DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Starter grinding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starter grinding
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
I thought I had a starter issue while back that turned out to be shorted battery. One reason I thought starter was occasional grinding. Not drive to flywheel but inside the starter.

Well new battery and all is great except still get the grind and not spin. Hit the button cpl times and you can hear the drive lock in. The spins fine for a while and out of nowhere grinding. back. Gear is out and engaged when making a grinding noise with no spinning.

Something I am missing or just need new gear drive assembly?
Figure has to be in gear drive

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a Hitachi that is doing that. I disassembled and found the ring gear is worn down and allowing the pinion to strip causing the grinding. The bendix pulls in fine and even bench testing the starter it spins fine. It is when the bendix comes in contact with the flywheel that is strips. I cant find replacement parts for mine.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your solenoid has gone bad. I had one that was properly engaged and set up right. Worked great for a while and then would spin over but not long enough to start motor and kick out and start grinding. Happened at a race and quickly messed up flexplate. On closer inspection the solenoid was engaging and spinning motor over but sometimes it would only go in about half as far as it should have. New solenoid resolved that issue.

I think your solenoid may be the original problem but now you may have to replace the nose gear and or flexplate to if they are hurt at all.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The sprag in your starter is bad. I have had it happen and just replace the drive unit and all good. I did have one a while back that stripped teeth off the armature gear. I just picked up a new drive for a starter somebody gave me for $50.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Sprag I can buy. Nothing wrong with spinning motor and cranking. Will do so 10 times in row and no issue then takes 4 or5 hits of button and then good for while. Ring gears show zero damage of any king.

Some I have brand new 10 and running a 9 tooth. Wonder if can just swap gear out. will check when get to house.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
WSell changing gear not a major issue. Still not tested,but only because of fried TB solenoid. Seems they do not like 16v system even if they say up to 20v on site.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So far swapping the drive assembly and using 9 pitch gear out of ole gear assembly seems to be working well.Keywords so far,