DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    615 SR20 or 632 12 Degree
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

615 SR20 or 632 12 Degree
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Based off of what the OP asked, Ed is correct that the spreadport combo will out mph the SR20 with identical size engines. I have identical size engines 1 spreadport and 1 SR20 and on motor they are 3 mph apart, but if you put them on the stop that difference grows due to the extra torque the spreadport motor makes when it opens back up to full throttle. By the way KB's SR20 motor goes about 186-187 on the stop but he went 191+ with his spreadport motor. Weight is a key factor as well, lighter the car the better the SR20 combo works especially stop wise.

Posts: 60 | Location: N.C | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
CManuel...KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Manuel hope you healed up well....From the looks of things if your gonna run SC your gonna be getting chased if your not running a procharger though....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Give Gary Stinnett a call. Five National s/c championships and always a consistent player in the field. I haven’t looked at what he runs at other tracks, but he’s in the mid 180’s coming off the stop here in Denver, and that’s flying for our track. Even if you don’t buy an engine from him he’ll definitely give you good info to think about. I do believe he’s running 11* Dart stuff on his car.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
read spreadports make more torque ...

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Do you guys think the valve train is as solid in the spreadport motors as a sr20?
I have seen a lot of spreadport motors with the valve covers off a lot.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:
Do you guys think the valve train is as solid in the spreadport motors as a sr20?
NO.....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
read spreadports make more torque ...
Of course they do but make more weight to...which just about equals out in E.T.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The question to ask yourself is are you willing to spend the extra bucks for a couple more mph running S/C.

If you want to haul a-z-z I know a guy selling a 760 cube Sonny Leonard Hemi that will outrun all the engines just mentioned. Full Moon

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5305 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
how much is the weight differance ?

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
how much is the weight differance ?
Idk exactly but my cherry picker don’t want know more with my 9 degree hung off of it...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
And you also have to get a converter that’s heavy as hell

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Ole Ed can call me clueless, but he clearly has ZERO experience and would be obvioisly clueless with either combo and only posts to justify his inexperience with his typical name calling BS.

If you want the most power and mph the spreadport would be better....if you want comparable power, lighter, with less maintenance, the SR20 is my choice.

Again no derailment and no name calling by me.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Ole Ed can call me clueless, but he clearly has ZERO experience and would be obvioisly clueless with either combo and only posts to justify his inexperience with his typical name calling BS.

If you want the most power and mph the spreadport would be better....if you want comparable power, lighter, with less maintenance, the SR20 is my choice.

Again no derailment and no name calling by me.
TORQIN KNOWS....

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i guees i am uneducated but why is a 12* converter heavier than a sr converter ?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Barrett:
I am considering Building a new engine. I am looking for a high MPH SC combination. I was leaning towards a 632 with 12 degree heads but it was suggested to me to look at a 615 with SR20 heads. I am nor looking to save money but I don't want to waste money either. I am looking for recommendations for either combinations.

Tony

I have done both of these combo's! PM me your number, I would be glad to fill u in and answer any questions.

Bottom line is that they are both great combo's that run very close to each other. The SR/Pro 20 combo is 30 pounds lighter with single cast intakes.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
SR-20 for sure...get in touch with Scott or KB at PAR they got a new combination with that 615...I’ve got both the extra weight you gain with a spreadport just aint worth it in my opinion and oh yeah I got both a 655 9 degree and a 632 SR20....for bracket racing SR20 for sure....

WhompWhomp Knows....

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
i guees i am uneducated but why is a 12* converter heavier than a sr converter ?
You can get away with a 9” in SR20 but have to step up to 10” in spreadport...and they feel twice as heavy...bout like a diesel converter

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by diceman1530:

Yes! Your typical 12 head has a large and small offset intake rocker ( 4 each). The SR/Pro 20 stuff is all straight. But I can't say that causes any real issues. Maybe the straight rockers will last longer?????

I have run both and can say that IF you set things up right, you won't have issues with either.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CManuel:
Based off of what the OP asked, Ed is correct that the spreadport combo will out mph the SR20 with identical size engines. I have identical size engines 1 spreadport and 1 SR20 and on motor they are 3 mph apart, but if you put them on the stop that difference grows due to the extra torque the spreadport motor makes when it opens back up to full throttle. By the way KB's SR20 motor goes about 186-187 on the stop but he went 191+ with his spreadport motor. Weight is a key factor as well, lighter the car the better the SR20 combo works especially stop wise.

I am not trying to say what you stated is wrong! But too many details are not listed. I just built a Pro 20 632 that replaced a 12 degree 632 in my dragster. If I showed you the time slips you could not tell on from the other! On average the Pro 20 motor had more MPH.

Same car, trans, converter, rear gear, tires and carb!!!!!!!!!!