DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Timing moves - ever seen this
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timing moves - ever seen this
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
Distributed clearance will change when the hsg warms up, don’t go too tight.

What I have done for years and this only applies to MSD adjustable slip collar distributors is, with the collar loose I install the distributor without the gasket, push it all the way down then lock the collar. Then install it with the gasket which the thickness is your actual clearance. This has worked perfectly for me over the years and I have never wore out a gear

Posts: 2425 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SX 66:
Thanks for all the replies. I have the engine on the stand and will check cam endplay, and the chain.

For shimming the distributor to get rid of any backlash, I take it your just moving it vertically until minimum rotor movement?

I agree with setting the timing at higher rpm. Mine seems to settle at about 3500 rpm to 4 degrees retarded.

Bob

With the distributor out of the motor, grab the gear and move it up and down, that's your end play, too much will cause some timing changes, as the gear moves up and down in the motor it has to rotate to do this and therefore moves the rotor! I have seen a number of them have .030 end play, if yours has too much pop the roll pin out holding the gear on and shim accordingly to get the end play right. As for getting the right height in the motor which has no bearing on timing, do what big steve stated! You want enough clearance so the distributor shaft doesn't push down on the oil pump shaft when you tighten the dist.hold down clamp.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Got it will do as stated to distributor and when installing. Thanks again

Bob

Posts: 37 | Location: Pittsburgh, pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
On a BBC you can remove the freeze plug in the rear of the block and put the distributor gear dead center on the cam gear, and observe any play/lash that might exist indicating the need for a gear change.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post