DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    rivetless trailer or motorhome siding.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rivetless trailer or motorhome siding.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Our FL-70 motor home has aluminum siding that as come loose and opened up. Seems the great bada$$ epoxy was noit all it I was told it was.

With most of the siding doing fine and only 2 seams opened. I am actually guessing lack of pressure when setting up or a lack of adhesion between two metals.

Suggestion on good epoxy to use. Two side tapes will be hard as hell to get between sheet and metal frame w/o issue or wpould look there too.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you can get into prep surfaces look into Sem panel to panel adhesive body shops use it to glue body panels on

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
There is a brand called Eternabond that is used for class 8 Semi's and trailers skins. For the roof repairs i use Manus Bond 75. applied with a paint brush. H.B. Fuller is a retailer also.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say need one that can be used will little mess to outside. Ubderstand i control most of that. Some things can be used w/o mess and some just are messy as hell to use.

I will checkout recommendations

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Can you not just rivet or screw those two panels? I think the smooth sides look great but have seen several come loose. Sorry, I just don't trust it. Good luck. BTW, the Manus Bond works great on the roof, I wouldn't use it on the sides, it's kind of messy. Never used the Eternabond before.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
panel bond. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A1VBEQ08VEF6ZH&psc=1

will need dispensing gun and needle attachment and a means to hold gap closed while drying.

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:

will need dispensing gun and needle attachment and a means to hold gap closed while drying.

Always wondered how people go about that last part. And how long it needs to be held.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Anything that dries hard will fail. Trailers flex more than anything on the planet other than hi rise curtainwall.
My suggestion from years in the glass and glazing biz, a structural silicone such as GE Silglaze, GE Silproof, Dow 795, Tremco silicone.
Clean the two surfaces with denatured alcohol, mask the vertical joints and put a nice 3/8 bead into the gap and push them both together. Scrape off the excess with the open backside of a caulking tube, then a plastic razor blade. you should block the seams with a piece of aluminium angle to prevent it from releasing.
Don't move it for 48 hrs.
That structural silicone holds glass in buildings. Any hi rise bldg that has no mechanical means of holding the glazing or any metal visible on the outside is held in place with silicone in many variations.
If you do it neatly you will only see a dark shadow less than 1/16 thick at the edge of the panel.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
I used Liquid Nails "Fuze-It" to glue metal panels to the metal frame on my back yard fence. You can actually see where the sheet metal has bent slightly on each side of the frame from high winds, but it's held up very well. I will use panel bond if this stuff ever gives up but it's been 5 years with no signs of weakening

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:

Always wondered how people go about that last part. And how long it needs to be held.

When we first built the motorhome we had a craddle that was spring loaded . It hooked on toprail(no roof at the time) and we pulled the bottom in with ratchet straps I think,hey 25 years ago. It pressed the metal against the frame till epoxy setup.

Now I am planning to build a smaller version with one rib on each side and a rubber strip on edge that will force the center to tough first then flex when clamped to the other side and pull it together. That is plan anyway.

My biggest thing is getting the seam opened enough to prep surfaces for epoxy.