Tools

What is it?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradsc1954:
I recently had something similar. I pushed the tail shaft seal out. I click it like you did and got a lot of smoke like that. I figured the smoke came from the transmission fluid hitting the hot rotors and burning off. But I am in a dragster not a door car.

No sign of any leakage from the tailshaft, or anything wet from there back.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephensx04:
Are you sure its oil causing smoke? Tire growth casing is to rub on inner tubs?

Only ever had a rear tire rub once on this car. Happened during a burnout when the car got pretty crossed up.

No sign of any tire rub this time, but I will pull the slicks so I can see the tubs....

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Mitch, how is your exhaust configured? I can't tell if you have Zoomies, or typical under-car door car collectors, or?
Watched the video several times, it sure looks like right-side is where the smoke came from on deceleration. But it also looks like enough there to where if it was oil being burned in a cylinder, you would see evidence of it in header or on a plug. So my hunch is it's something external, like the comments about possible trans fluid squirting onto the exhaust. (Which seems like it would leave a tell-tale sign on there as well).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
on deacceleration you may a ring going south and sucking a little oil out the exhaust valve

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Mitch, how is your exhaust configured? I can't tell if you have Zoomies, or typical under-car door car collectors, or?
Watched the video several times, it sure looks like right-side is where the smoke came from on deceleration. But it also looks like enough there to where if it was oil being burned in a cylinder, you would see evidence of it in header or on a plug. So my hunch is it's something external, like the comments about possible trans fluid squirting onto the exhaust. (Which seems like it would leave a tell-tale sign on there as well).

This is the only picture I could find showing the fender exit header on the right side. Look closely and you can just see a little bit of the catch can for the transmission directly above where the 4 pipes go into the collector.

Was going to do a leakdown tomorrow morning, but the guy that wants it cannot be at the shop until noon time on Sunday, so we will do it then. Pretty confident that the engine is not hurt, but either way it has to come out of there to make room for the next one.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch H:
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:

This is the only picture I could find showing the fender exit header on the right side. Look closely and you can just see a little bit of the catch can for the transmission directly above where the 4 pipes go into the collector.

Was going to do a leakdown tomorrow morning, but the guy that wants it cannot be at the shop until noon time on Sunday, so we will do it then. Pretty confident that the engine is not hurt, but either way it has to come out of there to make room for the next one.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Still doing a leakdown tomorrow, but early this morning I pulled the doors and the tunnel instead of peaking around at stuff.

Built a new loop line for the trans this spring, and one of the new Fragola 90 degree swivel fittings broke. With the tunnel opened up you can see where a stream hit the very bottom of the carbon bulkhead on that side and some missed it, landing on the top of the bottom frame rail. Re-hung the header for reference and sure enough, you can see where it squirted on the side of cylinder 6 pipe and bounced onto cylinder 8 pipe.

Lucky that most of it must have burnt, could have easily been on the lid there....

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Glad you found it before something bad happened.

Now, what do I win? LOL

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3098 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Glad you found it before something bad happened.

Now, what do I win? LOL

You were on the money!

What do you win? How about the privilege of answering stupid questions I will no doubt have in the near future! Finally decided enough was enough......always wanted to try a blower motor, so I guess I will set one in the car next week and start the changeover process.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

That's a good move nothing like a blower motor, wait till you feel the throttle response.

I'll answer all the stupid questions I can, hopefully the answers won't be stupid! LOL

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3098 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the smoke will be gone now.....