DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Starter not engaging, whining noise.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starter not engaging, whining noise.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Started car for a warm up and when it died I attempted to start it again but when I turned the power back on the starter switch would not work and it had a winding sound of that of a fan on high speed did not think the starter was engaging jumped the starter and it appears it does work fine.

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Check the voltage at the starter while cranking. Anything under 9.5 volts is a problem. Should be 10v+ when cranking.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’d be looking for a loose connection first. Otherwise look for voltage like Mark said. Check before and after the starter solenoid.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If voltage checks out make sure you have amperage at battery. I had mine showing 17 volts at starter and would not engage. Battery bad and no amperage.If you charger shows amps it will let you know or mine did.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
My starter did that a few weeks ago. The solenoid went bad and would not stop spinning the starter without turning off the power. It didnt kick out, just spun. Mark/HOP sent me a new solenoid, replaced it, and good2go.

Clark

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post