|
|
Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| DRR Trophy |
What’s the go to when considering to install an alternator? Going through the lights around 7800 if that information is pertinent. Thank you all | ||
|
| DRR S/Pro |
I bought a House Of Payne Super Mini 16 volt alternator and a Philadelphia Racing Products bracket, could not be more pleased. No problems, perfect fit, excellent products that I would recommend to everyone. Bob | |||
|
| DRR Trophy |
House of Payne has waht you need. https://houseofpayneperformance.com/alternators/ TD-HOP has the good stuff... | |||
|
DRR Top Comp![]() |
PM sent. https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/ "Dunning-Kruger Effect" -a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge. Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue. 4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion | |||
|
DRR S/Pro![]() |
Another vote for HOP. I recently started running this one because I don't have much room and it has been great. I ran a 55amp mini before and the Lightening has been 1/2 a volt better during a run. https://houseofpayneperformanc...ning-12v-alternator/ | |||
|
| DRR S/Pro |
I like/ use PowerMaster Alternators, and especially like the #47293. This puts out over 90 amps at idle on a 2-1 pulley ratio and is rated to 20k rpm. I prefer cog belts to V. I never charge the car battery at the track…NEVER!! | |||
|
| DRR Pro |
I have a good working cheap 140-amp alternator & 2 Optima red top batteries. I always charge the car batteries at the track...ALWAYS!! 2BKING ![]() 1980 Camaro Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before! 3100 lbs. Pump Gas 436 | |||
|
| DRR S/Pro |
The belt and pulleys were more expensive than the Powermaster 47293 alternator on mine. I prefer this set-up mem.....i never charge battery at track...never!!!! | |||
|
| DRR Pro |
The 140-amp replaced the same brand cheap 100-amp alternator & have as a spare. The 140 was needed after the install of the EFI & 3.5 gpm electric fuel pump. While the hottest my car has gotten is 180* after the run in the Vegas daytime heat & most of the time it's between 160*-170*. The car is on gas by my choice. I have to run the water pump/Meziere 55 gpm & a 3,300 cfm electric fan when in the pits to bring my temps down to where I wish. The pump & Fan pull around 30+ amps. Hence the reason I always charge the car batteries at the track...ALWAYS!! 2BKING ![]() 1980 Camaro Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before! 3100 lbs. Pump Gas 436 | |||
|
| DRR Trophy |
Where did you find the cogged belts?
| |||
|
| DRR S/Pro |
On recommendations here I purchased the 2-1 pulleys and belt direct from Jones. I gave them the dimension info and they provided the correct length belt needed. JONES | |||
|
DRR S/Pro![]() |
HOP and don't look back | |||
|
| DRR Trophy |
Tuff Stuff alternators. I have compared them with my old HOP cs130, and called.....same alternator. https://www.tuffstuffperforman...nators.html?limit=50 My 12v sees 7500 rpms and holds 14.1v at idle. Summit is a distributor. | |||
|
| DRR Trophy |
I'm giving serious consideration to adding an alternator. Been hearing some folks say they saw no difference in ET and others say minimal difference in ET. Have y'all seen any change in ET? Really the only time ET difference will matter to me is in a heads up run (NHRA superstock), which may be few and far between in my class, so I don't see that being a big determining factor but I am curious. William Kilduff 1970 Barracuda 1968 Camaro X2 1968 Caprice 1964 F100 | |||
|
| DRR S/Pro |
^^^^^ I think the larger output alternator like I use could be slightly less et, but believe it’s probably less than .02 in 700 hp . One would need to do a A-B-A test for their installation. I went to cog alternator belt because of v-belt slipping and wearing out an aluminum crank pulley. The intermittent screeching at start-up was very noticeable. Always had to keep the belt tighter than I’d like. Jones recommended the wider 3/4” belt/ pulleys for alternator compared to the 1/2” I used for the fuel pump. I like that the cog belt only needed to be snug now and not tight to work properly. Could be easier on the crank but not sure on this. Providing the correct size feed wire for the alternator is very important imho. mem....i never charge battery at the track...never!!!!!! | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

