DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Chromoly or Mild Steel Cage
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chromoly or Mild Steel Cage
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
King don't bullshyt, King is one of the people you can bank on his word.

Rare breed these days.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Time to go load the imaginary fully Sponsored/Partnered 68 Camaro to do some testing. Heck I forgot, I have to unload the imaginary & partially Sponsored/Partnered 80 Camaro first. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2582 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
quote:
t inter

I know that truck and its current owner Smile and I own a home in Vegas and have seen the truck run many times over the years. Also seen Mr King's Camaro run plenty as well. Have no reason to doubt anything he says and can verify his claims for what that's worth.

As for the question at hand I say do what you feel you can comfortably afford. I have done both and not had any issues with either, performance wise or resale wise. I sold my last car that was MS for a fairly good chunk of change and the new owner is perfectly happy with it as was I

Thanks Al!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2582 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
King don't bullshyt, King is one of the people you can bank on his word.

Rare breed these days.

Thanks Mike!

ED is a Jealous Hater! I'm glad he found success racing with his son. Because he was lacking while he was in the seat, limited success at best!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Roll cages are like seat belts in a passenger car IMO, or masks. If you like your chances of surviving a crash, accident or virus you should be free to choose to wear a mask, seat belt or how many bars and if any you have in your race car.

Now that can be twisted a million ways to Sunday but that's the freedom this country was founded on by the dangerous men who founded it. You're not putting anyone else but yourself at risk no roll bar.

With that being said, if I have to comply to race I'm doing chrome moly. The dude that did mine tried to talk me out the chrome moly bar in my car we did 25-30 years ago too, saying it was double or more the cost. I said that's no problem put as few in to be legal.

6.39 and slower,all ya need is a six point. No licence needed either.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
B King,

Mild steel mig welded will be just fine. The 7.50 certification makes sense too. Its just a better lay out for strength, safety, and rigidity of the racecar. For those of you who think that the cost of a molly cage is only about the material cost, you have never tig welded a roll cage in and compared the time required to do that same project with mild steel and mig welded. Its easily a 2-4X multiplier in welding time, and time is money. We could debate the strength in a crash situation but bending modulus (a measure of the material's resistance to bend when a force is applied perpendicular to the long edge of a sample) will need to be considered in that discussion, you might be surprised at how close they are for both materials. Bending modulus is all that really matters for crash situations. There's also a real concern about folks who don't know how to tig weld but think they can and build chromolly chassis. The same concern exists for chassis builders who think they can mig weld and cant. If you have a properly configured, braced, and welded mild steel 7.50 legal chassis it will be fine and safety factor of both (chromolly vs. mild steel) for the purposes of this discussion will be essentially the same. I believe the overall impact in weight is around 150 to 200 lbs for a full tube chassis car mild steel being heavier.

If you don't care about the additional weight and want the cost savings go M/S. If you want the weight savings, don't mind spending the extra money, like the resale proposition, know a really good chassis builder who has a proven history of building nice molly cars, and you trust them, then go chromolly.

Posts: 387 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If I build a chassis certed 7.50, it has a low center of gravity for handling at the speeds associated with 7.50 ets.

Otherwise, Essentially I'm saying "there you go" when the high center of gravity car is picked up. "You'll survive a crash at speeds associated with 7.50 ets".

No?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
ED is a Jealous Hater! I'm glad he found success racing with his son. Because he was lacking while he was in the seat, limited success at best!

"Jealous, "limited" success" Falling of chair laughing

I've got the Wally's and big checks. I challenge you to post yours after you post one of your many 7 second time slips with your competition # on the car and your NHRA 6B License with your name and the same number on it. NahNahTounge

quote:
Time to go load the imaginary fully Sponsored/Partnered 68 Camaro to do some testing. Heck I forgot, I have to unload the imaginary & partially Sponsored/Partnered 80 Camaro first. Big Grin
Laughing Hard

Our marketing partners

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for helping get back on the rail!

I'm still planning on chromoly if I can stay within my budget parameters. Now I have to decide on the 7.50 or 8.50 cert. & stay within budget.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for helping get back on the rail!

I'm still planning on chromoly if I can stay within my budget parameters. Now I have to decide on the 7.50 or 8.50 cert. & stay within budget.

Take Triple Nickels suggestion. Get someone who can burn it in deep chromemolly.

There's some good ones out there, might cost a little more $$. You get it though.

Good luck

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've never had a licence. You need a license to tell you you're capable of drag racing?

I never needed anyone to tell me I was capable.

Trust me, NOONE is surprised you don't have one.
If the track is NHRA sanctioned, that's a great way to get a track owner in trouble if you need one and don't have it.

But you do you, Paul Revere. Licenses and roll cages are fer commies.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A39Coronet:
quote:

I've never had a licence. You need a license to tell you you're capable of drag racing?

If the track is NHRA sanctioned, that's a great way to get a track owner in trouble if you need one and don't have it.

Maybe it's because I'm observant when I'm at the payout window I dunno, but the first thing I noticed when getting paid to win a Super Pro race is they never ask how fast you went.And they didn't pay extra for going fast.

So I get this bright idea if I putt down through there 6.39 or slower in my factory condition 69 Nova SS on a 10" tire to 7 seven Super Pro championships in ten years, WTF would I need a licence for I gotta pay extra money with restrictions attached?

If you think you can do anything better than I can on the drag strip or with a drag car at any speed, because you paid for a licence,you're a dumber F than I thought.

The only thing in my neck of the woods anyone was ever surprised about, was when the Ripper Nova didn't win the local Super Pro race on Friday night at Sunshine, which was held every Friday night.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Here's my latest n/a sbc Super Pro gimmick with my factory condition 69 Nova SS on a 10 x 28 bias tire.

Think I need a license? Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
High gear only...not impressed, Paul.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
High gear only...not impressed, Paul.

You must be, because I didn't ask if you were impressed, I asked if you thought I needed a license.

Nobody mentioned impressed but you.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lights Out 8...Rd 2 when you went .195 on the tree (you only ever show Rd 1 because you guessed and went .008), you went 6.02 which would mean you'd need a license. South Georgia Motorsports Park is an NHRA member track, so you'd need a license to go faster than 6.39.

I'm sure there may be stipulations about "it wasn't an NHRA sanctioned event" or whatnot but I'd think if legalities were persued, and something were to occur, the track could be held liable in the event of an unforeseen event.

So, like I said....

quote:

if you need one and don't have it.

...you'd be putting the track at risk. Not too American-like to your fellow tax payer, Paul.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
F Nhra !!! Just saying

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1404 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lights Out 8...Rd 2 when you went .195 on the tree (you only ever show Rd 1 because you guessed and went .008), you went 6.02 which would mean you'd need a license. South Georgia Motorsports Park is an NHRA member track, so you'd need a license to go faster than 6.39.

I'm sure there may be stipulations about "it wasn't an NHRA sanctioned event" or whatnot but I'd think if legalities were persued, and something were to occur, the track could be held liable in the event of an unforeseen event.

So, like I said....

quote:

if you need one and don't have it.

...you'd be putting the track at risk. Not too American-like to your fellow tax payer, Paul.

Actually I was 008 first round off the trailer no time. I made a time run two and a half weeks earlier .034 rt at Bradenton on their 370 pro tree,. SGMP is 400 pro tree. No need to guess I was set up double O.

Second rd I was late because my glass eye popped out when I decked it on the leave chip. It ended up on the floorboard, when I reached for it with my toes my flip flop got hung up under the gas pedal half throttle when the car left late on the tree, no big deal chit happens.

The only reason I went 6.39 or slower at Sunshine is because that's how fast officials said I was legal.

At Lights Out SGMP officials said I could go as fast as I wanted.

What's wrong with that?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe it's because I'm observant when I'm at the payout window I dunno, but the first thing I noticed when getting paid to win a Super Pro race is they never ask how fast you went.And they didn't pay extra for going fast.

So I get this bright idea if I putt down through there 6.39 or slower in my factory condition 69 Nova SS on a 10" tire to 7 seven Super Pro championships in ten years, WTF would I need a licence for I gotta pay extra money with restrictions attached?

If you think you can do anything better than I can on the drag strip or with a drag car at any speed, because you paid for a licence,you're a dumber F than I thought.

The only thing in my neck of the woods anyone was ever surprised about, was when the Ripper Nova didn't win the local Super Pro race on Friday night at Sunshine, which was held every Friday night.

Was the track closed for 3 years?

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
F Nhra !!! Just saying

LoL!