DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cast Iron Block Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Iron Block Repair
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
Anyone familiar with someone who is remarkable at cast iron repair. Specifically on blocks and heads? My kid is looking for someone to fix an LS block.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Scott, back in the day
Larry Woodward aka Brandywine Cylinder Head Service was the man with cast iron porting as well repairs to stock heads and blocks. That said, I haven’t spoken to him in many years, don’t know if he’s still in business or with us.

(610) 793-1184

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer but the Dodge Boys didn't have much success. Naturally the nature of the repair is key. Best of luck!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
https://www.jwardfuneralhome.c...a-woodward-7-3-2021/

Al Mathon in NY also did cast iron reapirs but time waits for no one and is also long gone....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yea I thought he was probably gone.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There’s a guy with a weld shop in Ohio near lake st Mary’s that did an awesome job on a dart block for me. Later had a rod hit the weld repair and bounced off without hurting the rail againZ

There’s also a guy in northwest TN that does block and head repair for super stock guys. Real famous head porting guy that works with roundy rounders, WJ back in the day, etc.

If I can remember names or find contacts for either I’ll post here but thought I’d at least drop a nugget for ya.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’ve been doing cast iron welding for years. I will say that if your repair person doesn’t have an oven capable of temperatures above 450F find someone else. Quality welding starts with proper procedures, especially on the pwht of cast iron.

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Back in the day. i had a couple truck blocks welded up. One was a DT 466 and the other was a 12.7 Detroit. They still use the Ni rod 55 or the
the Certanium still? Old timer told me to determine what the content was, was to do a small grind test. I will never forget it when the first time i saw what they call a "Rose Bud"
Damn flame thrower. lol
Yellow sparks are cast steel, red sparks then cast iron. Proper cool down was critical.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago, Indy Cylinder heads repaired cast iron blocks and heads.
Shops I worked for had several of the chevy 6 cyl heads welded up.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tim Branon fixed one for me several years back

Posts: 59 | Location: D3 | Registered: May 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Dave

Indy would have been my suggestion too....

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I had Chris Razor at Hi Tech Welding in Michigan repair a SBC cast iron block for me one time.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

Dave

His name was Bob, and he left ICH many years ago and operated from his home. Mooresville area I think. I do not have his contact information unfortunately. I'll try to reach out to a fella that worked with him there.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would say Indy as well. Kind of where they got their start many years ago. Might be worth a call not sure they still do it under the new ownership

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Lock and stitch work?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Stockers have lived a long time with lock and stitch. Seems crude but when you're trying to save an original 428 Cobra Jet block as a friend has done it's just about the only way.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Ladd's porting service near Baltimore. Give them a call and see if they can help you.

7443 Washington Blvd # 2, Elkridge, MD 21075
Phone: (410) 799-1763

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post