DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shop Air Compressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop Air Compressor
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted
What’s everyone using in their shop for air compressor. I’ve had 5hp 30 gallon for years that quit and I’d like to upgrade. 60 gallon I’d think would be big enough. What brand to look at and to stay away from ? Thanks

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I had a small 30 gal for years and upgraded to a Campbell Hausfield with the big tank, might be 80. Bought it at Tractor Supply almost 20 years ago. For general mechanical work you just don't use or need much air. I have painted with mine with mo problems.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have this one. It's been awesome!

https://m.northerntool.com/sho..._200350475_200350475

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The 2 that come to mind are the Quincy units or the Atlas Copco. Both well designed. I have the 80 gallon Atlas Copco direct drive for the shop.It has served me well since 1993. If and when you make a choice, automatic tank drain (water) if it's offered or an add on. Yes

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I use the Quincy QT-54 because it has a 100% duty cycle, not that i would ever run a compressor that hard.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I worked in the compressor industry back in the 80s, Quincy was considered the cadillac of air compressors. The 5-25hp reciprocating units all had oil pumps with a pressurized oil system where most all others relied on a splash system. Plus they are 100% cast iron

Posts: 2429 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Husky's 60 gal. from Home Depot, caught them on sale. 3 years now, flawless. Just shop use, not painting or sandblasting. Cool JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a Quincy, it has been great for 10-11 years so far

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
When I worked in the compressor industry back in the 80s, Quincy was considered the cadillac of air compressors. The 5-25hp reciprocating units all had oil pumps with a pressurized oil system where most all others relied on a splash system. Plus they are 100% cast iron

A friend of mine who's dad owned a large construction company. Building had to have at least 10 doors. Millions in equipment,all they ran back then where Quincy's. Had at least 5 service trucks, all Quincy. They were expensive back then. Truly a leader in air management.

Funny thing,when my Atlas Copco direct drive fires up, sounds like a jet engine firing up.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post