DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Interesting zoomies vs. full length header vid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting zoomies vs. full length header vid
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
On a low HP, poorly tuned deal like that, I'm not surprised at a loss of HP.

That being said I wonder why all T/AD, TA/FC and blown Pro Mods run zoomies if there is power to be had with collector headers.........

HMMMM
Rick Santos built a set of collector headers for his many time world championship TAD and ran them a few races. It was just as fast as the cookies, but he ultimately went back to the cookies, I dont know why, but I'll try to remember to ask him next time I talk to him. I wouldn't doubt it was more a convenience thing then a performance thing since it was just as fast with either.

I know of a few blown pro mods that run/ran collector headers and made just as much power, the only thing they said was that the lack of front end downforce from the zoomies pointing up made them very unstable down track.
apparently my phone thinks zoomies are cookies lol

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Another non idling POS.
Sloppy.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
zoomies and carbs never seem to get along together. Another reason to avoid carbs,just following doctors orders.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
zoomies and carbs never seem to get along together. Another reason to avoid carbs,just following doctors orders.LOL

Same could be said for a roots blower with carbs on top.........fuel distribution not so good

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That being said I wonder why all T/AD, TA/FC and blown Pro Mods run zoomies if there is power to be had with collector headers.........

HMMMM
Rick Santos built a set of collector headers for his many time world championship TAD and ran them a few races. It was just as fast as the cookies, but he ultimately went back to the cookies, I dont know why, but I'll try to remember to ask him next time I talk to him. I wouldn't doubt it was more a convenience thing then a performance thing since it was just as fast with either.

I know of a few blown pro mods that run/ran collector headers and made just as much power, the only thing they said was that the lack of front end downforce from the zoomies pointing up made them very unstable down track.

What is he up to these days? Used to love to watch him slew those Hemis back in the day with his SBC! NHRA "forced" him to retire. Frown

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
quote:

HMMMM

What is he up to these days? Used to love to watch him slew those Hemis back in the day with his SBC! NHRA "forced" him to retire. Frown

Mike, not to steal Will's time...
We dyno with him next month. They are doing work for us. He was responsible for getting the Jack O'Bannon Oakwood Homes TAD Hemi's some weight too. They flat hauled a zz in everything they touched. George, Rick, Jeff and Dave.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4505 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
The carb thing on top of a blower isn't so bad other than looking just wrong.

Early in my race life I had 2 dominators on top of an 871. iron block, gasonline Race digger only. Steady idle rpm.

It's doable and I hope they figured out how to get rid of that "Screams Rookie" lope in the time since the video was posted.

I only did that for a season. The heat coming off of it was tremendous. The track starter would always back off from it at the line. At the end of the track in the quiet I would hear all this pop, snap, crackle as it cooled down. Made me cringe but it never cracked.

Running water in the block and heads was a waste of time. It would all blow out by half track. Watch the gauge go way up and then down. I took the gauge out.

One other thing that goes against convention. I had the Hooker swoopy upswepts at the time. One day I got curious and left the collectors off. No change in ET one way or the other.

Next year I went back to injection.

Anyone notice when he brought the idle rpm up a bit it smoothed out?

Anyway it's doable in spite of internet videos to the contrary.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
The carb thing on top of a blower isn't so bad other than looking just wrong.

Early in my race life I had 2 dominators on top of an 871. iron block, gasoline Race digger only. Steady idle rpm.

It's doable and I hope they figured out how to get rid of that "Screams Rookie" lope in the time since the video was posted.

I only did that for a season. The heat coming off of it was tremendous. The track starter would always back off from it at the line. At the end of the track in the quiet I would hear all this pop, snap, crackle as it cooled down. Made me cringe but it never cracked.

Running water in the block and heads was a waste of time. It would all blow out by half track. Watch the gauge go way up and then down. I took the gauge out.

One other thing that goes against convention. I had the Hooker swoopy upswepts at the time. One day I got curious and left the collectors off. No change in ET one way or the other.

Next year I went back to injection.

Anyone notice when he brought the idle rpm up a bit it smoothed out?

Anyway it's doable in spite of internet videos to the contrary.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Who can work with a mess like that in the dyno room. What a shyt hole.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
you gotta remember most of the people watching you tube videos like the lopey thing ,its just what they want for their Rat Rod !

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joekool:
you gotta remember most of the people watching you tube videos like the lopey thing ,its just what they want for their Rat Rod !

One of my biggest pet peeve's even with injection. Set your BV right and get rid of that crap your motor will thank you.

Joelool is right about the blower with carbs some folks love that sound.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
quote:

HMMMM

Mike, not to steal Will's time...
We dyno with him next month. They are doing work for us. He was responsible for getting the Jack O'Bannon Oakwood Homes TAD Hemi's some weight too. They flat hauled a zz in everything they touched. George, Rick, Jeff and Dave.

When you see him, tell him my brother Ralph "Doc" Bednar said hello...........he hung with him back in the 80's a little.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post