Find
Notify
Tools

alky conversion
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Well, it was a pain, but it's done. Manifold is all plumbed up. Just waiting on tank to get here and we'll be ready to go test....I'm no pro, but I think it looks ok....I've got to rotate the fuel solenoid down 90* as it hits the scoop tray, but other than that it turned out pretty good.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Nice work. How much you throwing at it?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Max of about a 300-350 hit....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
looks great. I like that you are working on it in the kitchen.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Living room actually..... ah, the life of a bachelor....

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
the life of a bachelor

He** yes "Single and Sane" No screaming in the back ground.. >> Priceless....

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
It does have it's benefits!!!

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Benefits yes, until you get the right one. Second go round for both of us. Her only complaint, "its to hot", go figure, we live in Florida.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Update time! It's running! I still need to go in and change my base timing, check a few other things, put fresh plugs in and such, but I did get it all hooked up and running yesterday. It started a lot easier than I expected it to and it definitely rev'd cleaner than it did with carbs. My carbs were very responsive, but this is a tad better. The exhaust note changed slightly, maybe due to how alky burns? The other thing that is a big deal with me is engine temp. I ran the car for approx 3-4 min before I shut it down. On gas, my engine temp would have been 140-160*. On alky, the temp gauge never even moved...intake started frosting as well, also a first. I'm super excited about testing tomorrow, provided the little storm that's over us now blows over. If not, then I'll have to go a different time....not much I can do about the weather.....

Anyway, more updates to come!

Mark Goulette

DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
My tunnel ram always frosted up on start up. Where are you testing?

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Update time! It's running! I still need to go in and change my base timing, check a few other things, put fresh plugs in and such, but I did get it all hooked up and running yesterday. It started a lot easier than I expected it to and it definitely rev'd cleaner than it did with carbs. My carbs were very responsive, but this is a tad better. The exhaust note changed slightly, maybe due to how alky burns? The other thing that is a big deal with me is engine temp. I ran the car for approx 3-4 min before I shut it down. On gas, my engine temp would have been 140-160*. On alky, the temp gauge never even moved...intake started frosting as well, also a first. I'm super excited about testing tomorrow, provided the little storm that's over us now blows over. If not, then I'll have to go a different time....not much I can do about the weather.....

Anyway, more updates to come!

Welcome to alcohol. For future starts you should make sure you get the engine up to temp. Unless you are preheating the block and oil. Not getting it up to temp can lead to milky oil.

Scott

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 358T,

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Coloradoracer, are you using the same radiator as when you were running on Gas?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Markemark, yes. Didn't get to test today, track said they would be open and they weren't. 100 miles there, 100 miles back for nothing. Ugh. Went to Bradenton.

I do plan to get it up to temp, just started it to check for leaks and such. It does idle a bit low though so need to tweak it a bit.

Mark Goulette