DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Speedmaster blocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedmaster blocks
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone here have any experience with Speedmaster small chevy engine blocks Summit has some with a good price but?

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I think Sponge Bob has used couple of those, maybe call McVay engines in Ohio for an opinion.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’m probably wrong, but I think the speed master blocks are same as the old pro comp stuff. I did read up on the summit brand blocks for chevies. According to what I found, summit says blocks are cast in Germany. Maybe worth looking into?

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Those procomp were cast in Australia and yes Speedmaster is cast in Germany. Germans are famous for good quality stuff so.... will check out Mcvays opinion-thanks guys

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Speedmaster cheap junk ass heads are Chinese, I can't see them spening the coin to have blocks cast in Germany and shipped here for machining...the old ProComp blocks are absolute junk.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busted Knuckles:
Speedmaster cheap junk ass heads are Chinese, I can't see them spening the coin to have blocks cast in Germany and shipped here for machining...the old ProComp blocks are absolute junk.

Most everything that comes from China is junk at first but they quickly get better quality. Cameras, computers, TV's, Stereos, phones, crankshafts, rods. They were all junk at first, now look at them.

I have been to the factory in China that casts and machines some of the heads and blocks for GM, Mitsubishi and Ford and you would be amazed and how it is done and the quality of them. Sure there are more factories like that.

They had hundreds of CNC machines there and not going to lie it was impressive. If I remember right I think he said they do a huge number of business like 5 billion dollars a year or something crazy like that.

Do not know who started making the crankshafts and rods for race cars many years ago but they were not very good then. Now they are good quality and honestly not many cranks are done here in America now.

Just because it is made in China do not assume it is junk, they are getting the business because they are doing good quality at a better price than we are able to do it here.

Now I believe the reason for that is our out of control Government spending and Tax structure to pay for our Masters in Congress. In America you get taxed for WORKING instead of what you buy. If our Federal Government was funded by sales tax then it would not matter where it was made the sale would support our Government and not punish America for building it here.

The problem with that is a corrupt out of control spending Government and even if they changed the Tax code to point of sale instead of working Americans the Government would still tax and waste too much.

So you need to understand China can and does make good quality stuff and reason we have to buy it is because of our corrupt Government and system they created.

I still try to buy American but if you look closely say you buy a good crankshaft from well known racing company it may have actually been made in China and a little finishing work done here so they can act like it was made here.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I don't care if the Chi-nah stuff is great, it still supports slavery and Communism.
I pay the 3x upcharge for U.S. sourced materials when I have the choice.

The same *******s crying about slavery here 150 years ago give ZERO *****s about it when it comes to having cheap crap.

Hey Michael Jordan!!! Think you could make those $200 sneakers here instead of Chi-nah by slaves??

Hey Dre, think you could build those $12 headphones you sell for $300 here in the U.S. instead of Chinese slave labor???

Y'all remember that the 'Rona got transmitted to the rest of the world by the 2000+ slaves flown into Italy daily to service the "fine Italian leather" industry that Chi-nah has purchased???

***** China.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Dang Scott, you have some of my best stuff blocked....
Laughing Hard

goob- obviously not his first rodeo

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I also don't trust the metallurgy standards of Chi-nah....It's all recycled scrap from here.
Ask anyone who grinds crankshafts about it.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Clearly there are a wide variety of heads coming in from China. ProMaxx are as good of quality as anything cast here while ProComp/Speedmaster are thin-walled and poorly designed, 10+ pounds per bare head less...uses less material and cheaper to ship.
It all depends on who is running the show at the foundry.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
OH-BOY just aseked if anyone had REAL EXPERIENCE with those blocks not your opinion of china crap dont think Summit could say -made in germany- if it wasnt true so anyone buy a block yet?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Oh-ya just for your records my current motor is-Dart block-little m with steel caps- Callaies crank-gun drilled-Oliver rods with Ross custom pistons and Spiere heads. Block and crank are from 2003 at 72 doulbt if I will need another 20 year engine lol

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

Most everything that comes from China is junk at first but they quickly get better quality. Cameras, computers, TV's, Stereos, phones, crankshafts, rods. They were all junk at first, now look at them.

I have been to the factory in China that casts and machines some of the heads and blocks for GM, Mitsubishi and Ford and you would be amazed and how it is done and the quality of them. Sure there are more factories like that.

They had hundreds of CNC machines there and not going to lie it was impressive. If I remember right I think he said they do a huge number of business like 5 billion dollars a year or something crazy like that.

Do not know who started making the crankshafts and rods for race cars many years ago but they were not very good then. Now they are good quality and honestly not many cranks are done here in America now.

Just because it is made in China do not assume it is junk, they are getting the business because they are doing good quality at a better price than we are able to do it here.

Now I believe the reason for that is our out of control Government spending and Tax structure to pay for our Masters in Congress. In America you get taxed for WORKING instead of what you buy. If our Federal Government was funded by sales tax then it would not matter where it was made the sale would support our Government and not punish America for building it here.

The problem with that is a corrupt out of control spending Government and even if they changed the Tax code to point of sale instead of working Americans the Government would still tax and waste too much.

So you need to understand China can and does make good quality stuff and reason we have to buy it is because of our corrupt Government and system they created.

I still try to buy American but if you look closely say you buy a good crankshaft from well known racing company it may have actually been made in China and a little finishing work done here so they can act like it was made here.

Only if foundry and tooling are held to a hard spec otherwise it’s darts!
Most companies here hold them to a tight spec.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:

Only if foundry and tooling are held to a hard spec otherwise it’s darts!
Most companies here hold them to a tight spec.

I really like Dart blocks, with that said they have discontinued the Dart Iron Eagle block and are not going to replace it. So have to consider other options like Spec 1 if you want a large cubic inch small block.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clearly there are a wide variety of heads coming in from China. ProMaxx are as good of quality as anything cast here while ProComp/Speedmaster are thin-walled and poorly designed, 10+ pounds per bare head less...uses less material and cheaper to ship.
It all depends on who is running the show at the foundry.

Sounds like they take quality lessons from some of our American made trailer factories. Maybe I could say, most.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I just talked to Scott at Ohio Crank and it sounded like he has a good supply of World SBC blocks.
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post