DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Head flow/fuel consumption
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head flow/fuel consumption
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted
If your BBC head flows 460 cfm will it need more fuel than a head that flows say 410
Thx in advance

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
if you don't give it more fuel, it's going to be way lean.

To the math we go!!!!
410 cfm x 2.2 = 902 hp 460 x 2.2 = 1012 hp
902 hp / .5 BSFC = 450 pph 1012hp / .5bsfc = 506PPH
so roughly 12% more fuel

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I’ve seen bsfc go down as the head gets better.

How is that possible? I dunno, increased VE results in higher dynamic compression and therefore better thermal efficiency... who knows

Now, if it’s mfi and you’re setting a baseline tune i sure wouldn’t bank on that. But I also wouldn’t be shocked if it makes more power on similar pfuel flow.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
If your BBC head flows 460 cfm will it need more fuel than a head that flows say 410
Thx in advance

Is this a trick question!!!!!!

As with most open ended questions like this the answer is it depends!

But assuming you use the same combo, run it the port the heads and reinstall them,,, using a carb, no you don't, the carb will listen to the motor so the more air that flows through it, the more fuel it will send to the motor. This assumes that the rest of the combo can use/utilize the added airflow! If you had a MFI setup then you may need more fuel.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
if you don't give it more fuel, it's going to be way lean.

To the math we go!!!!
410 cfm x 2.2 = 902 hp 460 x 2.2 = 1012 hp
902 hp / .5 BSFC = 450 pph 1012hp / .5bsfc = 506PPH
so roughly 12% more fuel

Joe

Not that simple.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post