DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    615 SR20 or 632 12 Degree
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

615 SR20 or 632 12 Degree
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How much weight difference can there actually be? I mean really, my spread port manifold is lighter then the manifold on my dad's conventional head motor, the heads are 40 pounds each complete (can't see a ton of weight savings there since at least a few pounds of that is springs and valves, so the bare head probably weighs like 30-35 pounds, conventional might weigh 5 pounds less each. Valve covers are lighter on spread port by a pound or 2, pistons are lighter without any real dome. Rockers weigh the same, pushrods are probably a pound heavier in spread port... overall, I'd be shocked if there was 10 pounds difference in the 2 motors in the top end of the motor....

I've been 192 mph in super comp with a 533" 12 degree motor, I'm betting no one has a similar size sr20 motor doing that in super comp..... and mine is with a 4 link car and an iron big m block...

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
whomp gotcha ...just getting a good laugh off dragsters weighing 2000lbs plus worrying about weight ...lmao

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Do you guys think the valve train is as solid in the spreadport motors as a sr20?
I have seen a lot of spreadport motors with the valve covers off a lot.
a lot of people can break an anvil in a sand box with no tools also lol

I've broken a total of 2 valve springs in 14 years of running 12 degree heads. My fault, those springs had 4 years, 600+ runs on them. I've broken 2 rockers in that same 14 years, those rockers has 1200+ runs on them, it snapped the back side off of the body. I've never hurt a single other piece in that time. Never hurt a pushrod, hell, they are the same pushrods since 2003... as long someone is actually paying attention building one, I see no issues with spread port valvetrain

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
And you also have to get a converter that’s heavy as hell

All of mine are typical billet front cover 9" converters with steel stators and diodes. Nothing any different then any other guy with a 540 conventional head motor would have..

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:
And you also have to get a converter that’s heavy as hell

All of mine are typical billet front cover 9" converters with steel stators and diodes. Nothing any different then any other guy with a 540 conventional head motor would have..
Im just comparing both my FTI and its night an day difference in weight

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Do you guys think the valve train is as solid in the spreadport motors as a sr20?
I have seen a lot of spreadport motors with the valve covers off a lot.

Yes. Friends of mine have a small fleet of 632 spread headed engines and the valve covers are off no more than my covers are off on my dragster or anyone with a maintenance or more to the point preventive maintence program, racing these $25 - $35,000 engines regardless of whether conventional or spread port heads. I check my lash, check my rockers and pull my springs after every race day and so do they.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by CManuel:
Based off of what the OP asked, Ed is correct that the spreadport combo will out mph the SR20 with identical size engines. I have identical size engines 1 spreadport and 1 SR20 and on motor they are 3 mph apart, but if you put them on the stop that difference grows due to the extra torque the spreadport motor makes when it opens back up to full throttle. By the way KB's SR20 motor goes about 186-187 on the stop but he went 191+ with his spreadport motor. Weight is a key factor as well, lighter the car the better the SR20 combo works especially stop wise.

I am not trying to say what you stated is wrong! But too many details are not listed. I just built a Pro 20 632 that replaced a 12 degree 632 in my dragster. If I showed you the time slips you could not tell on from the other! On average the Pro 20 motor had more MPH.

Same car, trans, converter, rear gear, tires and carb!!!!!!!!!!

They would run identical on motor, but once you introduce a throttle stop your spreadport motor would have more mph. Also your setups are decently light if I remember correctly. Heavier combos would not produce identical numbers between the 2 combinations. The torque of a spreadport motor will help a heavy combination more than an SR20 motor would.

Posts: 60 | Location: N.C | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
From what I have been able to find on quick search. The 12* motor same cubic inch and everything else being the same the Horsepower difference is about 50. The price difference is over $4,000 and if the weight difference is 30 Lbs as some have said here that would even make the results of 50 Hp even less. 1.5 to 2 MPH sounds realistic here and does not sound like a big deal.

Really the only thing that matters is if the 50 Hp is worth $4,000 to $5,000 to you and nobody can make that decision but you. It appears that both are a good choice in this case.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
632 9 degree runs 194 in the 1/4 and 160 to the 1/8

Posts: 1 | Location: NC | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Apples to apples

if you build both of those motors by the same builder with the only part change as the head

The SR 20 and the 12* can be equally reliable if they are built by a builder who knows what they are going

you are going to get a little more HP out of the 12* motor than the SR20 motor

the motors are going to run very similar ET's, this is because there is about 50 pounds saved on the SR20 combination to offset the horsepower difference

the 12* motor will run about 3 MPH more in the 1/4 mile

so again, it is up to you

I personally like the lighter SR20 motors, but MPH does not matter as much to me

if MPH is your main concern between the combinations then the 12* is the way to go

taken off of Sunsets website

615 SR20 makes 1220 horsepower and costs 28,000

the 632 12* makes 1248 HP and costs 30,000

the 12* makes 35 more foot pounds of torque at 400 RPM's lower than the SR20

its your money, its your decision... both are extremely comparable and you are not going to get night and day difference in the performance between the two combinations

If it was me I would go with the 615 SR20 in an aluminium block (an additional 3K) and it would make the cost increase by 1,000 dollars over the 12* motor and then the total weight would be 150 pounds saved, MPH would then be about 1.5 MPH slower most likely

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the weights of a complete sr20 head, an sr20 manifold, valve covers, rockers, and pushrods?

I'm going to weigh my 12 degree stuff again, but im fairly sure of the weights now, and I'm not seeing how yoir going to cut the weights in half with sr20s

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Barrett:
Charlie Bellotti. He has been building my motors for as long as I have been racing.

Has he ever built a 1200+HP 632?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have the weights of a complete sr20 head, an sr20 manifold, valve covers, rockers, and pushrods?

I'm going to weigh my 12 degree stuff again, but im fairly sure of the weights now, and I'm not seeing how yoir going to cut the weights in half with sr20s

the weight change i listed is from the 615 to 632 and the heads combined. i have been told roughly 30-50 pounds but thats just what i have been told

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will

My single carb cast intake 632 Pro20 combo is 25 pounds lighter than my old 12 degree combo. I'd say that 15 pounds was the intake and the rest was the head rocker combo. Ran the newer Eddy victor intake on the 12 degree that was also lightened about 5 pounds from stock,, its a heavy sucker...

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Apples to apples

if you build both of those motors by the same builder with the only part change as the head

The SR 20 and the 12* can be equally reliable if they are built by a builder who knows what they are going

you are going to get a little more HP out of the 12* motor than the SR20 motor

the motors are going to run very similar ET's, this is because there is about 50 pounds saved on the SR20 combination to offset the horsepower difference

the 12* motor will run about 3 MPH more in the 1/4 mile

so again, it is up to you

I personally like the lighter SR20 motors, but MPH does not matter as much to me

if MPH is your main concern between the combinations then the 12* is the way to go

taken off of Sunsets website

615 SR20 makes 1220 horsepower and costs 28,000

the 632 12* makes 1248 HP and costs 30,000

the 12* makes 35 more foot pounds of torque at 400 RPM's lower than the SR20

its your money, its your decision... both are extremely comparable and you are not going to get night and day difference in the performance between the two combinations

If it was me I would go with the 615 SR20 in an aluminium block (an additional 3K) and it would make the cost increase by 1,000 dollars over the 12* motor and then the total weight would be 150 pounds saved, MPH would then be about 1.5 MPH slower most likely

Agree you will make a bit more HP w/12 stuff, however you won't loose 50 pounds or 3 MPH.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
i guees i am uneducated but why is a 12* converter heavier than a sr converter ?
You can get away with a 9” in SR20 but have to step up to 10” in spreadport...and they feel twice as heavy...bout like a diesel converter

I HAVE A 9” FTI CONVERTER IN MY 632 12* THAT GREG SOLD ME ACCORDING TO THE COMPLETE SPECS I GAVE HIM ON MY JUNK. IT SEEMS TO WORK VERY WELL. IT IS MORE MOTOR THAN I NEED TO QUALIFY IN QUICK 16 SO I HAVE IT SET UP RELATIVELY SOFT. 28* TIMING, LAUNCH 4200, SHIFT AT 7200 WHERE IT MADE 1283 HP ON THE DYNO. WAS ADVISED TO SHIFT @7500, TRAP @7800 IN 1/4, BUT I ONLY RUN 1/8. WITH THAT SET UP IT RAN 1.01 60FT, 4.46, @155+

STATE CAPITOL RACEWAY
2017 QUICK-16 TRACK CHAMPION

Posts: 54 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
http://www.steveschmidtracing....sr20-superman-series

going off my previous post. Steve Schmidt has an SR20 618 that makes 1220 horsepower. His 635 12* makes around 1250

The SR20 is 4K cheaper and includes all the same parts essentially

once again for the same price you could get the SR20 with an aluminium block vs the 12*

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tony, call every nationally known bracket engine builder, builders that build both SR20 headed 532s and spreadport 632s and ask them which one will MPH higher for Super Comp, I know the answer and as CManuel stated, it's closer to 3MPH in the same car.

While you're on the phone with them, talk to them about building your new engine.

Good luck.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Barrett:
Charlie Bellotti. He has been building my motors for as long as I have been racing.

Has he ever built a 1200+HP 632?

He had been working for a well known engine builder for many years now.They build these engines all the time.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
My 632 steel block with older big chief spreadports and nitrous kit & bottle weighed 2020lbs, my aluminum 598 SR20 weighs 1890 with nitrous kit & bottle both in the same car.

Both ran the same ET at the 1/8, my 598 now makes 70 more Hp...curious to see the improvement on the track...will see in about 5 weeks.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post