DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Time for new helmet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for new helmet
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted
My Devil Ray is showing it's age. I bought in early 2015 at a National event and the seal around the eye port has peeled away and the strap is starting to fray.

I found out after the fact that the Devil Ray is made in China so would like to explore other options although it has been a great helmet. I really like the Carbon Venator but it looks like the eye opening is smaller, just don't know how much smaller.

Any suggestions? I do wear some small Maui Jim sunglasses at times and prefer that over a tinted shield that you have to change out at night.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Simpson Diamondback available too in carbon fiber but it does not have a large eye port.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I looked at that Ed but the eye opening looks really small. They do have a sale on the SA2015 version.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’d say the eye port is standard. If you want, I can measure it before 10:00 and let you know. My son does swap the shield at night but never wore sunglasses with his helmets.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I’d say the eye port is standard. If you want, I can measure it before 10:00 and let you know.

That would be great, thanks.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Do you want a photo with the tape measure across and up the eye port? If so pm your cell number or email, won’t be able to post it here till later tonight.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you want a photo with the tape measure across and up the eye port? If so pm your cell number or email.

If you want or just measurement is fine. I'll measure my Devil Ray to compare. Thanks again.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you want a photo with the tape measure across and up the eye port? If so pm your cell number or email, won’t be able to post it here till later tonight.

PM sent

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Got it, back to you

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Tony, the girl at the Simpson trailer recently told me that the Diamondback and Venator both are going to be discontinued because of the high cost to make them in the states. Both are on sale right now but the sizes are limited. So get one while you can.
I tried both of them on and they have a lot more padding than the Devil Ray and Bandit have

Oh and one more thing I learned, there is minimal difference in weight between a regular helmet and Carbon helmet, like only a few ounces. The regular helmets are made of Kevlar and not fiberglass so save your money

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have an Impact Champ. Best helmet I've ever owned. Expires this year (SA2010) so going to get another next year. And made in USA!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1486 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I am also looking at the Impact helmets. I like the Vapor myself. They are made in the states and this one is Kevlar/Carbon fiber composite. They also have way more options than Simpson has.
https://www.impactraceproducts...apor%2D2015&CartID=1

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Tony, the girl at the Simpson trailer recently told me that the Diamondback and Venator both are going to be discontinued because of the high cost to make them in the states. Both are on sale right now but the sizes are limited. So get one while you can.
I tried both of them on and they have a lot more padding than the Devil Ray and Bandit have

Oh and one more thing I learned, there is minimal difference in weight between a regular helmet and Carbon helmet, like only a few ounces. The regular helmets are made of Kevlar and not fiberglass so save your money

That is irritating. I swore off Impact Helmets a few years ago when I bought one and less than a year later I ordered a new shield and it didn’t fit. I called them and was told they changed it and the old style was not supported any more.

Now I may have to go check out a Impact again. I do like both the Diamondback and the Venator but if they are discontinued soon, I’ll probably have to re-think it. That made in China thing pisses me off every time I show tech my SA date.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I am also looking at the Impact helmets. I like the Vapor myself. They are made in the states and this one is Kevlar/Carbon fiber composite. They also have way more options than Simpson has.
https://www.impactraceproducts...apor%2D2015&CartID=1

I like the Impact Vapor also.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I had a real good experience with Simpson when I decided to come back and do some competitive drag racing in 2017. My impact was out of date because I had not raced in 4 years, so I called Simpson here in the USA direct, and told them straight up, I didn't want a china helmet. They were super cool with that,and proceeded to go through all my options. We agreed to terms.

When I got it two days later it was $30 less than I was quoted. I guess they decided to throw in the silver paint.

And they sent it second day air. I'd buy a helmet from Simpson again in a heartbeat, not because they gave me something, but because they gave me more than I agreed to.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
That made in China thing pisses me off every time I show tech my SA date.

Yea when I bought my carbon Devil Ray made in China was not even on my radar until I received the helmet and looked inside. Like you it just pisses me off and looks like all the Simpson helmets are going to be made overseas at some point in the near future.

The thing with your face shield being discontinued would definitely leave a sour taste in my mouth for sure,

I have never owned anything from Impact but seriously considering it since I need a new helmet. Price really isn't a huge factor, quality and customer service is, plus I don't think anyone should put a price tag on their brain.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The Impact helmets are nice too. My impact had a chin on it, only bothered me when I looked down, so I went back to what I knew, Simpson.

Simpson will never make all their helmets in china. At least that's not the impression I got. Otherwise we would not have come to terms.

I'd have bought another Impact too, but I figured I'd call Simpson direct, to see what they had to say. Glad I did, it was a good experience. Little things like they did, you don't forget.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I am seriously considering the Vapor. It looks there are 2 the Vapor and the LS. The LS looks to have a larger shield. I’ll have to call them next week and also call Simpson to ask about the DBack and Venator. I agree with Steve, my brain does not have a budget.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've never had an issue with shield fitment on mine, ordered a replacement clear and the amber. Both fit perfectly.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1486 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have had three Simpson Voyagers. I liked it because of the large eye port. It was easy to put my glasses on if not wearing my contacts.
The first two were made in USA. The last one I had was made in China.

They have a Voyager2 that has a large eye port but suspect it is made in China as well, especially considering the price. I paid more for my original Voyager than what they are selling for now.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post