New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grass fire rig
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
So I had an idea for a Type 4 grass rig.
Jeff found me a 1992 UD Diesel cab and a half flatbed Century aluminum body tow truck.it cannot meet emission standards... 97k mikes. Everything works great! I mounted 2 each 250 gallon plastic cage tanks, 2 inch plumbing with tank valves. Both tanks manifold to one 2” line and to the pump with a screen. Bought the small 2” Harbor Freight has pump and plumbed one 3/4 line and a 1” line. Fired it up today with 3/4 hose and a good nozzle. Works great so far. I’m looking for a diesel pump....obvious reasons and I might take the winch motor to drive one more pump. I’m adding two more 250 tanks. My friends at Hi Tech Fire found me a 200’ hose reel electric rewind! Score! I refuse to get caught without protection again. Having built many pumpers/ Aerials, Type 1,2,3 and 4 pumpers this was a no brainer. Cheap and easy. Cheap because it cuts into the race budget! Lmao.

Misfire F.D.

Ideas??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4512 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You are headed in the right direction for sure.

As you know the first priority is having a rig that you can pump and run with.

I would look around the farms and machinery auction yards for a good used diesel powered water pump.

There is a good chance someone may have upgraded to a bigger or newer field pump and could have the old one still lying around.

I think I remember seeing that Kubota made a diesel pump with a 3" inlet. One of those would be about the perfect size for your truck.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post