Bracket Talk
Pin hole in front tire, plug it or tube it?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/3857068286

April 11, 2019, 10:32 AM
SmokinChicken
Pin hole in front tire, plug it or tube it?
I have a very small pin hole in one of my brand new front tires (Mickey Thompson ET Front Tire 25.0X4.5R15). I have been told by 3 places that they cannot patch it. I really dont want to plug it because then that would require me making the hole alot larger. So now im at a dilemma lol, should I plug it or run a tube in it? Not sure where to get the tube from.
April 11, 2019, 11:01 AM
pauley
take it off and put a plug patch on the inside. I have done that before and it is fine. every body will tell you not to patch it because it is a racing tire so they do not want the liability. patch it from inside and keep racing.

ep
April 11, 2019, 11:27 AM
SmokinChicken
Ive taken it to 4 different places, the normal patch wont stick. Guess i have to find a plug patch, is it different than a normal patch when it comes to sticking?
April 11, 2019, 01:45 PM
WHOMPWHOMP
Back in the day we would scuff inside of tire real good with air grinder...put glue on set it on fire for a second then install patch...
April 11, 2019, 01:55 PM
SmokinChicken
They tried all of that and it wont stick
April 11, 2019, 03:59 PM
imakehp
I would push a small screwdriver, wire, whatever works through the h0le from the outside, smear some RTV around to h0le and metal piece, then fill the tire to 40lbs and slowly remove the screwdriver and let the RTV backfill in the h0le providing a plug of sorts. The "smear" of RTV inside the tire would work as the retaining flap.
I'm wondering why you're not returning a new tire that has a leak of any kind?

Dave

F J B

April 11, 2019, 04:56 PM
442OLDS
Maybe it is just me,but I cringe when I see threads like this.

For what it costs to replace a race car,if I ever have a hole in one of the tires on the race car,it is getting replaced with a NEW tire.

If money ever gets too tight to afford a new tire,that is when I think it is time to hang up the helmet.
April 11, 2019, 05:07 PM
imakehp
First of all, it IS a new tire..
2nd, it's a pin hole in the tire...

Are you saying using tubes would be dangerous??

Dave

F J B

April 11, 2019, 05:45 PM
team
Tube it or buy a new one.
April 11, 2019, 10:23 PM
SmokinChicken
First off, I never said the pin hole was in when i got it. So no need to return it. The pin hole was actually caused by a rock. As per the manufacturer a tube or new tire would be the only safe alternatives.
April 11, 2019, 11:00 PM
Tom396
How about some fix-a-flat and keeping an eye on the tire pressure? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
April 12, 2019, 03:55 AM
imakehp
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
First off, I never said the pin hole was in when i got it. So no need to return it. The pin hole was actually caused by a rock. As per the manufacturer a tube or new tire would be the only safe alternatives.

You said "you have a very smail pin hole in one of your brand new front tires".....leading me to believe these where in fact BRAND NEW TIRES WITH A VERY SMALL PIN HOLE....Hence my question about returning the tire.
You seem to already have your answer (tubes or replace) so why bother asking....

Dave

F J B

April 12, 2019, 05:43 AM
green1
Brand new means never used so I guess it isn’t brand new.
April 12, 2019, 05:44 AM
Sugar Shane
I would try some right stuff or black RTV, on the inside and/or fill the hole if possible. Cant hurt anything by trying that. I always thought tubes in the front were a NO NO? If its a brand new unused tire someone would be replacing it.

Shane Carr

"Sugar Shane"
April 12, 2019, 06:26 AM
Alaskaracer
motorcycle inner tube. Costs about $5-6 and be done with it. Had to do that with my old car, front wheels leaked where they mated. Car went 206 multiple times with my buddy that bought it and that setup, so it's good....patches are hit or miss sometimes....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
April 12, 2019, 07:19 AM
mavman
A plug patch is similar to a normal patch with the exception that it has a plug with a metal guide built into it. How it works is you enlarge the pin hole a little, buff the inside of the tire where the injury is, apply glue to the tire, then use the metal part of the plug patch to push it through the injury, pull it tight from the outside and roll it into the tire. Then obviously cut off the nipple at the outside. They were at one time DOT approved, don't know if they still are or not. I won't patch or plug any motorcycle tire, period so we don't use them anymore-but still have a stash of plug patches for an occasional lawn mower or tractor tire repair. They work pretty good.
April 12, 2019, 01:29 PM
Mike Beck
Never ran tubes in front tires. Do you need to drill out the wh0le for the valve stem like you would for a rear tube? If so, that is the end of that wheel......... Once you drill that baby out, there ain't no going back!
April 13, 2019, 07:39 AM
Alaskaracer
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Never ran tubes in front tires. Do you need to drill out the wh0le for the valve stem like you would for a rear tube? If so, that is the end of that wheel......... Once you drill that baby out, there ain't no going back!

Generally you don't. If it's a dragster wheel, a motorcycle tube valve stem is the small version and no drilling is required. They also come with lock nuts to clamp the stem to the wheel.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
April 13, 2019, 09:35 AM
442OLDS
quote:
(Mickey Thompson ET Front Tire 25.0X4.5R15)

This was the ORIGINAL tire of the ORIGINAL question.
April 13, 2019, 05:55 PM
Roger McGinnis
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a plug. I've never used one in a slick, but I've probably seen a dozen. And in a front would be even less of an issue. Plug it and wear the tire out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ