DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    350 transmission with trans brake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 transmission with trans brake
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
For those of you who race a 350 transmission with a trans brake. Please give me your feedback about doing so. Have you raced with both a Powerglide and 350 trans?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Yes.
A TH-350 with a trans brake doesn't last long, and the range ratios aren't optimum.
Speaking of high 6 second 1/8th mile car at 3000 lbs. plus.

I think I got a total of 18 runs on one before it was shredded internally. I got slightly more runs out of the 2 pukeglitches I owned.

60' times will be slightly different, but the end ET should be near identical, the obvious consistency choice will be the ......er,....ummmm, pukeglitch. Eek

I said what I said.

For the best of all worlds (fun to drive, consistent,and durability), a custom ratio TH-400 is the answer. Wink Big Grin Cool

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have, and do, run both. 350 brake, 3250 lbs sbc, broke input shaft, twice. put a glide w/brake in it, and put the 350 in a 2500 lb car. No problems, so far, roughly 500 passes. I blamed it on the weight. I should say it was, and is, a stock input.

Posts: 296 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago we ran a turbo 350 with a brake. At that time, we weighed 3200 lbs. with driver; 9" slicks, 4.56 gears with a 383 sbc/550 hp. I called it our un-predictable trans. It would last anywhere between 10-100 passes.

The best thing we did was switch to the powerglide even though we were supposed to be too heavy for one.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I ran T350's for years with no problems or failures. Last one was with a brake that I bough here on DRR in pieces, had been disassembled for rebuild and I bought it like that. I built it and it worked fine for years. Car weighed 3k with driver went a best of 6.5's. I went to a glide to calm down the starting line ratio as it is on 10.5 tires. The first T350 I ran was full manual and the only thing it had was a hardened race on the 2nd gear sprag. I was careful not to come out of a burnout in 2nd and let it grab, always came out in 3rd. The transbrake one had a new direct drum with the better sprag and race on it. Both had a lot of passes on them and both were working fine when I sold them, I mean a lot of passes on the first one.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Just looked at some of my old notes, 412 passes on the T350 with a brake. Only thing I ever did to it was change the fluid, I used Valvoline Dexron. Only thing I had to change was I tied the line lock to the transbrake so it didn't move when staging.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Did a number of TH350's for racers back in the day. They never last long, but those guys were warned ahead of time. I quit doing them eventually, and directed folks to do a PG or if they had to have 3 speeds, TH400. Or better yet, Liberty.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post