DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission cooling systems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission cooling systems
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the typical bracket racer needs nothing more than a deep pan and Allison's Transynd fluid. Those double entering often will benefit by using the Jones trans pump.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tell me more about the Transynd. I was using ATI Super F synthetic last year made by Driven. How does this compare to the Transynd which seems to be very well recieved by many racers on here and other sites. I was considering switching to a different fluid and now am seriously considering the Transynd. I did notice a slight ET gain going from the BTE to ATI but as a bracket racer going rounds I am much more concerned about longevity protection and hence temperature. I dont have a fast car (6.50) but I try and use what is best. What is the weight of the Transynd. When I purchased the car it had BTE (Lucas) semi synthetic fluid in it. I am 40 passes off a fresh rebuild. I assume it is ok to not worry about a full converter flush or should that be done also if going to the Transynd?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have used and burned up Lucas, Redline, FTI, ATI both 20 and 30wt fluids. IMO the best fluid of all these was actually the Lucas semi Syn fluid. This is behind a blown 2500hp engine is a TD, trans was always smoking hot after a 1/4 mile pass. Trans was apart or fluid being replaced every 2 races.
Like I said earlier At the beginning of this season I switched to the Allison Transynd fluid. Trans is never over 200* and made it thru the whole season, over 60 runs without taking the pan off the trans or changing fluid.
If it will survive in trucks, busses, motorhomes and my dragster it will surely survive and could only improve your race program no matter what the HP level and as things go it is not expensive at all!!

This is where I get mine and also has some good info about the fluid
https://dmaxstore.com/products...12_149&product_id=41

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
My Transynd synthetic trans fluid temp is always 125-130 when staged, whether 1st round or final round.

Been running dex 6 for a while now, but have been thinking about making the switch to transynd after rarely seeing allison transmissions come through my trans shop. From what i have been reading, its the same viscosity as dex 6 so it should be interesting. I believe the reason allisons usually never self destruct, is because the temps stay way lower than any other trans out there, and the fluid is some of the reason.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Can you just drain your existing fluid, of course you can’t get it all out of the converter, and mix in Transynd synthetic?

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes, but don’t expect the full benefit. Ideally the changed to Transynd is done on a fresh trans and either new or drained converter.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
You can come pretty close to a full fluid change-over. If I'm not mistaken, the fluid flow from the trans pump pushes the fluid through the converter, then out the cooler line, cooler return dumps into pan.
Years ago I changed over from Dex red fluid to a green fluid, (B&M, IIRC). I did a filter change, then poured in 4 quarts of the new fluid. Disconnected the line at the cooler and put the end of it in a 1 gallon bucket. Fired it up and in a few seconds it pumped about 3 quarts of pure red fluid into the bucket. Added 3 more quarts to trans, emptied the bucket and repeated. This time, at about 2 more quarts into the 2nd bucket, fluid color went to green. Shut it off, poured all the used fluid into empty 1 gallon oil jugs that were marked in 1 qt increments. I had pumped out 6 quarts total, plus whatever was in the pan when I dropped it, I think it took a total of 8 quarts when all was done.
I believe it had pretty-much purged at least 90% or more of the old fluid. If you were not changing fluid colors, you could just estimate when you had purged it based on quantity you pumped out.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
I switched to Transynd before I left for the Million. Double entered at Huntsville and Montgomery with no trans cooling issues at all. I just have a cooler and a small blower I set on top of trans blowing on main trans body.125-130 in the box every time...

How much DIFFERENCE did you see?

I was hot lapping my 4.40 dragster at Huntsville. FAST turnaround especially in later rounds. I never got above 150 and it cooled down easily. I can't believe I didn't use it before when Ed was talking about it a few years ago. I won't use anything else again and I have used every top shelf fluid out there over the years.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
I switched to Transynd before I left for the Million. Double entered at Huntsville and Montgomery with no trans cooling issues at all. I just have a cooler and a small blower I set on top of trans blowing on main trans body.125-130 in the box every time...

How much DIFFERENCE did you see?

He's speaking to how the new oil affected the torque converter (stall), in terms of the amount of delay he ran in the delay box.

No I wasn't. It had no affect on delay or converter stall. 125-130* trans temp in the BO box.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve, without question it is the best transmission fluid PERIOD, it has no equal!!

Did the research back in 2004 and spoke directly to Allison's Trans Fluid Engineer, responsible for Transynd's development.

https://jglubricantservices.com/about_us.html

I was sold and I've been running it since 2005.

Ed, have you been running this fluid in the Firebird TH400 as well ?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes, since day 1 of ownership back in 2008 and btw, that Rossler Turbo400 is for sale. Wink

Used in the Chevelle since 2005

Used in the dragster since day 1 of ownership 2014.

I buy it from the local Allison dealer or the local GM fleet dealer.

The impetus for making the switch to Transynd from Type F fluid was following a race in NC where I was double entered in the late rounds and burnt the fluid. Smelled terrible and looked like mud water.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed. I’m using Dex 6 now in my th400 that needs the fluid changed. I’m going to do a fluid change 2x with Transynd and this will have 75% then. From what I’ve read Dex 6 and Transynd mix well. Good link from Big Steve on where to purchase and did so.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What determines the type of trans fluid you should run...the converter? I've always run fairly basic Mopar specific fluid in my 727s, but if I'm running the same brand converter with the same style clutches, should I be concerned with swapping to a GM fluid?

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of drampage
posted Hide Post
quote:
yes, since day 1 of ownership back in 2008 and btw, that Rossler Turbo400 is for sale. Wink

Used in the Chevelle since 2005

Used in the dragster since day 1 of ownership 2014.

I buy it from the local Allison dealer or the local GM fleet dealer.

The impetus for making the switch to Transynd from Type F fluid was following a race in NC where I was double entered in the late rounds and burnt the fluid. Smelled terrible and looked like mud water.
Thank you for all of the information. I'm actually building a new powerglide for my race car and I definitely will use the Transynd and I will make the decision to get the cooler afterwards.

Posts: 144 | Location: west palm beach | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I run transynd because I could get it from my old job. Boss said it was ok as long as it was just enough for my trans and that was it. Ed's dead on right, best fluid out there.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, for a cooler I run a Shogun Kool Kan.....used to just have the cooler line looped. Even after back to back passes, the cooler is only warm to the touch. Before I installed it, the trans would be hot as hell after just one pass....now the trans is only warm as well. I know a lot of people don't like them, but it's working well for my stuff and no wires to worry about....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Thanks Ed. I’m using Dex 6 now in my th400 that needs the fluid changed. I’m going to do a fluid change 2x with Transynd and this will have 75% then. From what I’ve read Dex 6 and Transynd mix well. Good link from Big Steve on where to purchase and did so.

We somehow ended up with a case of synthetic dex in the shop. I have been reluctant to mix it with the old dex, but I'm not looking to change everything over. Can it mix?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post