DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    aluminum valve bodies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

aluminum valve bodies
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BTE is clearly CNCing their aluminum valve bodies in house in the USA and don’t have issues with theirs unlike FTI which has been stated here by a few. Bottom line is soon every race trans builder will build their trans with and only offer aluminum valve bodies.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
An ALUMINUM transbrake body with a STEEL Valve and no steel sleeve in the body it is very likely to gall the aluminum body.

Does any of them have a STEEL sleeve? That is the one I would look at. Otherwise just not worth my time, money or chance to try it.

Steel tends to tear up and gall aluminum. Aluminum expands more and faster than steel when it gets hot. Both of those are not good things here.

Saving some weight is a good thing if it does not create other issues.

Sure it MIGHT work well. The question is how long will it last and will it fail when you need it most?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4036 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The aftermarket, those companies that build race transmissions, converters, valve bodies and components disagrees with you, a nobody who does not build no mind manufacture race transmissions, and their components, what a surprise. Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I believe it was end of 2013 bracket race season at Our track awards dinner, Wendell Dunaway whos is a local race trans builder and BTE dealer had a display and had the BTE billet valve body.
Pretty sure BTE was the very first to build one, a year or so later FTI came out with their version which may or may not have been a reverse engineered copy. I tried one and during the 2nd season and 100s of runs it became VERY inconsistent and I went back to a cast iron VB. But this was 5 years ago, improvements could have been made since then.
Like I said earlier unless you want to save 9lbs I personally see no benefit in a bracket car with a delay box. In a .90 car on the .370 tree I can see a benefit "IF" they are indeed quicker.
I also agree with Ed, at some point all builders will be selling then because the cast iron VB cores will dry up at some time in the future, but even that is several years out IMO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
An ALUMINUM transbrake body with a STEEL Valve and no steel sleeve in the body it is very likely to gall the aluminum body.

Does any of them have a STEEL sleeve? That is the one I would look at. Otherwise just not worth my time, money or chance to try it.

Steel tends to tear up and gall aluminum. Aluminum expands more and faster than steel when it gets hot. Both of those are not good things here.

Saving some weight is a good thing if it does not create other issues.

Sure it MIGHT work well. The question is how long will it last and will it fail when you need it most?

Although I do like the steel or cast sleeve idea your concern about thermal expansion is not valid here, the delta between steel vs AL for this case is about .0005" max.

There are many AL VB out there and have for a long long time now that work very good so your statement about galling is also not valid. No one is forcing you to run one.

Nothing is perfect, if it's manufactured wrong you will have issues no matter if it's AL or steel/cast.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I believe it was end of 2013 bracket race season at Our track awards dinner, Wendell Dunaway whos is a local race trans builder and BTE dealer had a display and had the BTE billet valve body.
Pretty sure BTE was the very first to build one, a year or so later FTI came out with their version which may or may not have been a reverse engineered copy. I tried one and during the 2nd season and 100s of runs it became VERY inconsistent and I went back to a cast iron VB. But this was 5 years ago, improvements could have been made since then.
Like I said earlier unless you want to save 9lbs I personally see no benefit in a bracket car with a delay box. In a .90 car on the .370 tree I can see a benefit "IF" they are indeed quicker.
I also agree with Ed, at some point all builders will be selling then because the cast iron VB cores will dry up at some time in the future, but even that is several years out IMO

I don't know who manufactured the first AL VB but it was not BTE! Hipster has had one out there for many years now...

Posts: 2160 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
TOP38…KNOWS

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hipster ain't billet aluminum.

JW has the fastest Pro Tree transmission brake VB printed on a time slip, on the planet.

Double 0's on a 370 pro tree staged shallow 3200 lbs 10 x 28 bias tire.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

MINE Says Billet

Posts: 2478 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

MINE Says Billet

The debate between Top38 and BigSteve, is who made the first billet aluminum.

I don't know who did, but the original Hipster was cast aluminum.

If I were ProTree racing, I'd run a cast metal OE JW.

They're the fastest Powerglide VB's on the planet, evidenced on a time slip (in reality).

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For the purposes of the arguments on hand, Griner had the first billet one. Hipster and TCI both had cast versions for years (Hipster/ATD is now billet), but I think we had the second billet version. We've sold thousands since. Ours is not a radical redesign like several on the market - we just went with what worked - conventional regulator, manual valve etc.

As far as putting sleeves in these goes...its not an easy install. The regulator could potentially be sleeved, but I have been suggested by some people that I respect very much that a coated aluminum valve would be the best option - we are looking at this now.

That said, these transmissions don't see anywhere close to the cycle time that a daily driver would see, and as such, I don't see major issues with these for racing usage as they are.

President
BTE / Memphis Performance
www.bteracing.com

Posts: 27 | Location: Mount Pleasant, MS | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

MINE Says Billet

Ignore the Retread! It's not worth O2 expended! Big Grin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks for setting the record straight Brandon.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
quote:

MINE Says Billet

They're the fastest Powerglide VB's on the planet, evidenced on a time slip (in reality).

Just for the record, I never stated anything about BILLET! Just an AL valve body... You ASSumed Billet!

You may now continue with your babble.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
quote:

MINE Says Billet

Ignore the Retread! It's not worth O2 expended! Big Grin

You're the one arguing who made the first billet aluminum, I could care les.

I've got twenty cast untouched valve bodies, two cast Coan bracket VB's and one fast JW Pro Tree VB, and JW ain't far from me, I'm sure they'll do em up if need be, or TSI will, if need be.

There's no billet VB needed here. Argue on, I could care less who has or did what.

JW has the fastest Pro Tree VB on the planet, it's cast metal.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon@BTE:
For the purposes of the arguments on hand, Griner had the first billet one. Hipster and TCI both had cast versions for years (Hipster/ATD is now billet), but I think we had the second billet version. We've sold thousands since. Ours is not a radical redesign like several on the market - we just went with what worked - conventional regulator, manual valve etc.

As far as putting sleeves in these goes...its not an easy install. The regulator could potentially be sleeved, but I have been suggested by some people that I respect very much that a coated aluminum valve would be the best option - we are looking at this now.

That said, these transmissions don't see anywhere close to the cycle time that a daily driver would see, and as such, I don't see major issues with these for racing usage as they are.

I like the idea of aluminum valve coated. What about a composite valve like what sonnax is selling in their zip kits they make for the newer transmissions?

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
quote:

MINE Says Billet

Just for the record, I never stated anything about BILLET! Just an AL valve body... You ASSumed Billet!

You may now continue with your babble.

That's just it shyt stain, you made my point for me.

Big Steve said he thought that BTE were the first to make a *billet* VB, you then claimed Hipster has for many years.

Keep dancing for us you stupid mother*****er. Big Grin

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why has nobody said anything about the ATI aluminum valve body? Just wondering. Bob J

Don't get behind me,I'm in the slow lane.

Posts: 108 | Location: Newville PA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I didnt know me and Top38 were having a debate, I stated I thought BTE was the first billet VB when I saw one back in 2013. I was clearly wrong and he corrected me, no biggie to me

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
ATI’s strong hold is stock/super stock, not bracket racing and not dragsters