DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What would cause Bbc cam to break.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would cause Bbc cam to break.
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
Well the motor is a complete **** show. Bought from a set of brothers in Maryland as a turnkey dragster ready to run.. Sold as a fresh 505. Aint nothing fresh about it. Timing chain broke cams is broke every piston has hit a plug. Every intake valve has hit a piston... They looked this man in the face shook his had and probably laughed as he pulled out of the driveway. People suck. He sent pictures to the 2 and of course they both stop responding... Smfh Sad how ****y people can be..

Super Angry

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Why I build my own engine, if it blows up I have no one to blame but myself. Right?

If I re-use a timing chain, I have no one to blame but myself. Right?

Right.

How do you know when there's a good possibility the timing chain will fail?

When it's not a Rollmaster.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
This past year I fixed a 400 SB for a friend...

It had 7 runs on it and was put together by an engine shop that I don't know a lot about...

Broke an exhaust valve head off and trashed the head and piston but miraculously nothing much else.

I replaced a ton of parts including the heads and rotating assembly

The cost was probably close to $10G's for parts, machine work and my work

Every piston had "drag" marks where the exhaust valves dug into the notches. It was what I blamed the blow up on. Pistons hitting exhaust valves doesn't usually end well.....

I had to make some added clearance on the pistons for the exhaust valves.....

The block was never decked and the crank was a chit show of nasty balance work and probably was weld repaired....

My opinion was the original engine was just slapped together without checking anything and this engine had some kind of similar failure right before this one and the same shop put that together too!!!

Some engine shop !!!

Ya just can't trust anyone.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
This past year I fixed a 400 SB for a friend...

It had 7 runs on it and was put together by an engine shop that I don't know a lot about...

Broke an exhaust valve head off and trashed the head and piston but miraculously nothing much else.

I replaced a ton of parts including the heads and rotating assembly

The cost was probably close to $10G's for parts, machine work and my work

Every piston had "drag" marks where the exhaust valves dug into the notches. It was what I blamed the blow up on. Pistons hitting exhaust valves doesn't usually end well.....

I had to make some added clearance on the pistons for the exhaust valves.....

The block was never decked and the crank was a chit show of nasty balance work and probably was weld repaired....

My opinion was the original engine was just slapped together without checking anything and this engine had some kind of similar failure right before this one and the same shop put that together too!!!

Some engine shop !!!

Ya just can't trust anyone.....

How much piston to exhaust valve clearance did it have, when you got it?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rich, I didn’t know the heads had to be replaced, what head is on it now?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Rich, I didn’t know the heads had to be replaced, what head is on it now?

Same heads Ed but not spread exhaust ports.

They don’t make them anymore according to the supplier.

Took probably 3 months to get new heads.

I would have opted for a pair of AFR’s myself rather than wait.

The new heads were not angle milled and I opted to keep them larger on CC’s to allow some room in the future to mill them if needed.

It went 9.98 135+ with the restrictor plate on it on the second run.

Repairing the old heads certainly was a possibility but it would cost a lot and they were pretty small CC wise with no where to go.

I did not feel those heads were anything special.

I’d bet a similar sized AFR or Brodix head would be comparable.

I’ve used AFR 220’s and they made real good power on a 375 cube engine.

9.05 150 in a liteweight first gen Camaro with a Toilet and that was probably 20 years ago!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
“How much piston to exhaust valve clearance did it have, when you got it? “

The problem was notch location not depth.
Valves hit one side of notch

Made zero sense because pistons and heads should have had ample radial clearance but they did not.

Top of the line JE liteweight narrow pin boss pistons

Old pistons and heads and new pistons and new heads, same deal.

I enlarged the notches where necessary, not deeper.

The old pistons had NO marks indicating location was checked.

Typically doing a clay check and using a razor blade to cut the clay will always leave marks just like a dial bore gauge does on bearings.

I clay checked EVERY piston more than once.

The engine owner is a long time friend and had real bad luck with this engine once it got into other people’s hands.

It made hundreds of runs when new and rebuilt by me around 2010-2011

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
“How much piston to exhaust valve clearance did it have, when you got it? “

The problem was notch location not depth.
Valves hit one side of notch

Made zero sense because pistons and heads should have had ample radial clearance but they did not.

Top of the line JE liteweight narrow pin boss pistons

Old pistons and heads and new pistons and new heads, same deal.

I enlarged the notches where necessary, not deeper.

The old pistons had NO marks indicating location was checked.

Typically doing a clay check and using a razor blade to cut the clay will always leave marks just like a dial bore gauge does on bearings.

I clay checked EVERY piston more than once.

The engine owner is a long time friend and had real bad luck with this engine once it got into other people’s hands.

It made hundreds of runs when new and rebuilt by me around 2010-2011

Extra gratifying, when you can grab a guys hand and pull him out of a fire like that one.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

It went 9.98 135+ with the restrictor plate on it on the second run.

I did not feel those heads were anything special.

They were the best out of the box, 23 degree heads when I ordered them 14 years ago back in 2007 when pauley originally built this engine and it ran a best of 9.72 @ 138

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Larry told me he thought it was right there with the old engine, the few runs he made.

I was not trying to do anything but give him something that would stay together and run what he wanted which is 10.00's in any weather....with his restrictor when needed.

I have no doubt whatsoever I could have made 700+ hp with that size engine but it would not really fit his style of driving or racing.

Supposedly the engine WAS dyno'ed and made around 650 I think.

The head supplier told Larry he rarely sells that head anymore.......Everyone buys the larger intake port and that's totally understandable....

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
"Extra gratifying, when you can grab a guys hand and pull him out of a fire like that one."

Yes it is and I spent many years doing exactly that with a high degree of success.

I started doing engines in the 1960's

Spent well over 10 years doing machine work and engines professionally.....and that included work for very BIG name other engine shops...

My life is and always was primarily driven by my addiction to cars, racing......like lots of others....

Right now my life took a very big hit but I'm recovering as best I can....

Probably never race again but I'm ok with it....I've had some pretty good days and nights.....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rich, sorry to hear that, hopefully your recovery goes better than you think and you’ll be back out racing at the divisionals. Call on me anytime you need help/to crew chief for you.

quote:
I have no doubt whatsoever I could have made 700+ hp with that size engine but it would not really fit his style of driving or racing.

Supposedly the engine WAS dyno'ed and made around 650 I think.

That was my target when I spec’d it back in ‘07. The criteria was 10.0s in the heat which is 9.70s in good air which we achieved. He also insisted on using his then current carb and converter back then, both of which were hurting ET/mph.

No doubt you could have it making 700+

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Ed.

If I could drive like Kyle we’d win !

Had many opportunities over the years but wins don’t come easy !

Maybe I’m not done yet.

I walked a mile and a half today with very little problem.

A few months of working on getting better and my outlook may be different !

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That’s good to hear, You’ll be back out.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Extra gratifying, when you can grab a guys hand and pull him out of a fire like that one."

Yes it is and I spent many years doing exactly that with a high degree of success.

I started doing engines in the 1960's

Spent well over 10 years doing machine work and engines professionally.....and that included work for very BIG name other engine shops...

My life is and always was primarily driven by my addiction to cars, racing......like lots of others....

Right now my life took a very big hit but I'm recovering as best I can....

Probably never race again but I'm ok with it....I've had some pretty good days and nights.....

Get well, I hope you make it back out with the dragster.

Did you have problems with your heart after taking the vax?

There's a bunch of that going on, why I ask.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with vaccines

Coronary artery disease, age, genetics, diet. Blocked arteries.

Walked miles everyday and jogged miles and miles when I was younger. None of that stopped the problems in my heart from developing and going critical one night a month ago.

With emergency care and luck or the man above’s help, I’m still here.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing to do with vaccines

Coronary artery disease, age, genetics, diet. Blocked arteries.

Walked miles everyday and jogged miles and miles when I was younger. None of that stopped the problems in my heart from developing and going critical one night a month ago.

With emergency care and luck or the man above’s help, I’m still here.

I’m sorry to hear that, Rich, but glad you’re still here and improving. Sure hope you make it back into the c0ckpit.

Your passion for the sport is obvious, and you’ve been one of “the good guys” on this and other message boards for many years.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3173 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear Rich glad you’re recovering hope to meet you someday you’re a great asset to this board and the sport

Posts: 399 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent Rich, get better!

I did my own engine assembly and all that fun stuff for years but now I just let the “true” professionals do it.

For not a whole lot more money they assemble it and dyno it. I have other things I would rather do with my time. Life is about choices, if you want to assemble your own stuff, more power to you. At my age there is still plenty of maintenance and other related crap that keeps me busy.

And on a completely unrelated note how bout the Tide rolling over undefeated Georgia? Great game, one of the best I’ve seen in awhile. Roll Tide, Roll

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5321 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Rich. Sorry to hear about this..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1405 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post