DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Front Suspension for 65 Chevelle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front Suspension for 65 Chevelle
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking to improve the front suspension of my small tire Chevelle. All steel w/ fiberglass hood, big block 460 w/ 990 heads. 3200lbs I think. Qa1 upper and lower control arms and Qa1 single adjustable shocks set as loose as possible. Moroso front springs that need to be replaced. Rear suspension is from Qa1 as well with shocks and upper arms w/ anti hop bars and boxed lowers with sway bar. Mickey Thompson 9in slick on 8in rim. 1.76 powerglide with 456 gears out back
60ft- 1.50-52 (when it hooks)
1/8- 6.70s @ 102
Transbrake rpm @ 3500
DA-1500ft to 2500ft

Posts: 18 | Location: Houston  | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Not sure front suspension work is going to do much for you. At that weight, you don't have enough gear to move the car. Also not sure of your BBC rpm limit but you should look to get close to a 10:1 overall ratio. Right now you're at 8.02:1. I had a 331 small block '66 Chevelle coupe that was similar to yours but had adjustable Koni's in the front with Moroso, raised and boxed upper control arms, no sway bars and 10's on 8 inch rims. I ran a TH400 but probably would have been HP better with a TH350. The overall on that car was 13.34:1. Car was 3000 on IHRA scale race ready and I had zip for HP - it wasn't much better than a street engine. 11.96@114 in the 1/4.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chasracer,

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response.
I assumed that might be the case. Think I may just get some aluminum heads to get that weight off the nose.

Posts: 18 | Location: Houston  | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What's the story on the front springs needing replaced? Adding gear to a car that already won't hook probably not going to help matters but it would certainly help your ET if you can get the transfer.
BW

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How loose is the front end on rise?
Get the front working like it should be and it’ll hook.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The left front spring collapsed so Im going to replace them both. The front end is fairly loose and has about 6 inches of travel.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Ive ran QA1 without issue but most would suggest a better shock. Also, do your know the weight bias? You didnt say but are you having traction issues or consistent 60’ issues?

Posts: 396 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post