DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New Century Aluminum Big Block Chevy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Century Aluminum Big Block Chevy
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Does anyone here have recent experience with New Century Performance supplying an aluminum block? There are tons of horror stories on the internet from recent years about delivery problems, failure to answer calls, deposit required to start, then not refunded after many months of no communication, no block, no anticipated delivery etc. Is it possible this was related to covid days and material availability. It would be terrible to get caught up in something like that and I'd definitely go a different route before I dealt with any sort of BS like that.

Design wise, that block seems like the cat's meow. When you figure 10K on a Dart block or 7K for a Brodix block, both likely need epoxy up to the water jacket holes, it sure seems that the New Century Block is a better option. I don't care if i need to swap oil pans, and dude offers a gear drive along with a wet sump pan, skirted mains, cross bolted.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Donovan??

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I had one, it's a great block.

That being said, I didn't buy it new, but have also heard the stories.....

CN will make you a BBC billet block with the deep skirted block and cross bolted mains.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
JLINE performance products

Posts: 61 | Location: div5 | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
CN billet block, they will build you most any configuration you want. about a 9 month lead time last time I talked them about 2 years ago but you will get your block un like New Century

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Steve Morris?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Donovan??

great block but impossible to deal with.... they wont even sell me one

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
JR,

They only sell to engine shops or what? Seems like your money is as good as anyone’s.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I looked through the CN offerings they are impressive. They have more options than my brain can process at the moment. I've heard similar advise in the past to utilize billet from CN. Just seems like that block HAS to be more expensive than a cast version, then again I don't understand all the challenges with foundries and the difficulty in getting good quality castings from them.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just remember if you break a rod or crank in most cases billet blocks can be repaired where a cast aluminum block the repairs are somewhat limited

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Look up Energy Mfg. They don’t have as many options as CN, but can get it relatively quick and for less.

https://www.energymanufacturing.com/bbc.html

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 345 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have had few cast block welded no problem. Can not say good or bad on op.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Donovan??

great block but impossible to deal with.... they wont even sell me one

Curious what challenges you had with trying to order from Donovan?

Jason G.

'71 Chevelle
3370 lbs w/ SBC
5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - N/A

Posts: 345 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
She (lady at Donovan) informed me they only sell to existing customers now, I provided my info and she looked me up and said ok. After getting a build sheet to her she said they were to busy and dismissed me……

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
She (lady at Donovan) informed me they only sell to existing customers now, I provided my info and she looked me up and said ok. After getting a build sheet to her she said they were to busy and dismissed me……

Dangled the carrot & then said F...U, that's sad!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Dangled the carrot & then said F...U, that's sad!

2BKING
Relaxing

That why they had a woman do doing that stuff.They are us to dangling the bait then telling guys nope not today

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I just got a CN block quoted for my stuff. Done with my options, $13k and some change. Didn't get a timeframe though.

Energy blocks are solid only, so if you need a cooling system, they are not an option.

Steve Morris's stuff is unique to him. You have to buy his heads and such if you want his block...and since he just started making them in house, I would suspect its going to be a long wait at that.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
CN X 2!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post