DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    mid-rise scissor lift ownership feedback
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mid-rise scissor lift ownership feedback
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Because I sold my automotive shop and have set up shop in my home garage my lift options have changed.

The garage has an 8-foot ceiling so I must accommodate that limitation while lifting the car as high as possible.

The car is my personal 3rd gen Camaro, "Lamplighter" project and this is the only thing the lift will be used for. While under construction and then when completed the Lamplighter will weigh less than 3,000 pounds.

My intention is being able to lift the Camaro high enough to work under it while seated on a roll-around stool.

I want to hear about your personal experience plus the brand of lift and who you bought it from.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a 2 post baseplate lift? These do come with shorter columns that can fit in an 8’ ceiling.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://www.bestbuyautoequipme...-lift-p/attd-6mr.htm

I don't have this lift but did buy a two post 9k from them and have been happy with it.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This looks interesting.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipme...-lift-p/msc-6klp.htm

They also have one that bolts to the floor. Not sure I wouldn’t have nightmares about either one of those though.

I bought a set of bendpak quickjack scissor lifts that give me around 17”. You’re Not going to roll around on a stool, but I can service/remove the trans in both the race car and most street cars. That was important for me. Plus I got them on sale.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just purchased an atlas midrise from greg smith equipment I have an 80 Camaro I use it for max hight is 54inches I love it they have a warehouse in texas mine was 1949.00 with shipping.

Posts: 14 | Location: illinois | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
RaceTaz,

That is one of the deals I am strongly considering. The Forth Worth warehouse offers that lift for $1,650.00 picked up at their dock.

I can easily drive there so it is a good option.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
RaceTaz,

Judging by the photos the mid-section of the car is the only restricted area, is that correct?

Do you have reasonable access to install, engine, Powerglide, or third member?

Is it possible to slightly shift the car forward or rearward to gain access?

Do you have reasonable access to work from a roll around chair?

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
https://www.bestbuyautoequipme...-lift-p/attd-6mr.htm

I don't have this lift but did buy a two post 9k from them and have been happy with it.

I don't have that one in the link but at work we use some that are real similar; and they are the most frequently used tool in the shop, period. Second most frequently used is a fluid evacuator.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
plenty of room to roll around under engine install is not a problem the trans is not possible and the rear end is no problem I am going to buy tall frame jack stands to do the trans on mine

Posts: 14 | Location: illinois | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
looked at those basically scissor lift jacks people posted on here. Don't think I like those cant get easily to the area covered by the jack. I saw some short 2 post jacks and those look like the best for all around access to under the car. I'm sure they lift higher than what the ceiling will allow but then you don't have to raise it all the way. I shopping around for something like the short two post lifts but not going to pay 2k to get it. The search continues and the struggle is real Praying

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I saw this while picking up my tire machine.. pretty neat, but I noticed its too tall

http://www.tuxedodistributors...._quick.pdf#view=fitV

Rick Huffman
Accelerated Graphics
Why was everyone Kung Fu Fighting?

Posts: 598 | Location: Burleson TX | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The garage has an 8-foot ceiling so I must accommodate that limitation while lifting the car as high as possible.

I'd buy a standard 2 post lift or drive on for a short ceiling and just limit your height.

Scissor lifts are so limited ........

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have ordered a Titan SL6600 mid-rise scissor lift that will provide 50" of lift. Once it is installed I will report back.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of CLARMO
posted Hide Post
We work on cars with Pro-Jacks all the time. I was looking at these and they are portable enough you could even take them to the track.
https://www.quickjack.com/

Posts: 12 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLARMO:
We work on cars with Pro-Jacks all the time. I was looking at these and they are portable enough you could even take them to the track.

Costco has the 5000 on sale right now... I’ve been thinking about a set.

Costco Quick Jack

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
quote:
Originally posted by CLARMO:

Costco has the 5000 on sale right now... I’ve been thinking about a set.

Costco Quick Jack

I can vouch for QuickJacks. I've had them about 3 years and I do all my work in the garage using them. I've even pulled a transmission using them although it was a bit tricky with the clearance. But I was able to get it done.

They are very safe too. I've never not felt safe using them.

david

Posts: 10 | Location: rochester | Registered: November 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post