DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    C454 intake manifold?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C454 intake manifold?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone ever use the old Edelbrock C454 dual plane intake with 4500 dominator flange for BBC rect. port with any drag racing success? Just curious cam, rear gear, and converter selection.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob:

I used one on a 468 big block and surprise, it worked really well. I've heard similar comments from other guys that they liked it better than many of the single plane manifolds. Better torque was the common comment. You can probably run a little less gear. A good 1050, 3 circuit Carb Shop dominator was what I used.

Good luck......

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob I guess this was the go to manifold back in the 80's with the Orange county SoCal Pro gas guys. Fabbro said he ran the C454 with 5.14s at 7500 rpm and it was still pulling.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ran one on a 2900lb chevelle with a 482 bbc, 4500 converter and 4:88 gears. Best 1/4 et was 9.69 @ 138. This was in good air with a turbo 400.

Posts: 8 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: July 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
They work very well. Don't forget to cut the center divider down about 3/4 inch.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Great intake for smaller inch engines.
We did a test against a Team G when they first came out, it was a .03 difference.
2600# Camaro, Lenco 4-speed, 5.13 gear, closed chamber 427, Crane roller, running 9-teens @ 151
Put one on a similar 427, flat tappet, TH-400, 5.13's back half Camaro, about 3400#, running mid 10's

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
?? Was cutting the divider down a common thing to do when using for 1/4 mile?. That would take away a little bottom end and help on the top end?

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
?? Was cutting the divider down a common thing to do when using for 1/4 mile?. That would take away a little bottom end and help on the top end?

That's the prevailing legend, it's fine out of the box.

Or, you can tune it as is, then cut it and see if it does anything.

You can also accomplish the same thing with spacer(s).

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Going to use 2" under the carb Dedenbear throttle stop

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:

Yes, that is correct. Take a look at the Edelbrock 7163, which is a current dual plane Rectangle Port BBC intake, (although I don't know if they make one with a Dominator flange). It has the plenum divider cut down on it, I believe all of the Performer RPM manifolds do. And you know they did a ton of testing to determine that was a worthwhile modification, otherwise they wouldn't spend the money to machine them that way. A lot of the old race engine shops used to do that mod for guys, before you could buy them that way.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Actually footbrakejim the C454 intakes all came with center divider cut down 1/2" to 3/4". They came that way from Eddie.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
You know what, I changed my mind. They are junk. Send it to me. Do you take paypal ?

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Deniker:
You know what, I changed my mind. They are junk. Send it to me. Do you take paypal ?

LOL No, It's going on my car as we speak, I really appreciate all the reviews plus a lot I gathered. I'll let you know after Bakersfield how it works. Some said it idles very smooth and more consistent.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
And for the 4150 guys, the C427 is identical except for the carb flange

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I've been using mine since 1981 mostly with a 9375 1050 4500. 12:1 433 BBC solid roller 702 lift 262/270 @.050. T400 trans, 4.88 12 bolt and almost 3,000 lbs with me and some ballast. 9.650 qtr and 6.04 1/8. Dynoed some single plane stuff in the mid 80's and no difference.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Bob:

Modifying the septum divider as mentioned does help, I cut the divider down in the C454 that I used.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
I've been using mine since 1981 mostly with a 9375 1050 4500. 12:1 433 BBC solid roller 702 lift 262/270 @.050. T400 trans, 4.88 12 bolt and almost 3,000 lbs with me and some ballast. 9.650 qtr and 6.04 1/8. Dynoed some single plane stuff in the mid 80's and no difference.

That is very surprising and impressive.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post