DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Float adjustment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Float adjustment
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
What's the opinions on Holley style carb float adjustment with the brass plug style fuel bowls and center hung nitrophyl floats. Set the floats dry with the bowl upside down using a drill bit or on the car with the engine running to just the bottom of the sight hole?
Anyone use a spring on the center hung float?

Posts: 1560 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I set mine dry, upside down with a 7/16” drill bit.

It’s difficult to do it wet with removable sight plugs and a non-electric fuel pump.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3219 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I set mine dry, upside down with a 7/16” drill bit.

It’s difficult to do it wet with removable sight plugs and a non-electric fuel pump.

I also use this method. No spring on float. I do check the level at the plugs afterward, with the pump running. The level is usually just below the openings. I bump the rear bowl level up to where it just starts flowing over the threads. I leave the front bowl a touch lower. Those 2 are old habits from way back. The thought was to keep the front lower to prevent fuel from sloshing out the bowl vent into the primary throttle bores upon launching. Using vent tubes probably eliminates that issue anyway. And the high level at the rear bowl was to prevent the jets from sucking air when the fuel surged back away from them during launch. Jet extensions take care of that issue. So there really is no need to do all that with rear jet extensions and a tube across the bowl vents.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1090 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've read where some set the rear with a 3/8" drill bit and the front with a 7/16 to keep the rear bowl fuel level higher.

Posts: 1560 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I like upside down and measure from the roof (bottom) of the bowl to the seam of the float. Primary .750 and secondary .850

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 498 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I've read where some set the rear with a 3/8" drill bit and the front with a 7/16 to keep the rear bowl fuel level higher.

I could see that. I used to use 3/8" for both, but it was right on the edge of running fuel out the primary at idle. An uneven pit spot would make it drip.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3219 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
I like upside down and measure from the roof (bottom) of the bowl to the seam of the float. Primary .750 and secondary .850

clapping

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4626 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
3/8" drill bit never fails for me

The only fine adjustment for me is clocking the window in the needle and seat so it is facing the fuel inlet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomR,

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 782 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Interesting that, if you don't set primary and secondary heights the same, some are setting the secondary higher and some are setting it lower.

Tony Leonard

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are all of the floats the same using this method? Seems easy enough to cross check between the drill bit and the seam method for comparison. With the drill bit it always touches the edge of the float closest to the needle.

Now we go to the next question concerning floats. I have read a carburetor builders comment that he recommends float adjustment to change for lean/rich condition so no need to change jets for weather or seasons. Opinions?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

Now we go to the next question concerning floats. I have read a carburetor builders comment that he recommends float adjustment to change for lean/rich condition so no need to change jets for weather or seasons. Opinions?

Float level does make it a little richer or leaner. I do not change jets or float level for seasons or altitudes. When a carb is set right it really self adjusts for weather. The thicker, denser and more volume of the air is the more fuel it pulls with it. I am actually going back to carbs on all three of my race cars for next year and will have O2 data on them to know more.

One thing to be aware of if you are having problems with float level check your fuel pressure and I recommend putting new floats on every year.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4234 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Yep, floats get saturated and heavy over time. If you suddenly need to adjust your floats, you're better off pulling the bowls and finding out why they need to be adjusted. Trash in the needle and seat or heavy float that won't allow the n&s to close properly.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 782 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Yep, I begin every season with new floats.

It's really the only time I look at the carburetor.

Tony Leonard

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Final adjustment is always with the sight plugs, secondary over the bottom of the hole, primary just at the bottom, not running over.

Float level can affect the emulsion and main well feeds.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1809 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cant find the float adjustment on this Enderle injection hat..... Am i doing something wrong?

Posts: 429 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

X2

Bob

Posts: 3175 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Isn't that just the opposite of setting front with a 7/16 and rear with 3/8" I would have thought you wouldn't want the primary float higher.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Put new floats in and set the frt. at 7/16 and the rear at 3/8. Started the engine and checked for leaks and let it idle and opened the brass sight plugs. Frt. was below the opening by about a 1/16", rear was dribbling out the opening.
Inspecting my old frt. float it did have a split in it, it was a Braswell wedge shaped float.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up post, Eman.
Sounds like you've got them set right where I would want them to be.

What type of floats did you go with? The grey nitrophyl?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1090 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of nitrophyl floats from ATM, they are black. They are wedge style and both have the cutouts for jet extensions, ATM epoxied the seam where the arm attaches. I weighed them and engraved the weights on the steel arm of the float. I also had them send a set of gaskets, they are nice heavy pink colored gaskets. I had blue gaskets and have had some peel when they come off.