DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mechanical pump and carb?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanical pump and carb?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Thinking about putting a gas carb on the injected motor for a couple fall/winter races.

Car is setup with enderle belt pump for injection. Actually, the fuel pump is from the blower motor but I have a big pump sizer loop already to run the injection.

I’ve never tried his before and not sure how much I would need to change to bolt a carb on.

It seems like I can just put a lightweight return spring in the main poppet and then run a main jet that keeps system pressure around 10 psi? Then just tee off where the metering valve used to be?

I think I still have a couple decent fuel pressure regulators from when I used to run carbs a while back but if I’d prefer to run without a regulator if I can control pressure with just the poppet.

Posts: 929 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'd think with a quality return style regulator you should be fine.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1472 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Thinking about putting a gas carb on the injected motor for a couple fall/winter races.

Car is setup with enderle belt pump for injection. Actually, the fuel pump is from the blower motor but I have a big pump sizer loop already to run the injection.

I’ve never tried his before and not sure how much I would need to change to bolt a carb on.

It seems like I can just put a lightweight return spring in the main poppet and then run a main jet that keeps system pressure around 10 psi? Then just tee off where the metering valve used to be?

I think I still have a couple decent fuel pressure regulators from when I used to run carbs a while back but if I’d prefer to run without a regulator if I can control pressure with just the poppet.

Yep. When done right, this setup is better than any.

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I use to do this with a 13 gpm enderle pump, ran it on a blown alky setup, changed the plumbing and added my Aeromotive regulator and carb and ran it on a 1000hp 582 on gas

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1520 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Return regulator and a large return line to the tank....With a strong fuel pump a -10 return line is a must...Big part of the equation....to set it up right..

Posts: 228 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. After I posted I found where Koehler explained it in another thread. He said no regulator needed. I already have 2 #6 return hoses, pretty close to a #10 I think. Seeing as I need less than 1/4” pill per return to get down to 10 psi, I’m not sure why I would need a bigger hose?

Posts: 929 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post