DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Battery operated timing light
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery operated timing light
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
Who makes the best one?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have an MSD and a Flaming River timing light. The MSD light is much brighter and easier to see. The AAA batteries are the only issue with that light. They're harder install/remove and you have to remove them after each use. If you don't remove them, they go bad. The flaming river isn't as bright and the light is on an angle. The batteries are D batteries and they easier to install/remove.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have two old Craftsman timing lights. I just connect them to a 12 volt source and shoot away. The light is bright with no batteries to worry about. These lights are at least 30 years old. (I do have an MSD ignition.)

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Normally I never criticize a product unless it completely failed and that was the case with a proform timing light. It would not produce enough light under any conditions (even shielded with a blanket) that allowed me to see the timing mark.

I have a 30 year old Craftsman 12 volt timing light that works just fine. For a power source I ran a wire from the (driver side mounted) alternator to a plug that is mounted to a bracket on the frame by the damper. I simply plug the timing light into the power plug eliminating wires strung across the headers. Simple, fast and easy to use.

Interested in buying a (only used once) Proform battery operated timing light, like really, really cheap ???

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
We having two of the Flaming River type, an early one failed and basically I was told to toss it. Between the two we have they both read differently by a couple of degrees. But I have one of them that I checked against a 30+ year old MSD 12v light and it was dead-on. These die, I am not buying another one.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I just pull my golf cart next to the car & use the golf cart battery to power the timing light.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 631 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of willys1191
posted Hide Post
I have used my Flaming River 15+ years with no Issue's.

Posts: 66 | Location: Enola, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post