DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Broken valve spring
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken valve spring
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of shooter66
posted Hide Post
An intake gasket set and a head gasket are much cheaper then a block, head repair and pistons. Id rather know then guess.

www.BTEracing.com
M&M Chassis Craft
Mickey Thompson Tires

Oldani Motorsports Transmissions

Posts: 5287 | Location: Chitown  | Registered: February 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
I will get a ready to bolt on, complete head from Chad Speier, I have trust in his workmanship and should there be a problem, I have no doubts that he would remedy the situation.

I read your additional post as you would almost be saving money by getting new castings and avoiding the work that needed to be done to your current heads.

If you're having a head guy do it, I'm sure they will be good but all the same work will likely need to be done to the new castings.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The cam was a custom deal that is very easy on the valve train. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with it. Valve lash never moves. You would probably fall over If I told what my cam guy said I should expect for life. I run my stuff hard, but I keep a good eye on things.

Ok, I’m standing up… let us know what the cam guy said. Along with that do you have the cam specs for a comparison?

Although I have a very mild cam, the shaft rockers have never needed adjustment when checking in the 450 runs I have on my present engine. But I don’t run past 7100 on the track and the high rpm setting is at 7500.

After reading how hard you run your equipment, I’ve decided to continue running what I have to start the season much earlier than normal next year.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
I will get a ready to bolt on, complete head from Chad Speier, I have trust in his workmanship and should there be a problem, I have no doubts that he would remedy the situation.

I read your additional post as you would almost be saving money by getting new castings and avoiding the work that needed to be done to your current heads.

If you're having a head guy do it, I'm sure they will be good but all the same work will likely need to be done to the new castings.

The head I have is nearly 10 years old. Chad is constantly working the heads and making them better. So I would get the latest version of the head.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
The cam was a custom deal that is very easy on the valve train. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with it. Valve lash never moves. You would probably fall over If I told what my cam guy said I should expect for life. I run my stuff hard, but I keep a good eye on things.

Ok, I’m standing up… let us know what the cam guy said. Along with that do you have the cam specs for a comparison?

Although I have a very mild cam, the shaft rockers have never needed adjustment when checking in the 450 runs I have on my present engine. But I don’t run past 7100 on the track and the high rpm setting is at 7500.

After reading how hard you run your equipment, I’ve decided to continue running what I have to start the season much earlier than normal next year.

He told me that I should be good for at least 2000+ runs. But I need to be checking things because stuff does break. I am not complaining at all about a broken valve spring after 1400 passes. I average between 250-300 passes a year. I also have shaft rockers. I go 80-100 laps on an oil change also.

The cam is 267@.050 692 /276@.050 662. I shift at 6900, trap about 7000.

I run my stuff hard, but I take care of it. I always preheat the oil before starting and ensure that it stays around 180 degrees. Get the oil analysed on every change. Everytime I have had an issue, I saw a spike in wear metals. I believe rarely stuff all of sudden breaks, there are signs if you are paying attention. I also dont consider my stuff an extreme combo either, and I built it specifically to be easy on part. It has done that, but it has more than surpassed my expectation of performance.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
We've found that a set of lifters are usually good for one rebuild. They polish the lifter body so much that more than one rebuild will introduce some loose tolerances.

I would stick with a good quality roller bearing lifter for your combination. If you're running really high spring pressure, that's when you would want to switch to a bushed lifter in my opinion.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the lifters, the springs I use are the 1243, which are 650 open, 240 closed if memory serves me correctly. Knock on wood, I have never had a lifter problem, current set in there has about 500 laps on them. I only replace them in 2015 because I broke a connecting rod and it put metal though the motor.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bill that spring probably broke 4th round of box when you dropped dead zero on me. My .007 to your.006 left me nothing but to go to the concession stand and pull for ya the rest of the night. You had an awesome Thanksgiving weekend. I was proud of ya my friend.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff, your probably right. I cut that one a little closer than I wanted to. Luckily i didn't realize it was you until after. I probably would have put it red after the last azz whooping you gave me. Not worthy

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter