DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New glide 295 or 668 fluid?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New glide 295 or 668 fluid?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I'm getting a new glide this week and considering going with Allison fluid. The 668 is way more attainable but is it as good or better than the 295 fluid for 5.0 bracket car?

I haven't asked Marco what fluid he suggests but I'm guessing he will say type F as that has been his recommendation when installing his converters in the past.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
I'm getting a new glide this week and considering going with Allison fluid. The 668 is way more attainable but is it as good or better than the 295 fluid for 5.0 bracket car?

I haven't asked Marco what fluid he suggests but I'm guessing he will say type F as that has been his recommendation when installing his converters in the past.

I popped an aluminum stator, pulled every last piece apart cleaning aluminum powder out of the transmission, and filled it with new 688, new converter, fabricated steel stator.

Did a Turbo 400 the same couple weeks ago, brand new internals. 688

Same shyt, just improved modern formula.

Use either, you'll be glad you did, good shyt transmission WILL run cooler.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been considering changing to Allison fluid & would probably go with the 668 for your same reasons. Till then, I'll stay with ATI Super F as I've been using with no issues.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
From Allison website:
Allison recommends that customers using TES 295® Approved Fluid consider Allison’s newest fluid spec, TES 668®, for their next service.

This link shows you all the companies Licensed by Allison to manufacture and sell TES-668. ALL are exact same fluid product inside.

https://www.allisontransmissio...ds/on-highway-fluids

Imho you can’t do better than TES-295/668. I’m using TES-668 Mobil brand in a TH400. Works exact same as older TES-295.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Found 5 gallon bucket for $200, so not too bad on cost either.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I just put the last of my Castrol Allison Transyn 295 in my fresh trans build. Already bought the 668 for the next next time. I am betting it works just as good as the 295

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I run Amsoil's version of it. Trans looks like new inside....won't run anything else....

I'm a dealer if you're interested...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I just put the last of my Castrol Allison Transyn 295 in my fresh trans build. Already bought the 668 for the next next time. I am betting it works just as good as the 295

NO difference what so ever. Litterally changed from 295 to 668 at track and seen NO difference at all. And at end of season, seen NO difference in transmission at all. The weight of the fluid is identical because converter flashed and fell back to identical numbers it did with the 268

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
From Allison website:
Allison recommends that customers using TES 295® Approved Fluid consider Allison’s newest fluid spec, TES 668®, for their next service.

This link shows you all the companies Licensed by Allison to manufacture and sell TES-668. ALL are exact same fluid product inside.

https://www.allisontransmissio...ds/on-highway-fluids

Imho you can’t do better than TES-295/668. I’m using TES-668 Mobil brand in a TH400. Works exact same as older TES-295.

That's some stinky stuff right there, I don't care for the smell so I don't like it. Looks cloudy out of the container too, comparatively speaking (Transynd).

I'm sure it's good but see no reason to deviate from Castrol Transynd.

A guy I do transmissions for gets it free, so he uses it.

Stinky stuff.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Even cleaner, clearer less stinky than the Transynd 295, is the Transynd 668.

I haven't researched it but looking at it, might also be a lower viscosity.

Like.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We put the Transynd 668 in the MEAN GREEN dragster too, so you know it's good shyt.

They're gonna have to get used to dialing something that good. Smile

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Like.

If it is lower viscosity, it does not show up in stall. The 668 does have more shift modifiers for the newer clutch linings that is in newer transmissions

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

Like.

If it is lower viscosity, it does not show up in stall. The 668 does have more shift modifiers for the newer clutch linings that is in newer transmissions

I ran that Redline Type F lightweight on a CRC XLS spragless 8" TSI converter in the 2000's 4 quarts to 4 quarts regular Type F. That stuff was like water, it was good for maybe 100 rpm's stall, 150 rpm's 7th round transmission approaching 200 degrees.

So for that small difference in stall (100 rpm's) required a relatively large difference in viscosity.

A better way of putting it might be, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a slight difference in viscosity from the Transynd 295, to the new Transynd 668, just from observing it.

It's very clean, clear appearing oil, even in comparison to the old 295 Transynd.

Good looking oil, it's definitely high end, especially for the price, which ain't that bad.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
5 gallon Castrol 668 ordered. Thanks for all the responses.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
5 gallon Castrol 668 ordered. Thanks for all the responses.

Let us all know how it works for you

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Transmission fluid is transmission fluid!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

Like.

I ran that Redline Type F lightweight on a CRC XLS spragless 8" TSI converter in the 2000's 4 quarts to 4 quarts regular Type F. That stuff was like water, it was good for maybe 100 rpm's stall, 150 rpm's 7th round transmission approaching 200 degrees.

So for that small difference in stall (100 rpm's) required a relatively large difference in viscosity.

A better way of putting it might be, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a slight difference in viscosity from the Transynd 295, to the new Transynd 668, just from observing it.

It's very clean, clear appearing oil, even in comparison to the old 295 Transynd.

Good looking oil, it's definitely high end, especially for the price, which ain't that bad.

I SAID IT EXACTLY HOW I WANTED.

STAY ON TRACK, WE ARE ONLY TALKING TRANSYND RECEIPE. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT BETWEEN 295 AND 668. AGAIN, I MADE THE FUKING CHANGE AT A RACETRACK AND IT DID NOTHING DIFFERENT AT ALL. ONLY REASON FOR NEW RECIPE IS BECAUSE OF THE PULSE WIDTH MODULATING AND CARBON LINED CLUTCHES THAT IS BEING USED IN ALL OF TODAYS TRANSMISSIONS, BOTH VERY LARGE AND VERY SMALL. TRANSYND 668 IS THE BEST FLUID A RACER CAN USE......PERIOD. DONT MATTER IF ITS LUCAS, LAT, FTI, ATI OR WALMART. THERE IS NO TRANSMISSION FLUID BETTER ON THE MARKET TODAY. HELL, EVEN TRANSSTAR, THE LARGEST TRANSMISSION SUPPLIER COMPANY IN THE WORLD, IS TRYING TO COPY AND MAKE THEIR OWN TRANSYND FLUID, AND THAT IS WHILE THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL THE DAMN COMPANY.

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The point I'm making is there can be a small change in viscosity from one oil to the next, and it not be seen in torque converter stall.

It takes a *relatively* big change in torque converter *pressure* to effect a change in torque converter stall.

To raise or lower converter *pressure* to effect stall on a torque converter, would take a big swing/change in viscosity.

From observation while pouring the new 668 in comparison to the old 295, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a small difference in viscosity. There appears to be a small difference between the two.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
When I ran Redline lightweight Type F I remember now, after thinking about it.

It was only worth 50 rpm's stall, and it was like water in comparison to regular Type F.

It takes a relatively big swing in converter *pressure* to effect stall.

Minimum converter pressure ya wanna run is probably 30-35 psi.

Maximum 125 psi safely 99.99999% of the time.