DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    How long would you ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long would you ??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I have known a few to just run the engine until it blows up then buy a brand new one. They say it save a bunch of money over the years on "freshen ups"

Worked pretty good for me. 50 years on the last one (yes, the same one I assembled in 1979). Threw a rod about three years ago. I plan to bury it in the backyard with a marker ... seriously. Hoping to get similar life out of it's replacement. Of course, I will not last long enough to see it, if it happens. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys but I feel "runem till they blow" blows I have seen and had friends die from blowed motors-the best sale for diapers there ever was. Proper maintenance is always best and will continue to do so as I feel the need!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 410 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Sorry guys but I feel "runem till they blow" blows I have seen and had friends die from blowed motors-the best sale for diapers there ever was. Proper maintenance is always best and will continue to do so as I feel the need!

I do not care what ET you run if you have slicks you should be running a diaper. No excuse not to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'm running aluminum rods right now, Will run this season with them as I don't plan to run as much as last year. By the time I finish the year, I'll be around 250-300 passes on them. Refresh will be done with new Carrillo steel rods....they will get sent back each refresh to Carrillo to be looked over/resized/etc. I'm guessing with the stroke I run and rpm I run they will be needing replaced somewhere around the 600ish or so range....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1472 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Funny, I have a 5.50 stock block 406 with china rods that got built in 2011(I think) and I finally am getting it freshened this year. That motor ran 5.61 more times that I can count the last few years. This motor has been through a broken oil pump that fell off during a pass or on return road and a shattered valve spring, yet the bearings looked brand new. The block did have a busted rear cap, probably from the oil pump issue and 4 cracked pistons. Switching to a dry sump because my roadster seems to be hard on oil pump stuff on the burnout. It's getting an SHP block and a bunch of new stuff this year.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post