DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What would cause Bbc cam to break.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would cause Bbc cam to break.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted
Buddy of mine bought a turnkey piperack with a 505. 17 runs and the cam shaft broke. He calls the seller. Seller then tells him it broke a cam with 5 runs before he sold it. Never seen a cam break before. Any ideas on where to start to fix this mess? Last week it broke a tie bar on 1 set of lifters. I had a set of crower lifters he put in got it running again. Cam broke at a idle during warm up today at the track.. Thanks

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1404 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like there is a lot wrong with that engine. I'd pull it down and have the cam bores and lifter bores checked. Unless he's running Harbor Freight special cams, it's not that common to break one. Especially if it's a billet....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1494 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
One more thought...how close are the rod bolts to the cam????

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1494 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Misaligned cam tunnel, tight cam bearings, lifter bores misaligned

Just some possibilities.

Stock blocks much more likely to be a problem

Aftermarket blocks less likely

What kind of cam? Steel billet roller or ?

Never seen a steel cam break without a major engine blowup like a rod !

BB’s don’t generally have any problem with rod bolt to cam clearance but after breaking 2 cams I’d be checking for some sort of interference

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
No idea really. Its coming apart for sure.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1404 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Just some possibilities.

BB’s don’t generally have any problem with rod bolt to cam clearance but after breaking 2 cams I’d be checking for some sort of interference

Suppose to be a comp cam roller

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Just some possibilities.

Suppose to be a comp cam roller

Have the cam mag’ed. see if there are any other cracks. Cores that are hardened too much are too brittle!!!! If u find other cracks then that’s ur problem!

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Couple years back, I had a connecting rod break my camshaft into three pieces. Took out a cylinder wall and lifter valley too. Look for that while it is apart. (insert sarcasm disclaimer here) Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brian, broken cams from Comp are not so rare. Being that this engine is a 505, it’s likely it had an off the shelf grind on their black/cast core though a customs grind too could be on the black core too, which as of the past several years has a history of failure. The core he wants is the gold/copper billet core.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Brian, broken cams from Comp are not so rare. Being that this engine is a 505, it’s likely it had an off the shelf grind on their black/cast core though a customs grind too could be on the black core too, which as of the past several years has a history of failure. The core he wants is the gold/copper billet core.

Yes 5310 cores are hard you want the 4160 gold cores!

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the 1st cam,but on this one...If the cam broke in front of the the lifters that the tie bar previously broke.The lifters turned sideways in the bore binding the cam and damaging it.You just finished it off once you got it running again...more than likely...

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Am i reading that right? it broke (3) shafts? And one of them at idle????

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Am i reading that right? it broke (3) shafts? And one of them at idle????

Broke 2 1 at idle.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
black core? ours broke 2 years ago at idle too

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
sbc 8620 carbonized core just under 1" lift.

How many cams have broken?

Are they breaking between the same two lobes?

This is how you can determine if the breakage is due to a specific core (heat treat).

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This is new to me. Thanks for bringing up. Roller cams for me for the last 37 years. Have some on the shelf currently. Went out to look and they all look like the one Mike has pictured. As for as I can remember all I have ever used have that gold looking appearance. So some cam company sells cams that are inferior and they know it or is it just a hit or miss.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
This is new to me. Thanks for bringing up. Roller cams for me for the last 37 years. Have some on the shelf currently. Went out to look and they all look like the one Mike has pictured. As for as I can remember all I have ever used have that gold looking appearance. So some cam company sells cams that are inferior and they know it or is it just a hit or miss.

Got that from Bischoff - BES in Ohio. I never even asked, I knew what he was sending good chit!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Big MotherTrucker sbc cam.

Went 5.20 off the trailer 3100lbs 200hp shot on a dot 275 radial. 1.19 60ft 4150 carb. Brand new engine & trans, converter, gear etc etc. Everything assembled in house.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Where did it break, and did the other break in the same place?

I saw a 421 smallblock that repeatedly (3-times) breaks the small base circle cam on the cylinder 7-8 end. I think it's oil pump related. Suggested an external oil pump setup.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1677 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Well the motor is a complete **** show. Bought from a set of brothers in Maryland as a turnkey dragster ready to run.. Sold as a fresh 505. Aint nothing fresh about it. Timing chain broke cams is broke every piston has hit a plug. Every intake valve has hit a piston... They looked this man in the face shook his had and probably laughed as he pulled out of the driveway. People suck. He sent pictures to the 2 and of course they both stop responding... Smfh Sad how ****y people can be..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55