DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Electric dragster
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Yup, and Garlits blames it on the Chinese batteries....nuff said

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Only garlits is shocked by a fire caused by Lithium batteries Roll Eyes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I don't believe he was shocked, just disappointed.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
He was the head liner for the last event at Palm Beach. Definitely looks like he hasn’t figured out how to manage the batteries. They need to be liquid cooled and temperature monitored.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
shoulda sent this project over to musk.G arlits way over his head and showing us what not to do

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
When you’re wearing a diaper daily and need to be held while standing and walking, it’s time to exist the ****pit permanently. All he’s doing is embarrassing himself now.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of electric cars at all but I am going to say this. One electric car burns up and some want to say drop it and give up on it. As drag racers we try things and push the limits. And we break things. Most all of us have and the pros break whole lot more stuff than we ever will because they push the limits further than we care to.

That is how we learn by seeing how much Nitro, how much boost or Nitrous we can throw at it and then trying to resolve issues when we go too far.

I believe he is trying to get the most performance out of the lightest battery packs he can. Those batteries could be made perfectly safe but they would not perform as well.

Don Garlits is doing what he has always done try new things and see how far he can push it for better performance and this is not the first car or motor he has hurt. You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet. I believe he is near 200 MPH and that is impressive. How many of you guys have gone 200? Especially on a platform that nobody has ever really tried before. He is testing the limits and he will make changes and raise the bar and test those limits to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No one cares except maybe a few old men. It’s an embarrassment and one of the reasons NHRA Drag Racing is dying when they and others prop him up as if he’s the inventor of drag racing no mind the electric car. The future of drag racing doesn’t lie with garlits, rather it lies with the Big 3 and young superstars in NHRA class racing as well and maybe more important, the exposure drag racing gets every week on the discovery channel, reaching millions who are watching Street Outlaws, America’s List and NO Prep Kings.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Don garlits was extremely relevant and innovative back about when the pyramids where being built

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
We can only hope to be as spry and active as Garlits is at 90.

Is he over his head with the electric thing, probably. Is he hard headed and stubborn about it, sure. Is he underfunded, most likely. But he's still doing what he loves, just like the rest of us.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
Don garlits was extremely relevant and innovative back about when the pyramids where being built

EXACTLY!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I agree the Future does not depend on Garlits and I HOPE the Future is not electric. But there is no denying that Garlits is one of most important in drag racing History. Like him or not he is part of the reason Drag racing got as big as it did. He is not the only one, there is John Force, Kenny Burnstien, Eddie Hill and more but Garlits is right at or near the top.

Nobody cares if a WannaBe thinks he is a HasBeen.

None of us have made the impact on drag racing that he has. I do not even like electric cars at all but I do like that he is trying something few others have done and once again he is thinking outside the box.

I like that he had the foresight to save many of those cars and make a museum to showcase them and the history behind it.

I like that Garlits stood up to Wally Parks and NHRA to try to make it better. A lot of people complain about NHRA but he stood up to them. We could probably use some of that to right now.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This “wannabe” has made more passes on a drag strip, won more races, more rounds, has more Wallys, more big $ checks and has run quicker and faster then you will ever loser! Spitting

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Wow...Next thing you know a Top Fuler will catch fire and cause a clean up on the track. Glad that never happens anymore.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is he hard headed and stubborn about

lets replace that with narcisistic and arrogant?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Perfect

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Garlits isn't the future of drag racing, Garlits is the model for what drew millions of blue collar Americans to drag racing.

Garlits knew drag racing because he was hands on. This is what blue collar Americans related to back then, and today.

Rich kids placed in race cars, do nothing to spark interest in blue collar Americans.

Tony Stewart pointed this out recently.

It's not Americana.

Garlits is Americana.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
We can only hope to be as spry and active as Garlits is at 90.

Is he over his head with the electric thing, probably. Is he hard headed and stubborn about it, sure. Is he underfunded, most likely. But he's still doing what he loves, just like the rest of us.

Facts!
I think EV's make no sense....none. They are an answer to nothing. And they are completely queer. But to each their own.

What I am concerned about is the sanctioning bodies keeping up with the technology.
From a competition stand, no way anything EV should compete against IC bracket cars, including jr's.
And from a safety point....well that situation could have gone very badly. There needs to be some new safety guidelines and training about how to deal with the ev's when things go wrong.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Facts!
I think EV's make no sense....none. They are an answer to nothing. And they are completely queer. But to each their own.

Bucky...No EV of any kind? Or just dragracing?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post