DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    jesel belt drive ignition system
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jesel belt drive ignition system
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Looking at swapping out my mag setup for a different system. Like the belt drive distributor. Not asure about which control box I need. I know need crank trigger also but have a line of one with the correct brackets for My TFX block.

If running belt driven distributor with ignition box. What parts and impressions of it?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ran a belt drive on my SB2 with a grid system. I saw no real advantage of using it, except room against the firewall.

Posts: 110 | Location: SO. IL. | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFR:
I ran a belt drive on my SB2 with a grid system. I saw no real advantage of using it, except room against the firewall.

I ran one on my SB2 motor also, looks cool but no differences I could tell other than looking cool.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4001 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Belt for a belt drive distributor is just 1 more thing for you to break, why submit yourself to the aggravation when you don't have to.
I have a friend that runs a standard MSD distributor off the front of the cam on his Hemi with a 7720 Grid ignition and 7730 grid controller

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I am kind of doing that now Steve. I have mag driven off gear drive of cam. Drives mag fuel pump and vacuum pump. Only issue is mag is heravy and hanging out good ways. I do have support arm under it.

I have thought about driving straight off cam.

I had a points box go bad this weekend and if not for my spare I would have been dead in the water before even firing the car off. Which it would not do. Thinking I may need to standardize a few things. I(notoriously carry a spare of everything I can. Not enough room in the trailer for spare everything on car.

Don't get me wrong I love running mag and never had issue with these msd mag 12's, till Sunday. Sending box off to see what it cost for repair.

Like idea of running off cam and grid.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not looking for performance gain just standardize some of car where I can.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I ran a Jesel belt drive front dizzy before. Never had issues with it, but where I gained room for some stuff, I lost room for others. The drive belt for it is tiny, and frankly I think they are way overpriced for what you get. I decided to switch to the coil near plug setup instead. Yeah, also expensive, but WAY more control over individual cylinder timing, no cap, rotor, or phasing issues to deal with, and all the tuning can be done easily from a laptop....The hardest part of it all for me is deciding where to mount the box and the coils....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting to have a more normal setup, put a distributor in the "normal" location with big cap. I only knew people to run the front drive when looking for more room around the intake but I can't picture why you would need that. Crank trigger and a distributor with all the backlash out of it will provide clean enough timing for what you are doing.

Edit:are you running a mag now and if so which one? A SM3 or 4 is so much smaller/lighter than 44/20 deals. A gutted Mallory could be your distributor without using energy and wear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bry-war,

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
we have run them for years with never a problem.. reason we needed them was , custom BBC sheetmetal intakes alot of time dont leave room to get a distributor in /ot ...,,, have mallory and jesel setups ... both worked great ..

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post