DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dully vs Single rear wheel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dully vs Single rear wheel
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Checking your tongue weight on a fully loaded trailer is a very good idea.

Its easy to do with a home made setup using a bathroom scale.....or buy a hitch scale device.

I did mine last year and had 1150lbs on the tongue.....

I adjusted my Motorhome and trailer as it is supposed to be done as recommended by the hitch makers....and it made an improvement.....and a new hitch this year improved the handling even more.

"death wobble" or snake dancing is a sure sign you're way off somewhere.....

Running a down hill highway stretch and being passed by a truck is your worst scenario....Takes maybe 2 wobbles and your toast....

Had friends lose it exactly like that....

I usually never go faster than 70 towing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I pull a loaded out 28’ enclosed with 3500 pounds of chevelle inside. I’ve got a ‘95 C3500/454 dually and a 2016 F-250 super duty diesel.
F-250 of course has way, way more power and even brakes better than the dually. I do have to position the car slightly ****her back when I pull with the F-250 or it will ever so slightly wobble when an 18 wheeler flies by. Dually don’t wobble at all and isn’t as finicky about tongue load.
A dually is more stable, yes, but i have absolutely no problem pulling my junk with the F-250 anywhere.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
I made the exact same swap RACERBUG is proposing 3 months ago. I went from a 2017 3500 dual rear wheel 4x4, 4 door, with 8' bed to 2018 4 door, 2500, 6.5' bed, both with cummins diesels. I'm pulling a 28' enclosed trailer with a single dragster and a golf cart, initially golf cart was in the left front (no floor cabinets at all so it was all the way in the front) and dragster was in the back angled to the right front. Towing with the dually was excellent and the ride was plush with ZERO worries. The 2500 with the same car/golfcart arrangement inside the trailer is not fun. Death wobble starts anywhere north of 60 MPH, comes and goes all the way up to 80 MPH, then returns on the decel until you get below 60 MPH. The trailer is steel frame cargomate dual 5200 lb axles, 5' tongue, load leveler bars and sway bar in use on both trucks.

The dually didn't need the sway bar, the 3/4 ton needs it but it's not enough to stop the death wobble. Stopping with the dually was a non issue, stopping with the 3/4 ton is manageable, but not as good as with the dually.

I've been able to improve ride quality with the 3/4 ton truck by turning the dragster around backwards and parking it all the way to the front on the left side, the golf cart is now on the right side as far forward as i can possibly get it (front tires just ahead of the c/l of front axles on the trailer). In my case with the 2500 truck it appears i didn't have enough tongue weight to make the trailer ride and not wobble the truck at speeds greater than 60 mph. With the new configuration and more tongue weight (its alot, when i put it on a 2015 half ton chevy it bottomed the suspension out all the way to the rear end stops hit the frame) it seems to pull fine up to 80 mph. Stopping now seems to be more of an issue as i no longer have as much weight on the front tires.

For reference, my coleman 5500 watt generator, 12 volt trailer battery, and trailer air compressor are all located on the tongue of the trailer in a compartment i built.

If towing is your main reason for having the truck i'd stick with a dually. If its dual purpose, you don't mind a little more hassle when towing, and the majority of the truck use is without a trailer then the 3/4 ton is the best choice. Dually's ride like crap and they are hard to park.

Weight balance is important, but one of your issues was getting the short bed grocery getter. I’m not even sure why they make a short bed 3/4 ton truck....

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Anyone saying you have to have a dually to pull safely is NOT telling the truth,PERIOD!!Like SCDIV1 said,if you have a death wobble you're way off somewhere.A big part of it is whether it's 4WD or 2WD.4WD is not as stable.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My junk is older but I prefer the stability of the dually and safety of it. Handles the wind so much better.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerbug:
I have a 2003 F-350 7.3 Dully looking to upgrade to a new truck. I am looking at a new 2019 F-250 4x4 SWD. The question is I have a 28ft race car trailer and a 30ft boat.Do you think I will be able to tow both of them with a single rear drive with no problem?

Yes, I’m using a sw f3504x4 now on a 34’ extra tall trailer, 3300# on the tongue. Wiggles around some but not terrible.

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My f250 single rear tires never a issue, I've towed about 8000 miles a year.

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I always get a chuckle when I pass the folks with the srw and watch them wrestle it ....lol...

Posts: 1239 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
After reading the above posts, I guess I'm the only one that likes the convenience and peace of mind knowing that with a dually, and getting a flat tire on the rear, I will have a better chance of getting stopped safely and being able to get off the highway.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We decided on the SRW 2500 Duramax.
Mostly the trailer is behind the motorhome.
What I noticed the most is the 2500 squatted more than expected when I put the trailer on it.
I took it for a short test drive, and seemed like it was all good. The Allison, engine brake makes stopping the easiest task of the trip.

We have had two duallys, and without a doubt, the better of the two in towing all around.

If a dually does not make your life difficult on a daily basis, get the dually.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
I always get a chuckle when I pass the folks with the srw and watch them wrestle it ....lol...

I can see why that would be humorous Confused

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mickey Walters is dead on. I had a 1 ton chevy single rear wheel with 8' bed, never had an issue towing anything i put behind it similar to the experience with the dually. The dually well its a dually there's more capacity in those trucks that i ever thought. The short bed 3/4 ton truck is just what Mickey says, its a grocery getter. Even though it will pull whatever you put behind it, the ride will not be as smooth and or as safe as with an 8' bed truck even better if its a dually.

In my case, the wife drives the big truck everyday i drive the true grocery getter everyday to work and back. Don't make sense to put all them miles on the big truck, plus i'm hard on vehicles and the wife takes really good care of the ones she rides in.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
A dually is a pain in the tail sometimes to park but it is worth it in my opinion for the stability.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
DRW for the win

Posts: 7 | Location: morton il | Registered: January 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I once had a hitch ball shear off going 70mph. I don't believe I could have saved it with a SRW truck. The 3 axel trailer also helped. I still say you can't have to much truck and I won't compromise.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well after cpl 60 mile trips with new trailer (empty)behind ram 1500 4WD I can tell you I will be working on the dually and getting our FL70 motor home back in shape. Hell if had a 200 mile trip I would need 1 day to recoup and get my knuckles back to normal color. I have called crazy SOB alot ,but after those rides. I am still working on getting my seat hammered back flat.

Piedmont is 18 miles and mainly slower back roads so its my play grounds for a little while.

Dully for the win!!

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Certainly not going to disagree that a DRW truck is the better tow vehicle by any measure.
In my case, I use my truck as my daily driver, and have plenty of reasons to not want to drive a dually every day.
With that being said, I am fine with using my SRW 2500 HD to haul my 10K Lb 28' tag, as I no longer haul many long distances to race.

I MUST say, if you go SRW, DO put GOOD tires on your truck. Always go with Load Range E at a minimum, and 10 ply rating or better. And replace them at least every 5 years.

For you guys who experience any sort of "death wobble", get rid of your damned Dodge trucks! Eek (Yeah, ok, here come the bullets, I can take it). Cool Their ridiculous front end design should have been made illegal 20 years ago. Why GM is still the only Mfr to put independent front suspension on these $60K+ trucks is simply astounding to me. They handle FAR better than the Ram, and noticeably better than the Super Duty trucks, (which do handle OK, way better than the Dodges). Never had a single wobble, EVER, on my 2002 4x4 HD, (even at 275K miles), or my 2015. Towed trailers and boats more than 30,000 miles with them combined, and yes, for long runs at speeds over 85 MPH, (when I was younger and more stupid). Straight axles, and 1960's suspension technology has no place on today's crumbling infrastructure. Now if GM would just make their brakes a bit better... (They actually do work fine on the newer truck, just that it takes about as much pedal effort as a dual-disc racing clutch). Roll Eyes The exhaust brake on the Duramax is a fantastic thing to have.
One more opinion before I jump off the soap box:
I agree with Rich and others who say that a half-ton anything is NOT a good choice for towing a race trailer. Maybe ok with a lightweight deal, like a small-block vega or altered on a 16' open trailer. My truck does not squat hardly at all with 1000 # tongue weight, but a friend hooked up my loaded trailer when he was test-driving a half ton pickup, (not gonna say what brand, it don't matter), and it looked like a La Bamba low-rider from the boulevards of Los Angeles. (Yeah, he ended up buying a 3/4 ton pickup instead). Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
they've been hammering the dually's out here for "inspections". Lots of tickets written. We got stopped again last week (3 times in 1 1/2 years), "routine DOT inspection". Many of our customers also tow their construction equipment with dually trucks; many have had similar experiences. I felt it worth mentioning. No they didn't ticket us. Only issue we had was one taillight was brighter than the other; had one diode out.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerbug:
Do you think I will be able to tow both of them with a single rear drive with no problem?

Razz

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post