DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    King Racing HP Bearings - Good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

King Racing HP Bearings - Good?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
Anybody using them in a build / race engine? How is the quality and dimensional accuracy? Good, Bad, or somewhere in-between?
Does not say if they are made in USA or not.

Got an email from Competition Products today, 24 hour Flash Sale.

$102.99 for full King High Performance BBC Mains and Rod set. Says BBC, All Size combinations, they have Std, .010, .020, and "X" (+.001) undersize.
(And they offer Free shipping over $99).
Here is a link:

CP Rod+Main BBC Kits

Sale is good until 3:00 PM tomorrow (Thursday 7-22). Assuming it is Central Time, IIRC they are in Wisconsin?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Good, they're made in Western civilization.

I've used King bearings a bunch, for a bunch of years.

Good.

Made in Israel.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Yes the are excellent bearings that's all I run. I have used them for years.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Anybody using them in a build / race engine? How is the quality and dimensional accuracy? Good, Bad, or somewhere in-between?
Does not say if they are made in USA or not.

Got an email from Competition Products today, 24 hour Flash Sale.

$102.99 for full King High Performance BBC Mains and Rod set. Says BBC, All Size combinations, they have Std, .010, .020, and "X" (+.001) undersize.
(And they offer Free shipping over $99).
Here is a link:

That's a great deal I just bought a set.

CP Rod+Main BBC Kits

Sale is good until 3:00 PM tomorrow (Thursday 7-22). Assuming it is Central Time, IIRC they are in Wisconsin?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Never used them but was curious how they compare to clevite as far as design? Also relative sizing compared to clevite.
https://www.speed-talk.com/for...php?t=59796&start=15

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Over the past 30 years I’ve had race engines built by 4 of the biggest names amongst professional sportsman race engine builders as well a local part time builder who posts here and not one of them had/has King bearings. All had/has Clevite bearings. THAT should tell you all you need to know.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
King bearings are nothing new, both these engines had King bearings, both 23 degree sbc

Both built in the same week by myself in 2007, one a 434 and the other 421.

Wiseco pistons and King bearings came standard in Lunati Pro Series rotating assemblies, back as far as 2007, when both these engines were built.

Clevite are quality as well, I run them in my latest engine, I currently run 427 sbc.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem with Clevite Tri Metal. Ain't broke. No fix is needed. Since the early 70's. Sure i have run over the rods a couple of times due to bolt failure back in the day. But all is well.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I used King bearings in this, it hasn't reached anywhere near its potential, but went 5.20's off the trailer, making it top ten on the planet, DXP Street trim.

3000 lbs, cheater plate , cast base plate 4150 carb, DOT 275 radial.

It's a fairly high rent unit.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
I did research on them a while back, if I remember correctly they are from Israel. I looked them up because the the clearance was inconstant. When measuring the shells with a ball mic I found some were very inconsistent, it took 2 sets to achieve desired results. The engine they are in works fine, but myself, I will steer away. These came as part of a complete rotating assembly.

Posts: 109 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WILDMAN:
I did research on them a while back, if I remember correctly they are from Israel. I looked them up because the the clearance was inconstant. When measuring the shells with a ball mic I found some were very inconsistent, it took 2 sets to achieve desired results. The engine they are in works fine, but myself, I will steer away. These came as part of a complete rotating assembly.

That's pretty typical / common china crankshaft.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
the bearing shells were the issue, they where inconsistent. It took 2 standard sets.

Posts: 109 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Every set Of kings I have used was consistent. Always .0005 bigger oil clearance vs the same clevite. The mains have a partial oil groove extended into the bottom bearing which seems like a good idea. I think Kings might lose tension a little easier than a clevite. I also think they had a little bit of a flaking issue a few years back but they wouldn’t admit it. Never actually caused me any problems though.

Ive only used their soft bearings, never tried their trimetal.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
the bearing shells were the issue, they where inconsistent. It took 2 standard sets.

Oh wow, you bought another set of King rod and main bearings, and the second set checked out good?

Or used both sets to achieve preferred clearances?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sizing always checked good for me.
The problem I’ve seen lately is the bearing shell is flaking apart.

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Gasoline engines get King Allecular bearings, Alky engines get HP Series Clevites.

I've taken 700 to 1200 run Kings out and they look brand new.
I always Scotch Brite both sides of a new bearing before installation.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Gasoline engines get King Allecular bearings, Alky engines get HP Series Clevites.

I've taken 700 to 1200 run Kings out and they look brand new.
I always Scotch Brite both sides of a new bearing before installation.

The last few sets of Mahle/Clevite have had the embossment proud enough that they need filing to get the bearing to be flat and not have the embossment affect the clearance where it is high. 2 hrs prepping bearings.
No worries, no engine builders do that s hit. they just stuff em in. Worn green brite works good.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
We've ran King Brgs for at least 2 decades.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Clevite bearings have a softer babbit than king bearings. To the point that anyone who uses bearing measurements for analysis of the tune up (blown alcohol/heavy nitrous) , Kings are unusable. A bearing with a moly coat might not matter. I am speaking of tri-metal being readable.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Oh wow, you bought another set of King rod and main bearings, and the second set checked out good?

Or used both sets to achieve preferred clearances?
My supplier got me another set, and yes, between the 2 sets I was able to get a good set with a couple decent for the shelf. These were rod bearings, the mains were fine. I understand what you are saying about the crankshaft journal tolerance, I have been down that road with customers that have bought their own junk and dropped it off. I have also talked to others that have had the same issue with the rod bearings. Just my experience and sharing since questions were asked.