DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster Weight vs Gearing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster Weight vs Gearing
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted
My dragster is 2060 lbs. with me on the starting line, what gearing are you running. Motor high 4.50’s to low 4.60’s. I have 4.30 rears and Lil Bubbas. Just interested if other heavy dragsters are running 456 or 488 gears
Thx in advance

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i was lighter but i had a used set of nascar gears,i loved them.4.44 that mother was a rocket.not pro gears though.normally use 4.30

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
The only reason I could see wanting to go to a different gear would be for use with a shorter ratio first gear (assuming using a Powerglide). In this instance, and using the Wallace calculators, you have the same starting line ratio with a 1.80/4.30 as you do with a 1.69/4.56. This in turn would give you more rpm at the 1/8 in high gear if you were strictly 1/8 mile racing and were looking for maybe a little et there. I've always been under the impression that if you have the converter matched to the car/motor/weight etc. and it is already optimized then you wouldn't see much ET in just changing gear. I am interested to see if anyone has done it though and what their results were.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
IM 1900 and made the switch from 430 to 410. Car went from running 4.53-4.55 in this spring weather to 4.47-4.50. I am running a set of 111" Big bubbas as well. Conventional headed 632 on injection. I also went from 150-151 to 153-154. From data, it looked like the 430 was trying to lock up converter too quick, now the 410 is allowing it to slip the converter better and has turned into better et all the way down.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 706 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
IM 1900 and made the switch from 430 to 410. Car went from running 4.53-4.55 in this spring weather to 4.47-4.50. I am running a set of 111" Big bubbas as well. Conventional headed 632 on injection. I also went from 150-151 to 153-154. From data, it looked like the 430 was trying to lock up converter too quick, now the 410 is allowing it to slip the converter better and has turned into better et all the way down.

Conventional headed" 632, there's why. Torque and RPM are measurable quantities of engine output.

As long as the torque isn't diminishing at a higher rate than the rpm is increasing, you're making power.

Put some better flowing cylinder heads and a bigger stick in it, watch what happens according to the latent potential for rpm.

Has nothing to do with weight, weight isn't the limiter, rpm is.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You are correct on my combo not wanting to be up stairs. That is it, that is literally the only thing you are correct on. If weight did not matter, the companies out there wouldn't ask that question. Everything comes into the equation when trying to build a converter. Another thing, Brian is alky injected, so it might help the engine to lug it with a little less gear, just like mine did. My motor on gas makes power to 7500, but cut that back a tough on alky.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 706 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,
You are correct on my combo not wanting to be up stairs. That is it, that is literally the only thing you are correct on. If weight did not matter, the companies out there wouldn't ask that question. Everything comes into the equation when trying to build a converter.

The topic is Dragster weight vs gearing, not converters Sir. It needed pointed out weight isn't the limiter, rpm is.

Take Pro Stock for example, before RPM was limited, whoever had the greatest latent potential for RPM, had a distinct performance advantage, as will always be the case n/a, effective rpm is King, meaning torque.

With the new rule, it's a bracket race, in approach to each round, for crews / teams.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Mike,
You are correct on my combo not wanting to be up stairs. That is it, that is literally the only thing you are correct on. If weight did not matter, the companies out there wouldn't ask that question. Everything comes into the equation when trying to build a converter.

The topic is Dragster vs weight, not converters Sir. It needed pointed out weight isn't the limiter, rpm is.

Gullible is written on the ceiling of the cave your in bud. It all matters when you are trying to run 4.50s in a dragster

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Mike,

The topic is Dragster vs weight, not converters Sir. It needed pointed out weight isn't the limiter, rpm is.

Gullible is written on the ceiling of the cave your in bud. It all matters when you are trying to run 4.50s in a dragster

Gullible? gullible is not applicable. I'm speaking the unbendable fundamentals of engine output. I can't help it you can't comprehend, or don't have the understanding.

Torque and RPM are measurable quantities of engine output. Start here in your learning.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
My dragster is 2060 lbs. with me on the starting line, what gearing are you running. Motor high 4.50’s to low 4.60’s. I have 4.30 rears and Lil Bubbas. Just interested if other heavy dragsters are running 456 or 488 gears
Thx in advance

I would leave it like it is...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
It looks to be running well. I’d leave it alone. Spend the $$ on something else.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
no gain leave it alone

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post