DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Power stroke won’t start.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power stroke won’t start.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Batteries are only 3 months old and I took them off and had them checked.
Whenever I hit the key to engage the starter all I get is one “clunk” for lack of a better word then nothing.
I also tried shorting across the solenoid once and same thing.
Does this sound like the starter is out or ?????

Posts: 405 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Not on a truck, but I’ve had a locked up A/C compressor prevent the engine from turning over.

I did change the starter before getting to the bottom of it!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
"When you shorted across the starter solenoid did you get the major sparking? If so, you probably have a full 12v to the starter.... That would leave only the starter bad.....Except for the cost, a starter is easy to replace. Might as well start there."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakehp,

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4469 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
sounds like hydro lock possibly

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try putting a breaker bar and socket on crank bolt and see if you can move it if not release belt tension and try again if engine moves look for locked up ac compressor or alternator if moves at first try a starter is this a 7.3 or 6.0

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Is the engine free, try the breaker bar deal. I had one Powerstroke that had porosity in the cylinder wall and would hydro lock. If I let it sit for a while it would start and run but there would be coolant in the oil.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Tap on the starter while a trusted assistant hits the key.
You're probably hearing the solenoid engage the drive, worn brushes or a dead spot on the commutator preventing the starter motor from motoring?

DON'T get a NAPA reman starter....go genuine Motorcraft.

I caught one of our techs getting ready to install a NAPA reman, questioned that decision, and got a good laugh after the second NAPA unit came back off to be exchanged for a genuine Motorcraft unit, 3 hours later.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I don't know about a Power Stroke in this situation. But on a Cummins you can put a socket on the alternator and turn the engine backwards.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It’s a 7.3, if it is hydro lock what do I do about that?

Posts: 405 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

trying to manually turn the motor will give an indicator of lock.if so the source will be in the head somewhere,plugs,injector seal ect.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fastracer482:

If it's hydro locked best to figure out which cylinder to start. Pull the glow plugs and spin the engine and look for coolant shooting out. Pressure test and see if you get coolant in a cylinder. The one I had would only hydro the cylinder if the piston stopped in the right spot below the porosity. If it was above coolant went into the pan.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
To ensure it isn't hydro locked you could try turning it backwards to expel any fuel or water that is causing it. If you can, then check injectors for leaking and or check for coolant getting in the cylinder. If it's fuel that is what the blower guys do prior to starting (backing it down). Hydro static lock will bend a rod if it happens just right. Had that issue at times on military equipment.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Eman, treed me..LOL

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I will try the breaker bar tonight.
Anyone know the correct socket size off hand?
I’m gonna guess it’s metric…

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fastracer482:
I will try the breaker bar tonight.
Anyone know the correct socket size off hand?
I’m gonna guess it’s metric…

The first 3 Google results say 15/16". 24mm will also work.

Short socket with short extension, or just a deep socket.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the value of a Borescope / Endoscope to inspects the cylinders. Basic units are very cheap, work well and interface with your phone.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Take starter off and have checked if you haven't already. Motorcraft only for replacement!! Also check battery ground on front of engine block. I had to move mine as I was having a issues cranking over.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Check battery cable to starter and smaller trigger wire.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dirt7r
posted Hide Post
May I suggest the powermaster hi-torque starter for any 7.3. (May not be the op’s issue) Not sure on longevity only had mine a year, but it spins much faster and starts easier.

Posts: 9 | Location: Gahanna,Oh | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post