DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hanging a car and leaks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanging a car and leaks
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
For those who hang a dragster front end in the trailer, does it seem to create leaks from the back of trans and engine oil pans? Do you leave it hang from weekend to weekend? I'm wondering how many headaches I may cause myself.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My trans drips on the floor, but as I stated on another recent post, I've never had a racecar that didn't leave a few drops of trans fluid beneath it. It doesn't leak out the yoke seal or anything though.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Maybe a few more drips when hung from the front - and that's 2-3 weeks occasionally.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Mine pretty much hangs in the trailer year 'round unless it's at the track being raced.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I've been towing this way for 2 seasons now and have not seen any leaks because of it, I do not leave it hanging between races. As a side question for people that tow this way, do you put a brace underneath the middle of the dragster? I started out with one, but since it was not a bladder type, I think it was doing more harm than good so I stopped using it and have not seen any problems without it. I have straps around both rear tires and set the front tires down on a shelf and strap the front to it, then pull the door car underneath, I use the winch to take a little weight off it, everything seems ok so far but would like more input on the safety of it

Posts: 20 | Location: Fredonia | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I had a friend build this stand to sit on top of the air bladder. It does focus all of the support on a single point of the chassis, where the bladder itself would spread the load out over more area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lenny5160,

Tony Leonard

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lenny, does the bladder and stand stay put during long travels?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
Lenny, does the bladder and stand stay put during long travels?

It's in there pretty tight. I usually put about an inch of arch in the chassis with the air. The bladder also doesn't want to slide on the linoleum floor very well.

The only time it has ever moved over several years is when I drove home from Denver. When you come down from that altitude, anything inflated will go way down in psi. I suppose the bladder also deflated some but I mostly blame the slicks for losing a bunch of pressure so the car could move a little bit. The stand tipped and roughed up the bottom of the fiberglass seat a little bit.

Tony Leonard

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I thought about supporting like I did in the tag trailer. But I'm not sure I need to support the middle of the car in this gooseneck. Absolutly nothing moves. The rid in the trailer appears to be so much better.

If I support a car, I think I can buy enough room to put a small bathroom in the trailer.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
well hell, I am not hanging a car. Having enough trouble with bs leaks riding flat. NOT LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4195 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post