DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Critique time slip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Critique time slip
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it is really suffering during the first part of the run.

I have been involved with two SBF ford combos. Both were stroker motors.

One of them has a C4 behind it and the runs are counted very carefully as we ran across the same thing. At that power level the C4 requires a lot of maintenance. When the magic number of runs got close, it was time to pull the transmission and service it.

The other car has a Turbo 400 with a adapter kit. It just plain flat requires a lot less transmission service time and parts.

I can fully understand why the transmission guy is pulling his hair out with this combo.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The driveshaft is 1 to 1 with the engine at 6600 rpm, hopefully the op realizes this is what's wrong with it. Probably killing high gear in the transmission too.

It would be ok if the driveshaft were 1 to 1 with the engine at 7800 rpm, but then again the car would be going 153 mph, and this thread wouldn't exist.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
At that power level the C4 requires a lot of maintenance.

Wrong

Talk about what you know, not what you think you know.

This 3100 lb. footbrake launched car with a 351C under the hood backed by a C4 has been run for 40+ years

Typical passes now....

1.39 60 foot
6.57 @ 103
10.50 @ 124

with an 8" ATI converter and 4.86 rear gear, this C4 goes 750-1000 passes before a rebuild.

The best this car has run with the same carb, same manifold, same trans, same converter and same gear is....

10.17 @ 132.5

with a 366 "stroker" sbf under the hood.

First and foremost the car in question needs a lot more gear and a trans builder that knows what he is doing!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No need to squabble, I'm sure the Op has contacted Chance converters, Chance has confirmed the tech in this thread.

It's obvious to the experienced, the converter in play, wasn't built originally for a sbf.

Good luck Op, keep us posted on improvements in et, when you get the converter back.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
chance has no business building a converter for this combo

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
it was built for the combo and unfortunately the customer mentioned possibly using nitrous occasionally.
At that point it went from an 8” converter to a 9” converter so I’m told and obviously too tight.

Posts: 692 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
it was built for the combo and unfortunately the customer mentioned possibly using nitrous occasionally.
At that point it went from an 8” converter to a 9” converter so I’m told and obviously too tight.

Look on the bright side, at least you've now identified the solution.

I'm sure the driveshaft is 1 to 1 with the engine at the top of 2nd gear as well, causing a flare at the 2-3 shift, taking out 3rd gear in the transmission. I wouldn't rush to judgement on its builder, just yet, if I were you.

Good luck

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No flare into high just a firm shift

Posts: 692 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Look on the bright side, at least you've now identified the solution.

I'm sure the driveshaft is 1 to 1 with the engine at the top of 2nd gear as well, could be causing a flare at the 2-3 shift, taking out 3rd gear in the transmission. I wouldn't rush to judgement on its builder, just yet, if I were you.

Good luck

quote:
No flare into high just a firm shift

I'd imagine so.

I wouldn't rush to judgement just yet.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ding, ding, ding!!
Never bull**** your converter builder.
There is no such thing as a NA / NOS converter.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu: unfortunately the customer mentioned possibly using nitrous occasionally.

so besides needing more gear and a competent trans builder it needs the right converter too.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How much slip does it need to et properly?
Fix the converter and it’s trapping over 7000 with its 3.90s.
This is a 351W based engine not a 302 with tiny mains.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much slip does it need to et properly?
Fix the converter and it’s trapping over 7000 with its 3.90s.
This is a 351W based engine not a 302 with tiny mains.

It's not gonna pickup much mph most likely.

The incrementals will improve to put the car in the high 6.50's, to low .60's.

This is a copy and paste from the previous page.

This is based on the same math converter companies use.

Converter needs a stator & adjustment, this converter wasn't built for a n/a sbf. With a 3.90 gear, it should cross around 7300 rpm, converter slipping 10%.

Then you could put a 4.30 gear in it if you wanted, it'll then cross around 7600 slipping 6 - 7 %.

This engine is making 600hp, possibly a hair more.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i think the obvious solution is turn on all of the nitrous and dont turn it off Big Grin

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ya really need a Opel 8" converter. Call Transmission Specialties, tell em you have a 3200 lb car 600-625hp. They'll send ya a fast Opel 8" spragless. Tell em you wanna cross 7300, ask for Justin. It'll be 5800-6000.

Part # 802 CRCXLS

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Trans Specialties is only an hour away.
I don’t know why he didn’t purchase it there.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a 802 B-CRCXLS Transmission Specialties Opel 8"

You'll be hard pressed to find a quicker 60 ft anywhere in the world, 10 x 28 bias 3200 lb 23 sbc n/a. 1.27

2400 da

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trans Specialties is only an hour away.
I don’t know why he didn’t purchase it there.

Aston Pa., that's why I suggested them. Talk to Justin or Kenny.

They can adjust the 9" too. Probably won't be as fast as a 8" Opel 802 CRCXLS, though.