New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD 7530
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just had a 7530 give up the magic smoke. Just had the power on to kick over the engine to to the valves. Thing was in the car when I got it 5 years ago, and just all of a sudden got stinky. Has anybody else have this happen? Who would you suggest sending it to diagnose what happened? I know tech west has been good in the past, and MSD will just tell me it’s fine and it magically works. I’d rather put a new box in and just know what happened with the old one and scrap it. I’ve been running this box flawlessly for 4 years. Spit out duplicate passes this weekend, then just took itself out of commission tonight. Any info will be appreciated

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We built a buddies car this year. So box wasn't in the car much but worked great until first day at the track. Tech wanted to check his kill switch with car running. They killed the switch and car shut off. Turned it back on and box was toast. Msd said it shouldn't have happened.

Any chance your battery was low or got real low if you were using it up crank over the motor for valves? I've know these electronics to be flakey when low voltage such as during cranking and they get hit with quick flickers of juice.

I used to run efi system that my battery got low and it stuck all the injectors on wide open and flooded the motor when battery and cranking occurred. Had to reflash the program to it to unlock the injectors.

I always put a tender on mine when sitting and run an alternator.

If your sure you didn't change anything. But another box and make sure the battery is not going bad and is fully charged. Take the battery and have it tested.. Don't assume it's good because it says 12v. There is a big difference when there is a load on it.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Seriously?? D7 has been obsolete for over 3 years.

Consider replacing D7 with MSD Grid.

Posts: 2467 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My bad. Quick glance thought he was taking about the grid..7530 vs 7730

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post