DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    generator suggestions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

generator suggestions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, consider your neighbors at the track and get an inverter generator. Nothing worse than the guy with the loud generator that pulls it out of his own pit and closer to someone else’s because it’s noisy.

With that said, I’ve had a WEN 56200i 2000w Honda knockoff for about 4 years now and it’s worked as expected. Got it on sale at Amazon for under $400. I change the oil once a year and run 90 octane ethanol free in it, same thing we use for primer gas in the race cars.

I have friends with the Predator 2000 and 3500 inverter generators and they seem like nice units that haven’t given them any trouble. Also consider the Hondas are more of a target for theft.

The Onan 4K in my motorhome has 4400 hours! (Had over over 4200 on it when I bought it) Not sure if the cheap generators would provide that amount of service.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Inverter generators are looking to be on loosing side right now. Cost for anything of size is pretty much making others more of option. Plus lost are looking to be 6 to 10 dbl higher.Not sure how much that is to ear,but shouldn't be that offensive and hell I don't have to pull into someone else's pit until after I get cabinets built and actually have to use generator door. Hell I have gone to sleep sitting next to starting line with TF/FC's running at Darlington and if ever been to track you know thats close.LOL I have no problem with it sitting in my pits.

This is not expected to be a long term piece and I understand that a 500 to 700 bck piece is not going to out last or out perform a Onan or Honda.Well not expected to anyway.

Champion is looking to be the winner. TSC has cpl stock that are 3500 and under 500.DBL is 68 I think on that one and best I have seen is 53. Fuel consumption is little higher but livable . ABout 5 bucks on long day and $8 bucks if had to sleep in trailer during anything above 65* weather. Don't care about heat just got to have the AC.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
53 to 68 decibels is a huge increase since decibels are a logarithmic scale. Every 10 decibel increase represents 10 times the sound intensity. https://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.html

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Quiet is in the 50s...

Obnoxious loud is 70's...

Open units allow the engine noise to just radiate....and rattle even the slightest thing...

Single cylinders and probably don't have a counter shaft to dampen engine vibrations....

My old Honda 3500 open unit is a rattle trap.....

Onan 4 KY's are single cylinder and run at 3600 rpm. They do have a counter shaft inside the engine to counter balance the piston/rod

They sometimes develop some bearing noise from the ball bearings in the end cover that support the crank, cam and counter shaft....

Some people say they are loud but not offensive to me....

I never run either of my generators at night for AC use.

I was going to buy a small inverter portable just for that use but never did.....That's the only reason I'd buy one.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of willys1191
posted Hide Post
Honda EU3000 and don't look back. 14 Years on mine 1 spark plug and 1 air cleaner because I felt bad after 12 years. I couldn't even tell you what the countless hours are on it. Many oil changes over 14 years but no complaints.

Posts: 66 | Location: Enola, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willys1191:
Honda EU3000 and don't look back. 14 Years on mine 1 spark plug and 1 air cleaner because I felt bad after 12 years. I couldn't even tell you what the countless hours are on it. Many oil changes over 14 years but no complaints.

Will not argue best bang if can.Right now can not do Honda,finish inside of trailer,wire it for 110 finish lot for parking it on and will have to newer truck once I start going distances with it. I know should have taken being born rich instead of good looking.I just missed the part where after married looks are just wasted and the rich is almost necessity. For now I am going with a get me by till little later or the new business starts making some real money.

Champion seems to fit the bill best for now.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That Champion 4k is about the best deal out there. Remember too that it has a 30 amp rv plug. So you ought to get all of the watts available from it. RV ready as they say. They are a little louder than I like because they are open framed. I owned the closed frame Champion 3500 and it was pretty quiet. But that extra 500 watts is nice too. I ran that for 5 seasons without a lick of trouble. Running air con for the motorhome. That's a pretty good value in my opinion. I wanted to run both air cons, and it won't do that. So I bought the b&s inverter. If you were closer, I would sell the Champion to you for reasonable so that I don't pack rat the SOB forever like I do with everything else.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hell Bucky my whole car is pack rat stuff.Blocks are 025 years old,one never run. Cranks and heads about the same.Lots of recycled stuff in it and a few new pieces.

Heck motor sitting here and offers of about 20 to 25 cent on the dollar is half reason for starting project.

Going either 3500 or the louder 4000 which is also cheaper for now. Its not life time deal and plan to buy bigger and better later on.