DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    fuel pump and regulator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fuel pump and regulator
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Racers,
tell me about your successful results with Methanol electric fuel pump and regulator, carburetor, around 750 horsepower natural aspirated.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
For years I ran the old Mallory Comp 250 for alcohol with good results. I have used the Aerospace Components 400? fuel pump with good results. I am not a fan of anything else from Aerospace Components like brakes or vacuum pump but the fuel pump has worked well.

I think the biggest key to a successful fuel system is a good return style regulator. I will not ever run anything again with a deadhead style. You know that but maybe some of the newer people do not know.

The benefits of a return style in a race car is, 1. The pump only has to build same pressure you have regulator set at. That means if regulator is set at 7 PSI the pump to is at 7 where with a deadhead style the pump may be pumping 20 PSI and not circulating much fuel. It is sitting there running wide open against a load building heat and not moving much fuel.
2. The fuel is always moving quickly and so the carb pulls off as much as it can use while returning rest to the tank. With deadhead fuel is starting and stopping pulsing and your pressure may have spikes.
3. The pump draws considerably less amps pushing 7 PSI than at 20 or more. Less amps means it is easier on your electrical system to.
4. The fuel is always moving and staying cool, when it stops it will draw heat and for consistency you want everything possible, fuel, water, transmission even rear end to be the same temperature as possible through out the day.
5. With a return style regulator you are circulating all of the fuel through the filter constantly so it helps to keep your fuel cleaner. Where as with a deadhead style only fuel that goes to the carb goes through the filter.
6. Your fuel pump will last much longer if you run return style because it is running at lower pressure, fuel is always moving keeping it cooler and it is not working as hard or drawing as many amps. (Electrical heat)

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had great results with Areomotive A-2000 pump and their 4 port regulator on my vet-small block 2 4bl. 750s but dead head regulator rear mounted pump gas or alky now new car with magna fuel 500 with their 4 port regulator same motor has also worked ok vet used Rupert carbs nova has Pro Systems

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 407 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have used both the Aeromotive 2000 and currently the MagnaFuel 500. #10 line from tank to pump, #10 from pump to regulator and #10 return hose from Regulator.
Dead-headed the pump past the regulator with a gauge in the blocked off line to carb; set it at 26 psi by using regulator on pump and bypassing with #8 to tank to keep supply 26 psi rock solid.
Set regulator at 7 psi. Never had a stumble, flooding over, nothing but 7psi.
Alcohol with tank in the rear of a S10.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jok, what you described is what I plan to do. The last several builds have been front mounted cell with belt drive pump. For the build I am doing now the rear mounted cell is more practical.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Jok, what you described is what I plan to do. The last several builds have been front mounted cell with belt drive pump. For the build I am doing now the rear mounted cell is more practical.
This is what my builder is been my problem the whole time…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:

I've had really good luck going 5.80s with a rear cell and belt drive pump. Also rear mounted cable driven pumps are also a possibility.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The tanks in the bed of an S10 and lower mounted belt drive would probably be fine but I already have two elec pumps and to spend another $1500 doesn't seem necessary with 600-700 HP engines and all 1/8th mile.
The only advantage to belt drive is it takes load off the battery and charging system as these elec pumps suck up the amps.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
A-2000 also with rear cell 13 years no problems 5.60-5.70's 509 bbc

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As an experiment I plan to install a Magna Fuel 300 pump and a Quick Fuel, vacuum reference regulator. It will be late spring before I have performance and operating results.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Larry,
What do you think the vacuum referencing regulator is going to do for you?

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
B C, I have used them in other situations and doing so lowers the idle fuel pressure. I realize our big drag race cams do not have much idle vacuum, but it is enough to lower the fuel pressure slightly. Plus, at the shut down and light throttle opening driving it has enough vacuum to help.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You do realize that when you back out of the throttle the vacuum goes sky high and fuel pressure drops to a few pounds if that.

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
B C, yes, I am aware of how it works and know the amount of vacuum the engine has.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
larry, we tried 8 psi and it actually slowed us down, I think the bowls were full of air bubbles and it leaned it out. Went to 6.75-7 and its been deadly ever since. I only run 1/8th so I cannot say 7 psi is enough on the 1/4?? No idea and can't see finding out anytime soon.
We did a dead-head check before the regulator and my carb wanted to have 27-28 psi there. It flows a lot of fuel back into the tank when it's idling ;-)
Jok

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
400gph electric pump and Magnafuel return style regulator has been working well for me. 7psi.

Posts: 72 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post