DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ET/MPH "sweetspot" for BIG money bracket racing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ET/MPH "sweetspot" for BIG money bracket racing?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
In my world of big money bottom bulb racing I have two answers...foot braking I like 6.30 to 6.70...off the button I like 6.10 to 6.50...

My junk runs 6.60's off the foot and 6.50's off the button...a bit on the slower side but I am a 93 pump gas car...pump gas cars can be a handful to make consistent but after 2 years mine is finally coming around...

Is this a street car? If not, why not go with an Alcohol setup or even E-85?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

We are gonna start the year all on alcohol and be in the 4.60s to 4.70s for the most part.

What motor combos you going with? Aren't these SR20 headed motors on 2 of the cars?

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
http://dragstory.com/forum/index.php

I checked some final round results from the Dragstory page and collected some numbers. Maybe they will point toward a conclusion and maybe not. These are winners and runner ups. Sometimes it is the actual final round and sometimes it is just the "final round" of the dragster runoff and doorcar runoff. I figured the runoff numbers would probably be more telling, if you are looking for some sort of sweet spot.

Palm Beach New Years Nationals December 31, 2018

Final round (door vs. door) 5.90 vs. 6.69 dial in

December 30, 2018 Final round (dragster vs. dragster) 4.55 vs. 4.78

World Series of Bracket Racing (Silver Dollar) November 4 2018 Doorcar runoff 6.53 vs. 5.25
Dragster runoff 4.54 vs. 4.81
November 3 Doorcar runoff 5.85 vs. 5.17
Dragster runoff 4.84 vs. 4.68

No Limit Promotions (Darlington) October 27 2018
(Dragster) 4.45 vs. (Doorcar) 6.29

Million Dollar Race October 21 2018
Dragster vs. Dragster 4.76 vs. 4.44

Super Bowl of Bracket Racing (Rockingham) October 7 2018
Doorcar runoff 5.83 vs. 5.32
Dragster runoff 4.78 vs. 4.47
October 6 2018
Doorcar runoff 5.95 vs. 7.42
Dragster runoff 4.64 vs. 4.65
October 5 2018
Doorcar runoff 5.77 vs. 5.30
Dragster runoff 4.47 vs. 4.82

Fall Fling September 21 2018
(Doorcar) 5.89 vs. (Dragster) 4.83

Spring Fling May 4 2018
(Dragster) 4.85 vs. (Doorcar) 5.86

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the slowest allowed 'IF IT IS DEADLY ' , for various reasons

Posts: 62 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Shawn,

2) mid packers: 598 Brodix steel blocks with BB3' and alcohol APD carbs (Primary race motors in 2 cars)

1) the slowest one: 582 dart steel block with BB2s and APD carb. Named FLIPPER (Back up to the alcohol motors)

1) the fastest of our fleet: all aluminum Brodix with SR 20s and gasoline APD carb. For 3rd car...has been as fast as 4.41 at 158 mph

All respectively from Wilson Race Engines! Shameless plug Big Grin

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
GREAT info Tom!

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Tom , Thanks for the research....

You Da Man

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You want a car that will hook up and work on most tracks and in a wide variety of conditions. The Rear Engine four Link Dragsters seem to work really well in the 4.70-4.80 range.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Chris, I am far from a PRO and can often be found hanging around the buy back window so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have ran multiple ET’s in many different cars. One of my personal favorites that I have ran at big money races was a dragster than ran 5.0’s. Most of the time this car was being chased and with a spot drop or holding to shed 10 mph really helped to throw the opponent off their game (not all the time) but sometimes it helped buy me a round that I probably did not deserve

An example ET and MPH would be 5.08 at 121 MPH. It could even be accomplished with a throttle stop coming on down track with an over ride option.

I also enjoy watching some people set up the opposite. Say a 4.7X at 155 mph with the nitrous on a timer

What you are doing seems to be working just fine though with little reason to make changes. In my opinion 4.5X or 5.0X in the dragster side are my favorites. In the door car side i would say 5.7X

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Chris, I am far from a PRO and can often be found hanging around the buy back window so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have ran multiple ET’s in many different cars. One of my personal favorites that I have ran at big money races was a dragster than ran 5.0’s. Most of the time this car was being chased and with a spot drop or holding to shed 10 mph really helped to throw the opponent off their game (not all the time) but sometimes it helped buy me a round that I probably did not deserve

An example ET and MPH would be 5.08 at 121 MPH. It could even be accomplished with a throttle stop coming on down track with an over ride option.

I also enjoy watching some people set up the opposite. Say a 4.7X at 155 mph with the nitrous on a timer

What you are doing seems to be working just fine though with little reason to make changes. In my opinion 4.5X or 5.0X in the dragster side are my favorites. In the door car side i would say 5.7X

I believe most events don’t allow throttle stops down track but I could be wrong.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:

I believe most events don’t allow throttle stops down track but I could be wrong.

I’ve always done it with my foot, so i am unsure if it is a rule or not at most events

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin Razz Cool

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There isn't a magic ET. People like the Richardson family, the Williams brothers, Underwood ect win in whatever they're driving regardless of how fast of slow it is.

However, a BIG key to winning bracket races is confidence. I you "think" you have a better chance of winning running x.xx at xxx mph you'll drive better.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:
In my world of big money bottom bulb racing I have two answers...foot braking I like 6.30 to 6.70...off the button I like 6.10 to 6.50...

My junk runs 6.60's off the foot and 6.50's off the button...a bit on the slower side but I am a 93 pump gas car...pump gas cars can be a handful to make consistent but after 2 years mine is finally coming around...

Is this a street car? If not, why not go with an Alcohol setup or even E-85?

No, it is not a street car...I would love to but I cannot due to some physical handicaps...I'm glad to be able to keep racing at least...lol...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nothing wrong with a slower et if it can be made consistent. Mine runs 6.4x @ 112

Posts: 2475 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Doug Lynden and I have this discussion almost every bracket event we attend.

I like 6.50-6.80 in a door car IE: Aaron Vail type ride....big tire not so big power.

Dragsters...which I have never driven...I always thought a consistant 4.90-5.00 ride would work well with a good driver.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post