DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Late model diesel truck
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Late model diesel truck
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted
Looking at newer but used diesel truck for pulling trailers, either an enclosed car hauler or 5th wheel mostly. Who makes the better option currently? Doubt I will go new.

Looking at pulling power, stopping, durability, and comfort for long hauls. Personally, I like the looks of the GMC’s but looks don’t mean much. I have a 2015 1500 GMC and the comfort is top notch imo.

Let me know what your experiences are and also what you dislike and what to watch out for buying used. Im really just looking at 1 tons.

Question:
Which 1 ton is the best for towing, durability, and comfort?

Choices:
GM
Ford
MOPAR

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
They all suck….pick your poison..

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my 2010 GMC 2500 HD CC Duramax sucked but my 2015 GMC 3500 HD CC Denali Duramax has been great. That said, you can't get a new one around here and if you do you are paying about $10K over sticker.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I work on these every day....I'll try not to be biased, even though I'm a Chevy guy. They all have issues, especially with the def systems. Def heaters and pumps are a common failure point with them. Dodge seems to have more transmission issues than the others, although since getting the Aisen (spelling?) trans, it's gotten better. The Fords like to go into the death wobble, and the steering parts don't last long....GM and Dodge also seem to have issues with EGR coolers, but that also seems to be getting better...All have electrical issues.....

My latest is a fleet truck that I get to do a contamination kit on...2018 F350...driver filled the fuel tank with def and drove it until it died....that was a $10k mistake.....

If I had to choose, based on what I see daily, I'd go GM, Ford, Dodge....but that's just my opinion....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

no...

electrical issues
cooler issues
steering component issues
trans issues
engine issues

All I've done coming up on 7 years of ownership and 300,000 miles is regular maintenance plus... tires, brakes, shocks, DEF tank heater and a O2 sensor

I would buy another but have no plans to buy one.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
2018 Ram 3500, 6.7 cummins, auto. No issues, tows great (except mileage).

Main thing I hate is the seats. Feels like sitting on a cloth covered board. But, I think that is because it is not the highest model.

Looked for a new one but they all cost more than my house. (No I don't live in a mobile home either. Razz )

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I work on these every day....I'll try not to be biased, even though I'm a Chevy guy. They all have issues, especially with the def systems. Def heaters and pumps are a common failure point with them. Dodge seems to have more transmission issues than the others, although since getting the Aisen (spelling?) trans, it's gotten better. The Fords like to go into the death wobble, and the steering parts don't last long....GM and Dodge also seem to have issues with EGR coolers, but that also seems to be getting better...All have electrical issues.....

My latest is a fleet truck that I get to do a contamination kit on...2018 F350...driver filled the fuel tank with def and drove it until it died....that was a $10k mistake.....

If I had to choose, based on what I see daily, I'd go GM, Ford, Dodge....but that's just my opinion....

I have had them put Def in the fuel tank. Diesel in the Def tank. Gas in the fuel tank and so on.
How they manage the attack of the nozzle is beyond me. Many with extensive damage.. Prayers don't even help with DEF problems. lol Nature of the beast. Just did a Detroit regen yesterday that had 3 Def pumps in 1.5 years. You can keep it all. LOL Detroit Onebox on average is between
$9K to $11K. Put that in your pipe and smoke it LMAO.Every year it get worse and worse for diagnostics on these Def systems for all engine lines.Seen trucks in shops for months or didn't make it out the door.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My 3rd grade education has served me well because somehow I figured out all on my own that DEF goes in the DEF tank and diesel fuel goes in the fuel tank.

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
my 2010 GMC 2500 HD CC Duramax sucked but my 2015 GMC 3500 HD CC Denali Duramax has been great. That said, you can't get a new one around here and if you do you are paying about $10K over sticker.

Can you tell me why?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand multiplied by the chip issue. They are adjusting the price based on zip codes.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've got 198k on my 2008 and I plan to keep it for a lot longer. Had to do injectors and a flash update, but that's it other than normal maintenance and replacement of worn parts. I don't want the hassle of a def truck....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I just don’t see DEF as a hassle.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I just don’t see DEF as a hassle.

Just another system to have issues with. All def is, is ammonia and water pretty much. And one more thing to buy to keep up with....I just fuel mine and go....change the oil when needed....service the rest regularly..... Def system failures are by far the most common issue I see on a daily basis, with all three major manufacturers...excluding user error of course....

Mark Goulette

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had a 2003 Chevy 3500 duramax dually and loved the truck. New fuel injectors and gauge cluster under warranty, replaced heater core, carrier bearing, water pump, stereo and speakers, but in my opinion stuff you would change on any 18 year old, 175000 mile vehicle. I live in Phoenix and always drive the hills to Vegas with a 48 foot, 20,000 gooseneck. Cruise set on 65 and would slow down to 37 on the new hill coming out of Hoover dam. On one trip I guess it was too much and lost a head gasket. That was the last straw for me and considered a couple year old dually. I am a Chevy guy, but when I compared the new stuff 2020 and up with the older stuff, they didn’t compare. The new 10 speed Allyson raised the max tow by almost 10,000 pounds so I pulled the trigger and bought a new one. It is way nicer than I ever needed but now that same pull to Vegas slows to 62 instead of 37. Mileage is actually worse than the 2003 by one and I now use def, but I guess a fair trade for almost 1,000 foot pounds. I hated doing it, but would do it again in a second.

Posts: 8 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: July 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you are going to keep it, get gas. If you are going to drive it without a load on it (to/from work, etc) get gas.

Modern diesels, suck. Period.

Boy they're nice when they're new. Then you get to do the first of many $200 oil changes. Everything is more expensive and I mean everything. Once the warranty is up you're a sitting duck.

I won't own another one. And I like mine. Most of the time. Every time I change oil I hate it. Every time I stop to fill the tank, I hate it. Diesel is $3.509/gal here, gas $2.899. I drive it daily. Noisy clattering thing. 2003 7.3 Ford. Rest of the truck has been good to me aside from it being gutless heavy and hard to park.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headgames:
I had a 2003 Chevy 3500 duramax dually and loved the truck. New fuel injectors and gauge cluster under warranty, replaced heater core, carrier bearing, water pump, stereo and speakers, but in my opinion stuff you would change on any 18 year old, 175000 mile vehicle. I live in Phoenix and always drive the hills to Vegas with a 48 foot, 20,000 gooseneck. Cruise set on 65 and would slow down to 37 on the new hill coming out of Hoover dam. On one trip I guess it was too much and lost a head gasket. That was the last straw for me and considered a couple year old dually. I am a Chevy guy, but when I compared the new stuff 2020 and up with the older stuff, they didn’t compare. The new 10 speed Allyson raised the max tow by almost 10,000 pounds so I pulled the trigger and bought a new one. It is way nicer than I ever needed but now that same pull to Vegas slows to 62 instead of 37. Mileage is actually worse than the 2003 by one and I now use def, but I guess a fair trade for almost 1,000 foot pounds. I hated doing it, but would do it again in a second.

What gear are you towing in? Try paddle dow one or two gears when loaded flat. They don’t like to lug and it keeps turbo boost down, try keeping it at 2-2200 rpm when towing. This really picked up my kids new truck. Just something to try if you haven’t.

BP

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'll never own a gas truck again unless it's nothing more than a daily driver/light load hauler......for serious towing/long distance, diesel spanks gas hands down. I've towed with both, heavy, long distance towing... Diesel wins, period.

$200 oil changes??? Hardly. $100+, yes, depending on oil, but the most expensive I've seen yet is on a Ford, full synthetic oil, still was only about $130, and we do them daily at our shop......

Mark Goulette

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you don't buy a diesel truck as a daily driver, you buy it for towing but it can be a daily driver as mine is M-F and oil changes are not $200. My oil changes with Shell 15W-40 Rotella and a AC Delco filter are just over $100.

Yes buying and operating a diesel truck IS more expensive than a gas truck but again, you buy it for towing/capacity that a gas truck doesn't have nor can do.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Thanks for comments, especially from the mechanics that see them everyday.

As mentioned, I have a 2015 GMC 1500 that I truly enjoy driving but it just doesn’t have the balls for a big trailer, nor was it designed for that purpose. A 1 ton like pictured would be a very nice truck to drive but I’ve seen some reports of issues on this model as well. Also had a buddy with an ‘18 2500 dmax and had trans issues. Still, it would be my preference to have a GM as I prefer their stying and interior.

Thanks for the comments. Still open to experiences and suggestions!

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I am an almost lifelong GM truck owner, except for a few years. My last GM was a 2006 Duramax with the LBZ engine. An excellent engine and truck and could pull a railroad locomotive. In 2019, after retiring and selling my business, I bought a Ram 1500 gas. Very, very nice truck, but I soon realized the diesel engine spoiled me. So I ordered a 2021 Ram 2500 two-wheel drive with 6.7 Cummings. I just got under the wire of the national shortage, took delivery in March of this year. It now has 15,000 miles and has been without problems.

The Cummings has some different characteristics than the Duramax. I think the Duramax is slightly quicker at light throttle, pulling away from a stop. However, under load, at speed, they perform about the same.

The Ram has better fuel mileage. If I drive easy, unloaded, it will get over 22 mpg. Under load, both are about the same.

I have not driven a new GM truck. However, the 2021 Ran is very nice, smooth, quiet, has no wind noise, comfortable seats, interior and accessories are excellent, and all the power I need.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post