DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gooseneck w/6' bed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gooseneck w/6' bed
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have seen the extenders and they will help, not fix the issue.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Some people have problems no matter what set up they have you also have to watch when truck and trailer aren’t on level ground seen a couple people hit with trailers while pulling into driveway that goes up hill were they clear on level ground

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tyler Laue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Does that work?
I'd like to have the option of the shorter bed on a crew cab dually, but is it compatible with a gooseneck trailer?

What is the distance from the front of the box to the ball?

Posts: 18 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Can you explain the box over hitch comment. Making sure I understand.

Also, are you saying that pulling forward, he could turn hard enough to interfere between the trailer and cab? I'm used to a tag, where you really can never get into trouble going forward. But of course you can get into all sorts of trouble backing. Is there not enough room on a 6.5' to make a sharp turn into a driveway or gas station?

If you’re on the roof of the trailer and look down from the front edge, can you see the gooseneck coupler, or is it beneath the trailer body?

A trailer made for a short bed truck will have the coupler extended forward of the trailer body.

The corner of the trailer doesn’t care which direction you are traveling as it crushes your cab corner.

Excellent info from you and others thank you.

The thing I was asking about forward travel, is that there is a limit as to how tight your combo can actually achieve based upon the truck's cut angle and how far away from the ball the rear axles are. Eventually the trailer is following you and you can't get the angle smaller. Now maybe with the rear axles so far back on a goose trailer, it's so slow to react that the angle continues to close as forward motion happens at full cut? As soon as you back up, all bets would be off. There is no limit to the decreasing angle.
I have to look at this trailer to see where the ball is now that I understand what you were saying there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Laue:
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Does that work?
I'd like to have the option of the shorter bed on a crew cab dually, but is it compatible with a gooseneck trailer?

What is the distance from the front of the box to the ball?

That became moot when I ordered a standard long bed truck.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1672 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
bucky what i am trying to is yea going forward he could not get out my drive.i could with mine .hope this helps

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
bucky what i am trying to is yea going forward he could not get out my drive.i could with mine .hope this helps

Thanks Russ. This isn't the ideal nor eventual truck for this trailer overall. But giving this style of trailer a trial run this season, and don't want to get rid of a truck that is ideal for everything else I use it for, if the trailer doesn't work out for us. May look at offset goose extender and/or offset ball.

Any preferences here on style and brand of hitch for the truck? I just looked at the Curt turnover hitch, and watched the install video. That looks pretty straight forward. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to drop the tank. Looks like I don't.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Bucky how many people go with you? Can you put a camper in yours? With a side thru glass? then just run a 24Ft. tag enclosed. Don't know if that is legal or not. Safety issues maybe. I have just the opposite of you.4 dr. and maybe 1 person rides.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Bucky how many people go with you? Can you put a camper in yours? With a side thru glass? then just run a 24Ft. tag enclosed. Don't know if that is legal or not. Safety issues maybe. I have just the opposite of you.4 dr. and maybe 1 person rides.

It's a crew cab, and three of us. I'm not a huge fan of the slide in's since I use the truck for other stuff. And would still need a 34' to get the two dragsters and a golf cart in. A stacker just isn't in the cards right now. I basically never buy anything that I can't pay cash for. And the stackers are obscene at the moment. We bought the gooseneck and we still have our other setup. Will see how the gooseneck works for us and choose a direction from there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of fast5982
posted Hide Post
https://www.campingworld.com/4...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

have two of these so we can pull either gooseneck with a short bed (price is double what we paid 4 years ago)

Posts: 7 | Location: Dubuque, IA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fast5982:

have two of these so we can pull either gooseneck with a short bed (price is double what we paid 4 years ago)

How greatly did that affect the truck squat and handling?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of fast5982
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by fast5982:

How greatly did that affect the truck squat and handling?
handling was no real change, slightly less squat compared to a standard hitch - reduces weight on the hitch just a bit.... only downside was it increased the lenth 18"

Posts: 7 | Location: Dubuque, IA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The XL HD. Found this this morning from them. Your 16 weigh about 74 lbs?.

https://goosenecktowing.com/product/sb116xl

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
The XL HD. Found this this morning from them. Your 16 weigh about 74 lbs?.

https://goosenecktowing.com/product/sb116xl

That thing is stout!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mario428
posted Hide Post
When I bought mine ( 5th Wheel ) the pin was behind the front face of the trailer. We cut it off and put an angled hitch on that put the pin about a foot ahead of the front face of the trailer. Hitch was a couple inches ahead of the axle centerline, 35 footer and towed great with a gas F250.
Could not jack knife it like an 8 foot box can but it would turn very sharp, sharper than a bumper tow

Posts: 984 | Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canad*** | Registered: July 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
So basically you extended the (5) pin box forward?

On mine it came with the goose and i converted it to the (5) since i already had the (5) hitch for the RV. I never cared for the ball shank on a goose. Where the ball shank is the thinnest. I have seen them snap. The (5) size is 2". My old boss lost his trailer coming from union grove after an event on 294. The ball snapped off. i work on semi's for a living. The pins are strong.

I have a go/no go gauge that i check these pins with. Once the pins get worn, and they do, a new pin is welded in.

Rule of thumb, always check the GVW of the ball rating with what you think you might be grossed at in the trailer. Ex.. 12K ball rating, towing 16K lbs. You be surprised how many are going down the road under rated.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post