Bracket Talk
driveshaft for 2017 American

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/4167065996

November 15, 2022, 01:57 PM
TOP38
driveshaft for 2017 American
I will add this in addition to Ken's yoke cap comment.

MW makes very good products. I don't know of anyone in my area that has had a failure after many many years of service! This is both steel and AL shafts in dragsters running 6.40 and up! The failure I have seen with one MW AL shaft was not the shaft, the U-Joint failed which in turn took out the shaft. We only discovered this after one of the track staff gave back the busted pieces. The U-Joint had become dry and the needles failed along with the surface of the u-joint they ride on, I would say that this surface failed first then took out the needles based on the failed parts. Once the cap developed enough play the u-joint came apart and took out the driveshaft along with some chassis damage as a result. During a converter change in another car we were lucky enough to discover this same u-joint failure in process! Caught it just in time or a repeat of the above would have occurred with in a few more runs! So all those greaseless u-joints need to be checked and replaced regularly. I would bet that many driveshaft failures were really u-joint failures! I can't speak for non MW AL shafts!!!!

That said, MW will not make short AL shafts any longer. Short shafts are too stiff in their opinion. I also believe that they never wanted to produce these from day one and finally stopped it.

For all those that think a CV deal is a once and done deal,,, think again. Everything has a service life which can be affected by many other variables!

One other item to consider, ride height at rest vs down track! If you have a data logger and monitor shock travel, take a look, I have seen many setups that have travel over 1" from ride height! With short driveshafts the u-joint angles change a bunch!
November 15, 2022, 02:02 PM
1320racer
THIS^^^

Few bracket racers ever replace the U joints.
November 15, 2022, 02:57 PM
TonyB6255
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
THIS^^^

Few bracket racers ever replace the U joints.

Before I went with Goethe CV, I was paranoid about U joints. I changed mine every off season. Cheap insurance
November 15, 2022, 03:42 PM
1320racer
that's more paranoid then me and it is.
November 15, 2022, 05:02 PM
329L
I change mine around 150-200 passes. But as you guys, its peace of mind

Jeremiah Hall
November 26, 2022, 07:42 PM
TORQIN
Have the CV shafts in both dragsters, 5 years in one and 4 yrs in the other, CHIT loads of issueless use. Peace of mind as the technology of U-joints is too far behind us to continue using with other options available. Security feeling of it is priceless!
November 28, 2022, 08:33 AM
329L
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Have the CV shafts in both dragsters, 5 years in one and 4 yrs in the other, CHIT loads of issueless use. Peace of mind as the technology of U-joints is too far behind us to continue using with other options available. Security feeling of it is priceless!

Have you ever serviced your shaft?

Jeremiah Hall
November 30, 2022, 08:51 AM
TORQIN
Never serviced the shafts, we put ALOT of runs on our cars each year.
November 30, 2022, 06:15 PM
DragRaceResults
Look what just showed up! USA

aluminum drive shafts

www.dragraceresults.com