when I'm on the brake. If you use the brake at the finish line you have to figure a way to shut it off or it will stutter at the finish if you scrub the brake.

Here is the hydraulic (brake) pressure switch I have used for many years, at tracks that allow 2-steps/launch RPM limiters in footbrake/No-E.
Hyd Brake Lt Sw BWD S194
Probably the same one E-Man uses, has the male bullet connector pins. Borg Warner S194. Less than $9 and lifetime warranty at O'Reilly. I think it was originally spec'd as a replacement for a '79 AMC Spirit.
I plumbed it right near the M.C. - Added a 6 inch long brake line from M.C. to a brass "T" fitting with 3 female ports on it. Then attached the original brake line and switch. Make sure you bleed all of that air out, or any remaining bubbles will compress, and the "decompressing" of that air after you release the brakes will slow your reaction times. Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
That's the switch I use. I use a Hurst line lock and it screws right into it. I used to have a toggle switch to turn it on and off but it was a pain. I have a transbrake button on the wheel that I wired in the circuit so if I press it the brake pressure controls the launch RPM. Take my finger off and it won't stutter down track. I can unplug the button from that circuit and plug it into the TB circuit if I want to use the TB on the bottom and can also plug my delay box in and run top.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
any electric/electronic device that controls launch rpm as in 2-steps are not legal in a true footbrake class as contested in the Summit ET Series here in NHRA Division 1.

The only way to eliminate rpm creep is to remove your foot from the equation and replace it with your hand, mechanically holding the throttle open against a stop.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dumb, Dumber, and Eddie poo!

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
You guys can't hold your car at the proper rpm when staging ? Maybe you need to take up chess or something Big Grin

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
any electric/electronic device that controls launch rpm as in 2-steps are not legal in a true footbrake class as contested in the Summit ET Series here in NHRA Division 1.

The only way to eliminate rpm creep is to remove your foot from the equation and replace it with your hand, mechanically holding the throttle open against a stop.

NOT true foot brake if you need a crutch, might as well put a button in it.

Posts: 461 | Location: Indy | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
clueless comment^^^

Yes true. I've been competing in footbrake for 25 years and never have had any issue holding my cars at stage rpm. The reason why I and many of my competitors installed Dan's controller was to...

1. bump in at an RPM lower than stage RPM.
2. minimize the time we are on the converter once staged. In my case, at 4000+ rpm.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoagie:
quote:

??

So a delay box is a crutch?

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
quote:
quote:

??

Who said anything about a delay box?

Posts: 461 | Location: Indy | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
In Div 1 NHRA using that style of launch RPM device does it have to be spring loaded so you have to hold it or does it lock and you have to release it?

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
quote:
quote:

??

Who said anything about a delay box?

Or Button is a crutch?

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brian, don't try to make sense out of stupidity.